News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

click click click click click click sound on my 70

Started by mjwebb, August 04, 2009, 08:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwebb

ok, we've all heard this at some point when cranking over our cars but I can't remember what it typically implies, starter, solenoid, battery/ground...it clicks occassionally but then I turn the key off and crank again and it starts

thanks!

ODZKing

I've had a issue where the starter was right on the edge of going bad.  If you smack it, it would loosen up and move. So sometimes it would turn, some not.   :shruggy:

bearbqd

Could be a number of things. Check your battery connections. Make sure they are tight and free of corrosion and that the wires are firmly in the clamps. Your starter relay could be starting to go bad. Your ignition switch might be going bad. Check all wiring in the starting circuit and the ones all leaving the ignition switch. If all looks good, I'd start with a starter relay first as they are cheap. However, if you are hearing a click then it sounds like the contacts in the relay are at least connecting. They may have arced enough times inside though that its not allowing full voltage to the starter. Of course your starter itself could be going bad too. If you suspect the starter, you can always put some jump wires directly to it and see if it turns everytime you touch the wires to the terminals. That would most likely rule out the starter. Hope this helps.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

TylerCharger69

could be bad connection, but chances are, seeing as how it sounds like the solenoid is activating, but not the starter,  the starter motor may be going south.   Check the connections first though.

GN

covet66

Same here- sometimes she would start, other times it would just give one click. If you played with the key a bit it would usually start. Installed a new mini starter and no more 'click'

bearbqd

Yeah, I was tired of the Chrysler starter anyway and put a mini from 440Source in it. Cranks like a scalded monkey and sounds great as far as starters go. Anything sounds better than a Chrysler starter though. Paid a fraction of what other minis cost and have had zero problems with it. Now I gotta put one in my Cuda.  I know people on here rip on 440Source for bad service and some bad parts, but my one dealing with them with the starter went fine.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

mjwebb

cleaned up and tightened all terminals, cranked it over...click click click click click click

called on a starter, they had reconditioned ones but I thought, what the heck, take the battery out and have it checked first...it was bad, put a new one in, fired right up......thanks for all the input, just passing along for knowledge sharing

the one that died was a Die Hard but I don't know how old it was....we had a week here in Portland, Oregon of 100+ degree weather and I drove it to some cruise ins...(black interior, no A/C and 105 out...:-(

that combined with not having the heat crossover blocked made starting a real chore, about drained the battery every time trying to start it...combo of extreme temperature and inherently poor starting anyway probably was the straw that broke the camel's back