News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not Charger related Q - Looking for thread adatper? Do they make such a thing?

Started by Corellian Corvette, August 09, 2009, 01:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Sorry for the random question. Not Charger related but smart guys here on the forum may be able to help.

I'm trying to install a very nice aftermarket wood 4-speed shift knob on my original 1965 Olds 442.

The shift knob is 5/16 x 18 threads. The shift knob recieves 1/2 x 13 threads.

I'm looking for something that I thought would be easy to find. something with threads on both inside and outside that I can screw in and "upsize" the threads. Alas.. an internet search leads me nowhere.

Any ideas guys?

tecmopar

One of those thread sizes must be the lever and the other the inside of the knob, yes??

b5blue

Just use a plastic/nylon bushing they use to come with knobs back in the day.

Corellian Corvette

yes that's is. The Shift Rod is 5/16 x 18.

The hole in the knob is 1/2 x 13

Tilar

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on August 09, 2009, 11:42:10 AM
The Shift Rod is 5/16 x 18.

The hole in the knob is 1/2 x 13

That would be an easy fix that you can do in any garage with a vice and a tap and die set. Get a 1/2-13 bolt an inch long or so, Drill and tap a 5/16-18 thread in the center of the threaded end and then cut it off however long you want it to be.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Dodgecharger74

A real quick fix is fill knob with JB weld and let set up .  You will never get it off again??
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

68 RT

Usally aftermarket shift knobs come with 3 or 4 diffrent adaptor bushing. Go to home depot lowes etc tell them you need a pipe bushing the size you need. I did this to put a t handle shifter on a t case stick.  Also I'm sure Summit racing sells the bushings too.

plumbeeper

Another possible option would be a thread insert like Heli-Coil. Might have to step up a couple though.

Dave

http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS