News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5 BUCK CHARGER WEB SITE

Started by mike r, August 04, 2009, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike r

Hi Guys,

I am new to this site and it has helped me greatly already. I have been a charger fan all my life. I have finally decided it was time to make my dream a reality. I started looking for my charger, I contacted a very good friend of mine who is a huge charger fan. He pointed me to this site. I have found a couple locally and he was kind enough to take a look at them for me (nothing really paned out). He has a super sweet 1970 charger, I made him an offer $15000 (as a start) he then told me he was going to do this web site 5buckcharger.com and he doesn't want to just sell it. He feels that it would be nice for him to sell the car and possibly make somebody's dream come true. Not everybody has $15000 to $30000 to spend on a car but maybe somebody who has $5, a story gust might possibly have a charger this time next year. Tom is a Great guy!!! and his car is even nicer. He knows how much of a charger fan I am, he offered me to take the car for the week end a couple years back, I just couldn't. it would have been to nerve racking, god forbid if something happened, it was such a nice offer though and I know he meant it. The thing is, I need my charger now. Don't get me wrong, I will put my $5 in and summit my essay I just cant count on my essay skills to win me a charger :-) If there is one thing I learned as a married man with 2 kids is......when the wife gives you the go ahead to spend $.....especially on your self, you do it!! and do it fast!!!!!! I just purchased the blue 1968 charger all original from arizona (that was posted on the swap meat page last week) it should be arriving on friday :-) 

The thing is this, I seen Tom posting his charger on this site and wanted to let you all know what I know about him and his Charger. If it wasnt for this site I wouldt have found my charger. I have also found some really great people, with some really awesome cars. Thank you for letting me be a part of it.

Mike Ryan

moparstuart

welcome lets see some pictures of your dream car ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69bronzeT5

Here's a link to the website :cheers:

www.5buckcharger.com
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mike r

Hi, Thank you very much. The Charger is on its way to me as we speak. I will be sure to post some pictures when she arrives on Friday. I have some Pictures Simon sent me when they were loading her up, I will try and post them.

Thanks again
Mike

rav440

Quote from: moparstuart on August 04, 2009, 07:36:40 PM
welcome lets see some pictures of your dream car ?

2nd that .  :cheers:

i wonder how many people will send the $5.00 and an essay . is it legal to do a raffel like that ?

good luck
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

mike r

Hi Guys,

These are some pictures of my charger, it has a 383 with matching #'s and build sheets

I hope you enjoy them
Mike

Dodge Don

I'm not sure I'd agree the car is worth 25k however interesting way to make 33k or more for the car. Not sure about US laws however here you'd need to be licensed and would need an reputable accounting firm to audit/validate authenticity and process guidelines.

The logistics of giving back $4 to thousands of people should he not meet the 6600 requirement is a nightmare.

Skinypete

I think that i'll be waiting for a couple weeks until I found out if this is legal or not, but what a great way to get a charger for only $5 bucks! And kudos to you on the find! :drool5:
DJMIII

mike r

Hi,

That is a very good question. I know it took him some time to get everything checked into. When I asked him the same question about it being legal (i was trying to get him to sell it to me)  he said it was all legal. If he said it is, I have to believe him. He is one of the most honest guys I know. I am sure he will answer any questions you ask him.

Again, its not my site, I dont know much about it. I do know Tom, he is a great guy and his Charger is awesome!!!

Regards
  Mike

RecklessYouth

I was eyeballin that same 68 Charger all last week! Glad to see it went to a good home. Youll have to let us know how it turns out. I think the 5 Buck Charger is a great idea. Im gonna write my essay soon!  :2thumbs:

mike r

Hi guys,

Thank you very much. Yes, I am very excited, I cant wait till friday. It keeps me up at night, I feel like a kid again Christmas night waiting for the morning. I wouldn't have found her with out this site. I will be sure to post more pictures when she arrives.

