News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When old and new collide

Started by Ghoste, August 16, 2009, 11:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

So I wasn't that beer fogged after all.  I guess by the time you track down a pair of donor cars and spend a couple of years or even a year doing the labor but still, I'm not so sure there are all that many people out there right now who would pony up that sort of cash.  Are there?

bigred68

I really liked that (those) Chargers also. But, it kinda' seemed to me that the fabrication wouldn't be THAT difficult?  :shruggy: What I mean to say is, start with a decent '68 Charger body and a decent possibly wrecked, or stolen/recovery LH platform car, (any one of them would work, right?). Cut out the center section of the floor pans of both cars, weld the center section of the LH car into the center section of the B-body, 'VOILA. I know I may be WAAAY over simplifying, but, really ,isn't that what happened here? Actually, I was thinking the front end sat a little high, and the wheel diameter was little large for my taste. Also, not to hijack this thread but did anyone else notice the 10.98 second Cherry red '69 parked next to it at the NATS? REALLY nice car, nice guy, (from Colorado).

:cheers:

six-tee-nine

Every time i look at the pictures there pops the same question inmy head....

A modern engine in an old car i can get somehow, but who wants an ugly modern dash in a great looking old car......
IMO the Mopar ralleye gauges were the best looking dashes in the muscle car era...you just dont replace that. :Twocents:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Ponch ®

Something about the stance of those cars that just looks odd to me. Same thing with the one WCC built. Part of it is that the wheels have to be of a certain size (17's at least) and of certain offset to clear LX brakes.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 17, 2009, 01:50:49 PM
Something about the stance of those cars that just looks odd to me. Same thing with the one WCC built. Part of it is that the wheels have to be of a certain size (17's at least) and of certain offset to clear LX brakes.

I agree...those 20's look too large on there...looks like they did try and fatten up the sidewall though compared to mine...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Rolling_Thunder

Well I am knee deep with a similar project with a buddy of mine - We used a 2008 SRT8 Magnum and a 68 Dodge Charger...   The amount of fab work needed is higher than giraffe ****y...         We used the entire floor pan from the Magnum and all the suspension - granted our project is still in the midst of a build and is currently on a budget of $30,000 so it is nowhere near as nice as that one but the principal and work is the same....      The newer cars use a different type of steel than back in the day and it simply EATS spot weld cutters and is rather difficult to weld...    the harder parts is mating the stock 08 floors / wheel houses to the 68...       All the A/C, Firewall, Dash and such need to be trimmed and modified as well...    Inner fenders, structures, EVERYTHING needs to be worked on... 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Mike DC

Modern drivetrain & front seats & rear independent suspension is cool, but they lost me at the 2006 dashboard.  

These cars really force us to re-examine what we think we want in a resto-mod.  Just about the only difference from driving a 2006 car and this one is gonna be the looks that other people give it.  Is this the goal?  It seems like they might as well have just put chrome bumpers & trim on a modern 2009 Challenger type of retro-model.  

IMHO too much of the original car's character has been lost.  I don't find any single one of the changes too objectionable by itself, but I would not want the whole package.

Ghoste

Very good point Mike.  In some ways it isn't all that far removed from those Rolls Royce front end kits you could stick on your VW Bug.

Mike DC

QuoteIn some ways it isn't all that far removed from those Rolls Royce front end kits you could stick on your VW Bug.

Yes, that's a good analogy.  The baseline car is better than a beetle and the project is more extreme, but the jist is the same. 

It's not unlike a "kit car" where you reskin a Fiero like a Lamborghini or make a Beetle chassis look like a McLaren racecar.  Imagine if this guy had used a one-piece fiberglass mold of a 2nd-gen instead of manually welding on the 40yo steel Charger panels.   

I don't hate it, but it's a few steps farther than I would want to do.

Silver R/T

not fan of interior of those ones
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mauve66

it might help if they had changed to some other rims that fit the LX hubs but might be a little more nostalgic, might have helped the look of the wheels/wheel wells
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Mike DC

I like the subtle wheelwell work, though.  He stretched those front wheelwells upwards a bit and it really doesn't show if you're not looking for it.  It helps the car swallow the huge wheels without losing the good stance. 

Bill Howell

I have seen similar builds in the camaro world. Like others, I don't get the dash change, the car's exterior doesn't match the interior. IMO.
My 72 has the same type changes as this as far as drivetrain goes, fabbed to fit the old car, not the other way around. I know some will not agree with this, but there are much better suspensions out there than even the late model Charger frontend. My decision to go with the XV stuff was more costly than if I had found a new style donor, but I feel the end results will override the cost.
My car does have a DANA 60, another thing most purists demand in a restoration, whether it be original or resto rod, it has to be a dana.
You can stuff plenty of wheel and tire under the original body with just a little foresight. Better than new IMO.
Bill Howell

mikesbbody

I like it not sure about the wheel and tire combo though...