News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The 68-70 Chargers R/T's came with stiffer leaf springs correct?

Started by Blakcharger440, August 14, 2009, 11:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

I have the factory leaf springs on my 1970 Charger RT which are 6 leafs on the driver side and 7 leafs on the passenger side.

What did the non performance chargers come with? Did the spring rate make that much of a difference?

green69rt

My 69 Charger is a SE with the HD (heavy duty, not scat pack) suspension.  It had 5 leafs on the driver and 6 on the passenger side.

Mike DC

The 383 and 318 Chargers got 4-leaf springs.  The other b-bodies sometimes got as few as 3 leaves. 

The 440 & Hemi R/Ts all got the staggered "6 leaf" springs.  It's like two half-leaves on the right side or something.  

The "super stock" springs (bought over the counter at the dealerships back in the day) are a stiffer notch yet, and their arch & length is a little different from the regular assembly-line springs.  

If you wanna do straight-launch drag racing then stiffer is better.  The factory 6-leaf staggered setup is great for the street as long as your tire sizes are within reason.  SS springs are damn stiff.  

If you want ride & handling, then forget about the SS springs.  Even the stock R/T springs are actually a bit too stiff for ideal, although they are a pretty decent choice for this job.  Maybe something like 5 leaves would be best here (along with some sway bars and other stuff).