News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking of buying this charger, advice?

Started by Rosco, August 08, 2009, 03:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosco

Alright, well I'm looking at a Charger to buy....

It's a 68, nothing spesh like RT or SE, not sure if its numbers matching... I don't think so, but it doesnt matter to me anyway.

Its got a 383 in it - Needs a full rebuild according to the guy selling the car... I'm not an engine guy, but it doesn't look healthy... Transmission and the rest of the drivetrain are in average "drivable" condition.

Only spots of major rust are the trunk floor and driver's side quarter panel. Trunk floor is being replaced with a new one for the sale. Rails are good, roof, valance panels, around windows all good. Usual surface rust/primer/original paint/various dirt combination to be found all over body.

Car is a console shift auto, has factory disc brakes and factory power windows, also has a tic-toc-tach.

The guy is asking $17,000, including having the new trunk floor welded (by a professional panelbeater/body work guy who has done many similar repairs for the seller), or $16,500 for the car and the new trunk floor (not welded in, ready to 'do-it-yourself'). All prices are in Australian Dollars... about $14,000 USD equivilant.

Worth it?

Anything else I should find out?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: added in the currency (AU Dollars, US Dollars, etc)
"She needs premium, Dude! PREMIUM!!"

quapman

In the current market, that's an R/T price. If it needed NO bodywork and had fresh paint, maybe. With an engine rebuild, the quarter installation, etc., etc., you'll be at $30K (total) before you know it. Will the car be worth $30K? Probab;y not. Could you buy a better or DONE car now for $30k? More than likely.  :Twocents:

Rosco

Oh, I just realised, since this is the world wide web, I should've said that was $17,000 Australian Dollars...
According to the first currency converter found by Google, that translates to roughly $ 14,000 US Dollars.

Will add that too the first post...

Also, what things should I look at, what else should I find out about it?

Blown70

I personally would say from your description that ($14,000) is still too much money... From the sounds you really do need to do a lot of work yet and would have easy $30,000 (as mentioned prior) plus when done.  I dont know what a motor rebuild would cost there but a good once over could be $3,000 depending on what you do with the motor.  Paint: full paint for a good job here can be $10,000.  Now what "If" there are things you DONT see in the pictures,  To be honest you might be missing some frame rot that is not showing up.  DO you have anyone that could LOOK at the car state side, I assume its here.?

Tom

bull

Pictures would help a lot. That said, if there's rust in the trunk and one quarter you can assume there's probably rust in 3-5 other places too. I'd say he's asking about twice what it's worth, especially if the engine needs a rebuild. That's $3k-$6k right there.

68r/t

Quote from: Rosco on August 08, 2009, 03:39:04 AM
Alright, well I'm looking at a Charger to buy....

It's a 68, nothing spesh like RT or SE, not sure if its numbers matching... I don't think so, but it doesnt matter to me anyway.

Its got a 383 in it - Needs a full rebuild according to the guy selling the car... I'm not an engine guy, but it doesn't look healthy... Transmission and the rest of the drivetrain are in average "drivable" condition.

Only spots of major rust are the trunk floor and driver's side quarter panel. Trunk floor is being replaced with a new one for the sale. Rails are good, roof, valance panels, around windows all good. Usual surface rust/primer/original paint/various dirt combination to be found all over body.

Car is a console shift auto, has factory disc brakes and factory power windows, also has a tic-toc-tach.

The guy is asking $17,000, including having the new trunk floor welded (by a professional panelbeater/body work guy who has done many similar repairs for the seller), or $16,500 for the car and the new trunk floor (not welded in, ready to 'do-it-yourself'). All prices are in Australian Dollars... about $14,000 USD equivilant.

Worth it?

Anything else I should find out?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: added in the currency (AU Dollars, US Dollars, etc)

Is the car owned by a guy named Tony,  in Melbourne?

Rosco

Yes 68r/t, its is owned by him. I assume you know him/that car...

I went to check it out yesterday, but I'm no expert, thats why I'm on here picking your brains as to what else to look out for.

68r/t

Quote from: Rosco on August 08, 2009, 07:24:51 PM

I went to check it out yesterday, but I'm no expert, thats why I'm on here picking your brains as to what else to look out for.