Thanks again
 Mike

teamroth

Quote from: Skinypete on August 04, 2009, 08:52:47 PM
I think that i'll be waiting for a couple weeks until I found out if this is legal or not, but what a great way to get a charger for only $5 bucks! And kudos to you on the find! :drool5:

:iagree:
That's what I was thinking
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

kurgan383

Hey guys, I'm Tom from www.5buckcharger.com... My buddy Mike told me he started a thread on this.  I read all the posts and I saw the questions... First, it is legal.  I contacted a lawyer (that I found on the NYS gambling law site!) and as long as the contest is clearly defined (essay on why I should give you my car) and it's in a specified time frame. (August 3rd 2009 - August 2nd 2010)  Yes, it's true I have over 25K into it over the last 11 years and with the purchase price I know the car is not worth what I have into it.  I'd estimate it's worth in the low 20's.  Also, giving everyone $4 back if the site doesn't meet the requirements shouldn't be that bad... I have a lot of down time at work :)  Anyway thanks for your thoughts and I look forward to reading your essays.  Oh, I got my first essay from a guy in Ohio!   

Finn

Very cool!
Did you purchase that charger site-unseen or did you have someone take a look at it for you?
Make sure to post more pictures up once you get it!
:popcrn:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

68X426

Tom: great idea. You are creative. I hope you score 100k.  :2thumbs:

I am now inspired to launch 5dollarwife.com. The essays will be interesting.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Khyron

hmmmmmmm, i dont buy it. sorry.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

68charger383

Quote from: kurgan383 on August 04, 2009, 10:01:49 PM
Hey guys, I'm Tom from www.5buckcharger.com... Anyway thanks for your thoughts and I look forward to reading your essays.  Oh, I got my first essay from a guy in Ohio!    

Sorry for being a doubting Thomas, but is that the car that was sold recently on ebay for $12,500?   :scratchchin:

Quote from: Khyron on August 04, 2009, 10:41:41 PM
hmmmmmmm, i dont buy it. sorry.

:iagree:

The pictures look very familar, could you put a picture on the site of you sitting on the hood like you did with your previous chargers, but this time holding a soccer/football/basketball. Just so we know you own the car.  :yesnod:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: mike r on August 04, 2009, 07:25:20 PM

" I contacted a very good friend of mine who is a huge charger fan. He pointed me to this site. "

" The thing is this, I seen Tom posting his charger on this site "

Mike Ryan
:scratchchin:  Tom looks like he is a new member with what 4 posts ? Looks a little shakey ?

moparheater

so the way i understand it, it's an essay contest, not a random drawing???

kurgan383

hey guys... here are some more answers... No, the car was not sold recently on ebay for $12,500... I tried to sell it last year and someone hit the "buy it now" button (20K) and never called, emailed or even looked at the car!  I got fed up after that and haven't tried to sell since.  I bought it in the summer of '98.  Yes it is an essay contest, not a random drawing.  I've been a member for a while.  I haven't posted much, but the community here helped me when the rod that connects my steering wheel to the steering box came apart.  Yes, I can have another pic of me in the same driveway sitting on the hood, with a basketball.  For now, I ran into the barn and set the camera to auto and took this pic of me next to the car holding a basket ball!(don't laugh...it's late and Wife + new baby = no help!)

Chad

I think you should change it to a fight club contest, last man standing.  :popcrn:

Im digging that blue charger, when looking to buy one i ran across several that had been re-painted but the door jams showed that baby blue, it looks great with that white top, im guessing white interior too?  :2thumbs:
"Well, I'll say this: climbing can kill you, but women can destroy you. There's a big difference, y'know."--Derek Hersey

dads_69

Quote from: Chad on August 05, 2009, 12:07:35 AM
I think you should change it to a fight club contest, last man standing.  :popcrn:

Im digging that blue charger, when looking to buy one i ran across several that had been re-painted but the door jams showed that baby blue, it looks great with that white top, im guessing white interior too?  :2thumbs:
Ha, I had that same thought minutes ago, last man standing. Count me in if so. I love the look of that '68.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Red Ram

