News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B&M Shifter, 69 charger instead of the console. Pictures??? + a carpet problem

Started by Tarzan, August 02, 2009, 02:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarzan

I want to install the B&m shifter sport in the 69 charger instead of the console? What do you guys think about that? And how will it look? Does anyone have pictures of someone who has done it before???
Have tried to ask around but it does not seem like there is around for some reason. Does everyone have the console or the 4 speed transmission?

If the B&M shifter will be bought I might have a "problem"? I have made a few cut in the carpet on the shifter that is installed now. What should I do? It wont look nice.
Will the new shifter become any problem compared with the old one? It comes out on the driverside further up and not right up in the middle like the 4 speed does. How can I make it fit? Do I have to cut and weld?

TylerCharger69

I have a B&M shifter and removed the console. Also, There is a carpet issue, if you are using the existing carpet.  The bracketry for the console will have to be meticulously cut out, unless you want metal sticking up everywhere visibly.  And....get a 4 foot cable instead of the 5 footer it comes with.  There's way too much excess and it could accidentally touch the exhaust and fail.  (I learned THAT one the hard way.)  Maybe mount a fire extinguisher to hide the holes in the carpet?...haha....but it's an idea if new carpet isn't in the budget!!

Tarzan

The bad news is that I just bought and installed the new carpet in march:(

Do you have pictures of your shifter? Would like to see how it looks.

TylerCharger69

I'll take some pics for ya.   If you get new carpeting, get the carpet to accommodate a column shift car.....unless there is no difference and you have to cut the console stuff out.

TexasStroker

Quote from: terrible one on August 02, 2009, 08:51:23 PM
How about modifying the console lid to accept the B&M shifter and put a console back in?

I have a B&M Megashifter for the 727 and nestled it in the console.  I did this by taking the top console plate (factory shifter) off.  The body of the console is in tact and the storage area functions just fine.

I have been trying to find a "less than ideal" shifter plate to "cut" to make a nice fit like I would like it to be...I don't think the 4 speed shifter plate is wide enough either, but it is much closer than one from an auto.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

terrible one

Quote from: TexasStroker on August 15, 2009, 12:01:26 AM
Quote from: terrible one on August 02, 2009, 08:51:23 PM
How about modifying the console lid to accept the B&M shifter and put a console back in?

I have a B&M Megashifter for the 727 and nestled it in the console.  I did this by taking the top console plate (factory shifter) off.  The body of the console is in tact and the storage area functions just fine.

I have been trying to find a "less than ideal" shifter plate to "cut" to make a nice fit like I would like it to be...I don't think the 4 speed shifter plate is wide enough either, but it is much closer than one from an auto.

That's pretty cool. This is what I plan to do with mine (B&M megashifter) because I'd like to keep the console and not cut the brackets out. So far I have removed the stock shifter and modified the shifter brackets to accommodate the mounting of the B&M shifter without sacrificing the console mounting points. So I guess right now we are on thet same level. Looking at the Megashifter, I believe I could do a small amount of grinding either on the console top plate or on the shifter to get it to come up through the stock position on the console lid. I would then just leave gear selection plate on the left side. Basically just have the B&M lever and handle coming up through an otherwise mostly stock appearing console.

HITMAN 149

i bought a nice new hurst pro shifter that i am going to replace the beat up old stock shifter with. i have a REAL nice orig console that im gonna rebuild. pat from maryland w/ the beautiful silver 68 r/t ( i haven't been on in a long time... i forgot his screen name... but im sure cody from canada knows!!! lol) used a new hurst shifter & said it was very lil modification (grinding the underneath of the console shifter plate) and it fits fine!!! i was also thinking about using a nice padded console from something newer (charger/chally) being that im reso-modding my 68.... but i'll have to look into that. i don't really like the look of an aftermarket shifter mounted on the floor w/out a console....
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

69bronzeT5

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on October 04, 2009, 11:24:10 PM
pat from maryland w/ the beautiful silver 68 r/t ( i haven't been on in a long time... i forgot his screen name... but im sure cody from canada knows!!! lol)

Well look who's frickin' back! :icon_smile_big: His username is keepat. However, he sold the '68 earlier in the summer :'(
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Hemidog

Mefirst did a nice job fitting an aftermarket shifter into his console:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15943.0.html

I thought you were suppose to sell your charger Kim?

HITMAN 149

hahahaha yea im back!!!! lol got my mopar priorities in tact!!! lol
wow he sold that beautiful car!!!!!! damnnnnnnnnn
woaaaa that's a nice job on that shifter!!!!!  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/