When I was looking for a Charger  a few years ago I looked at few that he had and they all had major rust issues, Tony thought otherwise, everything was  an easy fix  he would say ( full quarters etc).
I got the same story he could get the rust fixed for x amount.
He buys allot of cars from the northern states that are badly rusted.
If your looking at one of his cars take someone with you that knows body work etc because the cost will skyrocket once you get a 20 grand panel and paint job.
I personally would not by from him but I have not seen the car that your looking at.

OldGuy

If there is rust in the trunk, you had better check the floor pans, window wells, lower quarter panels, and wheel well seams in the trunk, as well.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Rosco

Quote from: 68r/t on August 08, 2009, 11:56:33 PM
Quote from: Rosco on August 08, 2009, 07:24:51 PM

When I was looking for a Charger  a few years ago I looked at few that he had and they all had major rust issues, Tony thought otherwise, everything was  an easy fix  he would say ( full quarters etc).
I got the same story he could get the rust fixed for x amount.
He buys allot of cars from the northern states that are badly rusted.
If your looking at one of his cars take someone with you that knows body work etc because the cost will skyrocket once you get a 20 grand panel and paint job.
I personally would not by from him but I have not seen the car that your looking at.

Yes, but everything is an easy fix if you have the money...

Thanks everyone for the advice. Guess I'll keep looking for a while anyway, since I just encountered some family problems which drain my funds... I could still afford the charger, but then have no money left after... not a very sound financial situation... And i'd hate to get one, then have to sell it a couple months later because I need cash.

1969chargerrtse

To much money for what your getting. This is a buyers market, people are begging to sell their cars. The cost of restoring it will be twice what you think. If you have that kind of money you could find many more in better shape and maybe even a real R/T which would be more valuable in the long run.  :Twocents:  My car cost me 30,000.00 back in the day when money was easy to get and I fixed it up here and there and that was another 15,000.00 and there is still more to do.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

charger_fan_4ever

I bought a 70 r/t in about the same shape a year ago. Needs the works but a solid uni body and frame rails. I paid $5k and it is 95% complete with a pretty nice grill and front bumper.

I have found 3 68-70 r/t's on craigslist this past week all for 10k or less
a 68 r/t from florida media blasted for 10k
69 r/t for $7,500 needs a lot but solid unibody and frame rails
70 r/t #'s match rebuilt engine with minimal rust for 8k!!!!

aussiemuscle

i've been following prices of chargers in australia for a few years now. 17 grand is a pig steal  :2thumbs: for you. jump now!
average condition charger START at 25-30k and good ones like RTs are over the 60k mark.  :shruggy:

G-man

If its drivable get it.

I paid 40k AU total for my 68 charger. But it is totaly mechanicaly new. Front end suspension, T bars, Sway bar, Polygraphite bushings, bilstein shocks, super stock leafs, poly bushes for that, front and rear spring hangers, shackles, U-bolts, power steer oil leak fixed, fuel leak fixed,oil sump leak fixed, spark plugs, pro comp coil new, 750hp double pumper holley new, dual plane manifold new, NOS exterior mirrors, all seat belts new, original bolts, 1150 clamp load clutch new, remachined flywheel, clutch linkages, reverse light switch, serviced radiator, electric fan, new fan shroud... probbably some other things to. It is also a 4-speed 383ci car (not original). Just the 4 speed would cost 5000 to convert which brings your price from 17k - 22k, then you have all that rust issue which mine did not have. I would see you around 50k before its resembling what mine is. Might be worth it but then again you may end up with huge $$$ to fix all the stuff you never expected costing way more. 17k is a steal if you can gurantee no hidden supprise rust etc otherwise you will blow the budget. Is it a private seller or company seling the car?

17k does seem to be either

A: steal
B: More likely are stuffed up car hes trying to get rid of because he knows what its going to cost to get that thing normal.

I know a guy that baught a challenger 74 model in melbourne, paid 18k for it, was meant to be running and decent condition (just few rust spots here and there). Once he got it, engine was dead, needs a whole new engine, then, rust was hidden well with bondo/paint (way more rust then expected), then, nothing was matching numbers as was claimed, radiator had a hole in it etc. Cost him over 40k for a 74 challenger he wont get more than 20-25k for as it sits.

Soon a car has rust, and = under 20k (when normaly here you should be paying 30k for a shell) EXPECT something to be realy wrong with it. You might be lucky but some reason I dont see your chance in it being luck but someone elses trash there trying to get rid of.

GL either way.

Where in AU are u/car at?