From Washington State Gambling Commission and Attorney General...on a similar promotions...if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Essay Contests
You Could Win this House......
This information sheet has been a cooperative effort of the Attorney General's Office, Washington State Gambling Commission
and the Washington State Department of Licensing.
Or .....Maybe not. Ads like this for "Essay
Contests" -- promising to give away houses,
businesses and other property all based upon the
contestant's writing skill -- have become a common
sight in local newspapers and magazines. Is it as
simple as it sounds? Not really.
In a typical contest, a "small" fee (of $100.00
or so) is charged to enter. Contestants then write a
essay of about 250 words on "why it would be nice to
own a house in beautiful ________, Washington," and
win their chance at a dream house. When enough
entries are received, the prize is supposed to be
awarded.
It may sound like a neat idea, but we don't
know of any houses that have actually been given
away in Washington. Usually there aren't enough
contestants to pay for the house, so the contest is
cancelled or postponed to allow for more entries.
There is a tremendous potential for fraud in
these contests. Someone could collect all the money
and fail to give away the house. Or, they could give it
to a relative or someone who has paid them on the
side. The only reason these events are staged as essay
contests and not raffles is that it takes them beyond the
jurisdiction of the Gambling Commission. However,
that doesn't mean the Attorney General's office can't
act if the contest is conducted in a way that is unfair or
deceptive.
Essay contests aren't considered gambling if
the award is really based upon merit or skill.
Therefore, they are not illegal. But there are many
questions consumers should ask if they are thinking
about entering such a contest:
(1) Does the person running the contest
actually own property? It may seem obvious, but can
the contest sponsor really give you the property if you
win? Is there a mortgage or other debt on the property?
In one contest to give away a service station, it turned
out that the gas tanks and pumps were about to be
repossessed.
(2) Are the location and characteristics of
the property being misrepresented? Is your new
dream house in a swamp? In Timbuktu? What kind of
condition is it in? Usually, the motivation for running
such a contest is that the sponsor can't sell the house
or business on the open market.
(3) Is there any assurance that the money
won't disappear? Has the contest sponsor set up a
separate escrow or trust account where the money will
be held until the contest is over? Will they name the
trustee or escrow company? Are the entry fees being
paid directly to the escrow agent? If the money is
being spent to promote the contest itself, or for other
expenses, there may not be any left for refunds.
(4) If the contest is cancelled, do you get a
refund? If so, is it a full or partial refund? Is there a
separate processing fee? Is a portion of the entry fee
"non-refundable"? Some contest sponsors keep 10-20
percent of the entry fee for "costs".
(5) When will the prize be awarded? Has a
specific date been set for when the contest will end?
How many entries are required? A dishonest sponsor
can avoid paying refunds by repeatedly extending the
contest.
(6) Is the contest bonded? Bonding is a form
of insurance that is one way to guarantee that the prize
will be actually awarded, or that refunds can be made
if the contest is not completed.
(7) Who will judge the contest? How are
judges selected? Are they truly independent? What are
their qualifications?
(8) What are the judges looking for? Are
there specific standards or criteria that have to be met?
One sure tip-off that an essay contest is not
completely on the up and up: a sponsor who claims
government approval. Although the Attorney
General's Office and the Gambling Commission are
often asked whether these contests are legal, they do
not approve or license them. If the contest sponsor is
implying they have government approval or a license,
they are not being honest. If you have concerns that a
contest is being conducted fraudulently, call the
Consumer Fraud Division of the Attorney General's
Office at (800) 551-4636.
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

1969chargerrtse

My sister won a trip to Africa on a essay contest. And actually went.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Shakey

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on August 04, 2009, 11:19:26 PM
Quote from: mike r on August 04, 2009, 07:25:20 PM

" I contacted a very good friend of mine who is a huge charger fan. He pointed me to this site. "

" The thing is this, I seen Tom posting his charger on this site "

Mike Ryan
:scratchchin:  Tom looks like he is a new member with what 4 posts ? Looks a little shakey ?

ummm, excuse me?   :shruggy: