News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

European seeking for help :(- finding and buying the 68-70 RT

Started by DuffBP, August 13, 2009, 12:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffBP

Hello guys,

I can spend about 30-35 000 (or maybe 40k) $. I know i wont get best one for that money but it doesnt matter, when i save up more money, it will be restaurated.

What do you think about these?

http://classiccars.com/classifieds/Listing.aspx?data=EEE38BB889AAA7CBDC294DDCFA097B0810E94A853A3D5A609AE2B57257634CA80CC9A4F1B9BC6CB06A0F53D80EA5AC5D42E94F853000A3774CA5B7053DD0B4A8BB1875B3E77D3A5298FE53CBD2D0D643&cs=11

http://classiccars.com/classifieds/Listing.aspx?data=7A5FA382C1B7B88F42928FC8AB9724CB1A199539C1CD22375DAF2AE7C7CFC613C0E1CF3BC141526B4C2B10178E37E9661DAD70D65B3EAA85B51321F1A085A5A6&cs=11 - this seems great, but i would prefer manual transmission if possible.

If you think i shoud buy another muscle for my limited budget, you are welcome to suggest  :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

that first link is WAY too high of a price for that car - the second seems to be more realistic however if you are looking for a manual transmission I would keep looking.

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

twodko

Hello DuffBP,

Welcome to the site! The second link is more in keeping with a car that can command top dollar. The first car is nowhere near as clean as that green R/T. Be very wary and careful when dealing with "classic car" brokers. Its always better to see/drive and inspect the car for yourself. If you're not mechanically inclined, bring someone who is with you to help verify the general condition of the car. Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

mikesbbody

DuffBP

Thanks for answering, I really appreciate it. The thing is, I actually cant travel to US because of trying and inspecting 1 car. I mean, i could if that car would be "it" but, what if it would be failure?

Is there any company or person which could be hired to do that job?

hemi68charger

Have you not found anything in Europe? I have a friend who lives in Holland that has a pretty good pulse on the Mopar scene over there... He's a member of the http://www.deadendcruisers.com/index2.html

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

b5blue

You really need to see it for yourself and drive it too! For the kind of money invested it would be worth it and an adventure also. Sure you could set up something but it's risky not to! Do you know much about these cars?  :scratchchin:

CB

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 14, 2009, 09:02:02 AM
Have you not found anything in Europe? I have a friend who lives in Holland that has a pretty good pulse on the Mopar scene over there... He's a member of the http://www.deadendcruisers.com/index2.html

Cheers,
Troy

buy a car in the US: $25,000 + $2,000 shipping + $ 1,500 taxes(*) = $28,500 total
buy the same car in Europe : you will pay $35,000-40,000
What would you do?  :scratchchin:
CB

(*) Holland tax

BTW, are you from Croatia? We have a member from Croatia here.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

b5blue

six-tee-nine

CB is right,

I bought my 69 in Belgium because I did'nt want to buy sight unseen and had not time to go travelling around the US to find the right car.
I wish I had gone trough the extra hassle of the travelling issue. I could have bought a nice driver instead of a rolling project car.....

If I could do it all over again..... :Twocents:

There are from time to time some nice cars in the for sal section or in the neighborhood of members who want to go check them out for you.
Really lot of great guys here.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Mike DC

This is important:  

DO NOT buy ANYTHING from a classic car dealer in Lake Villa, Illinois.

There is a classic car seller there and the business is extremely dishonest.  The owners have changed the name of the business several times, but it is always the same people and always dishonest.  They sell Chargers and a lot of "General Lee" replicas.  Everyone over here knows about their games but they still make money off people who are not informed.  

-----------------------------------------------

The members here will sometimes be able to go look at a car when you find one that is for sale near their location.  We try to do this for others whenever possible.  

I understand that it is impractical to continually fly over here looking at many cars.  But if you reduce your selections to just one or two cars then I would encourage you to make the trip before you spend the money.  One wasted plane ticket is expensive but it is still cheaper than getting severely burned on the car purchase.  

With $35,000 to spend, you should be able to purchase a very nice condition car, as long as you are not intent on getting a car with original "numbers" (cars with high factory-ordered options and everything in the drivetrain is still the original components).  If you don't mind replaced engines and a few optional components added that don't match the serial number, then your money will stretch much farther towards getting you a car that is in good condition and well optioned.

roger440

You have got to have someone you can trust to give a good opinion on a car, or find a few to look at and fly to the US for a few days and check them all out.

I know too many people who have bought from the US, sight unseen and have got burnt. That said, i know some who have done very well indeed. But 35k for something that turns out to be a project is very painful. And IMO, anything that isn't excellent is just a project in waiting.
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

DuffBP

Another problem is me, not being technical expert for cars, so even if I do travel to US and try the car, it wouldnt mean much.

Do you think i could get decent 69 RT for about 25k $ ?

six-tee-nine

Hang around here for a year or so (no the cars wont be gone in a year...) read trough the body section and use the two circular things at the left and right of your nose (eyes if I recall correct ;D).
You'll learn alot.

Do you really want an R/T? I think it only complicates things because everyone wants one... Think carefully of what you want, you might find a nice 69 driver non R/T wich has a non number matching 440 under the hood for 1/3 less than an R/T.
I might take a low option, mint small block car over a #'s matching big block anyday...

When I was where you are now I had only one view.... 69 69 69 69... Today I'd seriously look at every 70 modelyear for sale...(they grow on me :P)
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

DuffBP

Well, yeah, i really want an RT  ;D Though, i doesnt have to be 69, i would be happy with 68 or 70 too  :icon_smile_big:

@someone above- yes, i am from croatia.  :popcrn: