News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

starting problems with 440

Started by charger2fast4u, August 02, 2009, 03:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i bought a 73 challenger with a 440 and a 727. the last owner put in a mini high torque starter but i don't know what brand it is. my problem is when i go to start my car after i just shut it off it struggles to restart like the starter isn't getting enough  juice or something turns over once then almost dies then cranks again and usually starts turning over like normal. i'm thinking the starter is getting hot from the headers they are hooker comp headers and is causing the starter to overheat and lose full cranging output.is there any other opinions.

The70RT

Quote from: charger2fast4u on August 02, 2009, 03:20:08 PM
i bought a 73 challenger with a 440 and a 727. the last owner put in a mini high torque starter but i don't know what brand it is. my problem is when i go to start my car after i just shut it off it struggles to restart like the starter isn't getting enough  juice or something turns over once then almost dies then cranks again and usually starts turning over like normal. i'm thinking the starter is getting hot from the headers they are hooker comp headers and is causing the starter to overheat and lose full cranging output.is there any other opinions.

You may need a shield / wrap or both if you haven't done so and go from there.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TylerCharger69

Yes....I have to think....it is a heat issue....I agree with above.  Shielding is needed.  Otherwise, your starter will go south.

RECHRGD

I have the same starter and headers.  My headers are ceramic coated and run MUCH cooler than an uncoated pair.  If yours are not coated, even a shield may not be enough.  I like the headers, but hate the way they capture the starter.  Good luck.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32