News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Power Windows

Started by Moparbob, August 14, 2009, 05:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Very strange thing has happened,

Ive been setting my car up with power windows, front and rear. I scored a complete set of regulators and harness.

A few months ago i installed the regulators and harness to test. Everything worked fine. Anyway now that I am closing up the doors,, the widow ALL work fine from the main (4 gang switch) and the drivers rear works fine from its switch but the pass door and pass rear wont work from their switches.

I checked and they get power when switched but no ground.

I have checked the cars ground and its fine. What would cause them all to work from the drivers door but not let them work at their switches.

Also, I checked EVERY wire with an ohm meter.
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Topher

Do they ground back through the main switch? I remember GMs working that way back when I worked in a dealer many moons ago.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Moparbob

Yes,, and thats where im wondering the problem is.The main switch I bought and it was supposed to be a reconditioned one.
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

71_deputy

if the harness is used there could be a problem with the wiring in the drivers door to the door post as they do twist there when you open/close the door.. it could be the ground wire or the + 12 volts that goes to the rest of the body wiring of the window harness!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

moparjohn

Any chance you have the wires in the white clip backwards (on the two window switches) and it's ground out/reversed?
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Moparbob

Quote from: moparjohn on August 14, 2009, 09:33:33 PM
Any chance you have the wires in the white clip backwards (on the two window switches) and it's ground out/reversed?

Dont think so, the plugs are color coated and have alignment slots,, but Ill check. Im thinking is a ground issue in the main switch since all the windows work correctly from the main,, sound right?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Anyone know how to test these switches?

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

1969chargerrtse

Flippin got me?  When I took my panels off to replace the window motors, I ended up with the pass front window off the main driver side switch as running backwards.  The pass side works correct but the driver switch is reversed for the same window.  Pushing up is down.  I tried to figure it out also and decided the next owner can. :-\
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Moparbob

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 16, 2009, 07:48:50 PM
Flippin got me?  When I took my panels off to replace the window motors, I ended up with the pass front window off the main driver side switch as running backwards.  The pass side works correct but the driver switch is reversed for the same window.  Pushing up is down.  I tried to figure it out also and decided the next owner can. :-\

hee hee,, There must be  someone who knows how to test these switches  :pity:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

2Gunz

Find me a wiring diagram and I should be able to tell you.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Topher

You need alligator clips so you can clip your leads to the studs on the back of the switch. According to the diagram the stud between the upper left ones in the pic is the ground. Clip the black lead of the meter onto that stud and then go to each of the other studs and toush the red lead to them individually and rock the switch to test for continuity. If the meter reads across it then it's ok, move to the next one until you find the one that doesn't read when you rock the switch. You should be able to take the switch apart and clean the contacts inside it, just be careful and mindful of the springs and where they come from.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

RAWPWR

did you try the drive's rear switch in the pass side locations? start with a switch that you know works "now". when the switchs are installed or not they do not pick up ground from the car by contact. I beleive ground is it's own wire and not "frame" from installation. also try and hot wire the two motors, on the wire lugs, one will be the up and the other down. could be just bad luck that the two failing are on the same side of the car..
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

gasoline_24

I am having similar problems with mine.  I am waiting on a new master switch and we will see if that works.  You can run power and ground to the wires right at the master switch and see if they work.

Moparbob

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

gasoline_24

I figured mine out last night.  First I had to get the master hooked up and then I could get the drivers rear to work and the passenger rear would go up but not down.  I tried the drivers rear switch on passenger switch and it worked.  I switched out the passenger switch with another I had and everything was a go.  I then had to replace the bezel onto the working switch and I will try again and make sure it works after installation.

Moparbob

Kewl,

The problem with these switches is they share grounds through the contacts when the switches are centered,, if one of the contacts is bad the grounds dont swap.
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

gasoline_24

That is what I found.  It appears the switches get worn and the spring loaded portion on one side or both do not maintain their contact.  If it goes one direction it is just one of the springs not makning contact.  If it won't go either direction it is both not making contact.  You can try to rebend the contacts somewhat to help out.  That is what I  did and it made the problem one start working.  I did find out that somebody changed out the plug on the drivers side to what appears to be a GM plug using the factory wiring.  I am now trying to hunt down a factory harness for the drivers side so I can hook up my factory main switch.  If you have one or know of one let me know.

Moparbob

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.