News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bought a 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4 [UPDATE 2/25/2014]

Started by TruckDriver, October 13, 2011, 07:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Looks great...I'll be ordering a saddle one soon.

Way I remember it 98-01 had it the worst...Factory tried to back out of it as an issue attributing it to basically owner neglect...that is not the case.

I cared for mine just like the Charger and it cracked, albeit much later than the others.

Over time the sun will take a toll on things, but the crack pattern (straight, almost always from mounting points or joints) indicates an error in the manufacturing process...That's why when you're in the scrap yard and see the older plastic dashes cracked from the sun they spider...

Most Rams seemed to go over the cluster, which can then take a toll on wiring (think that is where the class action suit came from).  Mine cracked on the LH bezel (same fracture), and then on the passenger side above the glove box...it started at that recessed mounting point and worked forward...slowly becoming more and more pronounced...It is almost like peanut brittle.

How does your new LMC one feel?  Looking forward to seeing if it is thicker etc.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

TruckDriver

It is thicker, and it even feels like a totally different plastic. Well worth the money so far. I bought the 5 custom washers LMC has for the dash mounting, that disperse the stress from the screw tightening area. They are listed on the same page here

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=93

Here is a video I found from 2008 on the dash problem, that was done by a tv station. The lady has the same issues i do with mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-gyefJmlos
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TexasStroker

You actually got the full on dash pad replacement, not the cover!  I am glad you linked that cat. pg. bc last I had checked they were WAY higher.  I hadn't been keeping tabs, but I'm thinking LMC made that one (as the article indicates) and replaced what ever the old part was with their own...It sounds like a killer deal and when you think about it, the price isn't that much higher.  Dealerships wanted $900 back in the day...when I decided I'd replace my dash I found ones online for around $400-600, none of which had great reviews.

I think I'll see how your install goes and then possibly pull the trigger on one soon myself!  I have been driving the truck the last few weeks and that passenger side crack is getting worse and worse.

Interior should look great once you've installed the new dash!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TruckDriver

4/27/13 Was in the mid 60's here, so I went out and installed my new headlights and fog lights. I should actually be able to see where I m driving at night now, instead of just aiming.  :lol:

Before

After

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TruckDriver

5/6/2013 Well, I didn't have to work today, so I installed the new reproduction dash cover made of ABS plastic, and my new Kenwood stereo. Took about 8 hours to do it all.

This is how it looked when I started. All I did was remove the housing around the gauges and the fake carpet cover over the dash that was there when I bought the truck. As you can see, it was total junk.

Have to remove the air bag, and the glove box. This was very easy. Just all those screws, and 2 hidden behind the glove box.

These were a pain to remove. One on each side of the defroster vents, 8 total. They all were put in at the factory before the dash was installed in the truck. There are 5 of the main metal brackets, each with one of the damn little screws too. I did not re-install the little screws, all 14 of them. The dash is good and tight with out them. And I wasn't removing the whole dash to get them in either.

How the dash looked with all the old junk removed.

This middle one was for a air duct, and was screwed into the dash too. This one did not get put back in either.

Just resting there, it looks better.

Had to go in through the headlight switch location to get this screw back in. took a half hour just for this screw.

Passenger side window defroster vent was a bitch to hook up again. Took a hour just for this screw, cause to get your arm through everything, and push up so you can turn the screw and yeah. Very tight fit under there.

Much better!

The factory radio.

The New Kenwood

DONE!!! All I need to do inside is the door speakers, and vacuum :P
PETE

ACUDANUT

Looks great.  BTW, it must stink in there to have 3 air fresheners.  :smilielol:

TruckDriver

PETE

TexasStroker

Very cool...huge improvement with the new lenses and especially the dash!

I got my catalog from LMC two weeks ago or so...their dash looks to be the way to go to finally resolve the factory's issues.  I figured a lot of the hardware would be a pain..almost one of those things where having the windshield out would make it easier...which is usually not a good sign.

Just fyi, my glovebox "pin" broke a few years ago...yours seems to be in good shape, but the entire door kind of relies on that same lackluster plastic in a tiny diameter to serves as the solid point in the slotted hinge...hard to describe it, but never let a gf stuff something in the glove box and try to shut it.

Hard to believe just 12 years ago these higher end trucks were equipped with the cd/cassette deck option  :o  Things sure do change fast...Fwiw, that factory stereo in my 01 remains one of the best I have ever heard (factory that is...totally slaughters the modern day 130 4 speaker).

What's next for your Ram?
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TruckDriver

It wouldn't be so much removing the windshield. That still would not allow you to get at a few of the screws. Removing the dash is what you would have to do to make it easy. But still, all those screws I did not put back in, were not needed. I have no rattles at all. Next I have to install the new stereo speakers, then body work.
PETE

TruckDriver

Got my front windows tinted at 35%. Cost was $100.
PETE

Indygenerallee

Looks good but you should have tinted your front windows yourself, I buy the pre-cut window tint kits off Ebay for any vehicle I do, last one I bought did the entire truck for $25.00
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

TruckDriver

I never get them to turn out as good or last as long. This guy warranties the work for a few months too.
PETE

FJMG

That sure is a sharp truck, love the wheels!
I do not know what it is but my 97 still has the original dash and looks great and my buddy's 01 still has a perfect dash too. Heck even when in the wrecking yard I hardly see a cracked dash.  :shruggy:

TruckDriver

Thanks! I miss owning a older Mopar, so for now, this is my baby  ;)

BTW - the wheel are the factory "off road" package wheels.
PETE

TexasStroker

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

ACUDANUT

TruckDriver

PETE