News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with a 340

Started by 280bb0, August 07, 2009, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

280bb0

hey guys need your help working on a 1971 dodge challenger with a 1972 340 in it. went to change a leaking intake manafold and found the cam to have a good amount of wear so the tear down started, pulled the balancer off and found a crack near the key way the balancer says on it use for 340 with cast crank only. Problem is  how do I know what crank is really in it and 2 if it is a cast crank does anyone have a balancer I can buy ??? please help this is turning into a night mare

quapman

Hopefully someone will post pics, but a cast crank has thin parting lines (where the two halves of the "mold" meet, and the steel crank will have a very thick section at the parting line.

I've seen 72 340's with both types of crank.

Sounds like the motor went bad due to modern oil with too little zinc or "ZDDP".

Everyone I talk to says to use Valvoline racing oil.

Have you posted a "parts wanted" ad?

Are you on cuda-challenger.com ??

280bb0

Thanks for the info Have not posted a part needed yet but will soon if anybody has a pic of the 2 types of crank that would be great!! 

280bb0

anyway to tell from where the balancer bolts???

quapman

Quote from: 280bb0 on August 08, 2009, 12:04:58 PM
anyway to tell from where the balancer bolts???

Not as far as I know.

John_Kunkel

Look at the engine serial number stamped in the front opf the block just below the cylinder head, if there is an E in the number it has a cast crank.

Late '72 (after 4-11-1972) and all '73 340's have cast cranks.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

280bb0

Hey thanks for the info and yes it has the E

Brian