News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69' Charger Tail-Light Panel Repair:

Started by Captain D, August 16, 2009, 12:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi,

In just one month, I'm having my quarters, rear cross-member, rear valance, and end caps replaced on my 69' Charger. I thought about having the tail-light panel also replaced because there are a few holes present and I just like to do a thorough job on the car. However, I realize that we can have them patched w/ new sheet metal welded from inside the trunk area. Even though I'd like to replace the panel (b/c I can be a detail-freak at times), to those who have patched your tail-light panels:

- Did you just treat the metal from the inside, weld in the new sheet metal, and seam seal it all up real good?
- And on the exterior, primer the area, use short-strand fiberglass, spot putty, or just regular bondo?
- How well did it turn out? Durability? Any problems?

"Thank you" for any suggestions, tips, experiences, and pictures if possible,
Aaron

NMike

if you are having the whole back end replaced, why not just install a new tailight panel. the lab to repair it will be more than a new panel. plus it will be rust free.

Captain D

Thanks man for the reply,

Yeah, I thought about replacing it altogether too (since we're replacing a lot of it in the back anyhow), but it only has a few holes and I am trying to save some $$ where I can...especially since new tail-light panels run approx. $400. So, I was just curious to see if some folks here have welded in new metal in the back and fiberglassed the front smooth. If so, how things turned out...

Thanks again!
Aaron

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Captain D

Hey there Bill,

On my way to check the mail n' a reply coming back atcha.... :cheers:
All the best,
Aaron