News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74' Dodge Charger

Started by Chad, August 02, 2009, 01:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

Quote from: Chad on December 22, 2009, 03:38:24 PM
Anyone have any tips for a nice sound system? Read someone was trying to hide it behind the ashtray cover, which does sound pretty clever, however im not sure of any small enough to fit behind that, atleast none with a CD player. With the speakers it looks like just two in front and two in back, has anyone tried to put some in the doors, or anywhere else?  Trunk is big enough you could throw some good ones in there. Im not wanting to shatter windows, but right now it has JC penny speakers in it, and something like Infinity would be more desirable

hey man, just came across this thread...glad to see you got the car...i'm in a similar situation...being in college and all...however  your car is in much nicer shape than mine  :lol: (the pic in my sig is what she will look like...someday)

anyways, as far as audio...i would suggest that you make the next sound system a last priority for now :lol: but when you do get to it...check out this thread

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51861.0.html

here's another

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32285.0.html

i'd recommend mounting the head unit in the glove box with a control cable running to the box in the console to connect your ipod to...
then i'd get kick panels from paddock with 6in openings for front speakers...
then i'd get 6x9s in the package tray...the holes are already there for them so thats easy
as far as subs...2 12s are gonna be quite heavy...
i think a single 12 even a 10 DVC would do great...you could push about 400w of pure low end with that...
as far as brands...alpine or pioneer deck,
infinity kappa speakers are great, also polk makes nice stuff, alpine again...
for subs...infinity, jl, alpine...

hope this helps...there are lots of great threads on this topic...

so (sorry if you've already addressed this) hows the rust? floors alright? trunk?

good luck with your project man...its slow going when your in the situation we are...hey, when looking at the car isn't inspiration enough, check this out...http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21376.0.html...don't forget to post pics... :cheers:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

daytona71

Hey Chad
One option for you for sound to look at is  http://www.woodradios.com/.  Ive seen and heard their conversions. The stock radio looks the same, but offers both am and fm from the same radio. I know they also have a lead to allow external feeds(i-pods, cd etc)
Yous stock radio isnt changed on the outside, but all new electronics are inside. Nice sound and good volume too

Chad

Bastards finally got the charger title in after 6 months and they are trying to low ball me and ask for 500$ more, total of 4500. They bought it for 3500 with a shit ton of parts and body parts to it. i cant afford to keep upping the price, even if you all still think its a deal, im going to try tell em i cant do anything less than 4 grand with the parts. Hopefully they agree but who knows, they've had it sitting in the back lot for 3 years now, and the floor has some pretty good rust and they seem iffy on the tranny which isnt good, they're kinda crooked we've delt with them before.

Anyways hopefully i can find another charger, at the very least another muscle car.
"Well, I'll say this: climbing can kill you, but women can destroy you. There's a big difference, y'know."--Derek Hersey

lisiecki1

Sounds like you had a verbal agreement for 4000....I would make them stick to it or walk away....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

SG1022

Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 08, 2010, 01:36:31 PM
Sounds like you had a verbal agreement for 4000....I would make them stick to it or walk away....

Yep :yesnod:

Akron_Charger

Chad

Yup, its pretty hard to abandon the charger i've  :drool5: over for the last 6 months, but im surfing craig's list and found a '72 dodge charger that looks to be in better shape body wise, however i have no idea what the interior is like, or much about it at all, the guy lives a few hours away and wants 4500 for it, hoping it will turn out to be a better deal. I called and it sounded like a high school kid was selling it, so it will be interesting to see how that works out, and i should be getting some ##s for you geniuses to decode for me so i know what im exactly dealing with.
"Well, I'll say this: climbing can kill you, but women can destroy you. There's a big difference, y'know."--Derek Hersey

71383bee

I almost hate to tell you this, but upon looking at the photos I would go for the first charger over this recent one.  The other car is still in it's original paint, ugly as it may be, but it looks to me that the recent yellow car is a quickie paint job with a cheapo scoop riveted to a stock hood.  

71 chargers will always be worth more than 72's and up ( assuming similar condition options).  The 71 you were looking at was a 71 charger topper package which had the upgraded interior and rallye dash.  SE's had WP in the Vin (as Nacho pointed out) and the easiest identifier is the nearly vertical 1/4 windows.  This was done back in the day when an SE meant something more than decals and leather interior.  As a bonus someone yanked the stock 318 and tranny and slipped in a Big Block (Until you see the engine pad there is no guarantee that is' a 440, it could be a 361, 383, 400, 413, or a 440!) 727 tranny, R/T taillights (big $$$$), bulge hood (more big $$$$), power disc brakes, A/C, and bucket seats.  If the bozos who converted it had a brain they hopefully swapped the rear end to an 8 3/4 too.  The condition was what i would consider rough, but very doable.  There is NO WAY that I would plan on just driving the thing around town as its shown.  With how that engine compartment looks there was some serious shadetree mechanic work that after years of working on these cars it is a clear and present warning sign.  Definitely have a backup plan because I can almost guarantee that something is not assembled, tuned, or working right on that thing.    However, that is not to say that it is not worth it.  As for the paint that is tawny gold i think which when buffed up is actually kind of a neat color.  Not common now a days for sure.  The engine bay looks dirty, but mostly there. 

I would stick to $4,000 and make them realize that a title was THEIR responsibility if they ever intended to legally sell a car.  There is NO WAY that you are responsible for their error.  

Now for the second car...there's no way to say this nicely, but I would have some serious doubts on this one.  That is a non original non offered color on there that was quickly applied.  Probably to hide some hideous body work if I might add.  An obvious warning sign is black paint in the engine bay.  Huge giveaway!  Mopars have painted engine bays...they are not chevy's!  I see black paint and almost always walk away. Unless the VIN says its a rallye (It won't and it isn't) or something I would steer clear of that 72.

Not to sound too much like a gruff old dude here but I gotta tell you that it will help you in so many ways for you to take some time and research the car your into.  Site like this, moparts, 71superbee.com, allpar, etc.  can arm you with some valuable info that can help you loads.  For example for me the differences between a 71 and a 74 are like an apple to an orange.  Not only are the bodies not the same, but the suspension, trim, and other mechanical items are vastly different.  Another example is how right away people pointed out important details that belie true value like the taillights and hood.

Just my  :Twocents: I am not trying to  :nana: you here.  I do know that knowing what I do now versus what I knew when I bought my first classic mopar (also a beat up 72 318 charger) would have helped me alot...but sometimes you gotta learn the hard way.  I also bought my first car right out of college...    

BTW a great fender tag decoder is on stockmopar.com's site... http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-fender-tag-decoder.php

71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Chad

Yet again, i have found another charger to pursue, it is much closer to college, which makes it possible to go see, however more difficult to get home to the shop. The 71 olive green charger is apparently still sitting in the back lot, and no doubt will be for another half year, just shows it was a bluff saying they have people lined up to buy it.  :smilielol:

Didnt bother looking more into the yellow charger, after some photos i received it looks to be about 80% bondo

So this new one is a '67 Dodge Charger, just got into contact with them so i will post any additional info i find out, have any questions that i should ask i'd appreciate it!  They are asking for $1,900

"1967 Dodge Charger with no motor and no trans. The previous owner took the car apart to restore it and he like so many, lost interest. We don't have the room right now to keep it so we are offering it up for sale. We do have most of the parts to put it back together except the gas tank and the radiator. This car was out of Texas and has NO RUST!!! It would be a easy restoration project. We do have some extra parts that will also go with the car."

Emailed them and. .

"Hi Chad,
We do still have the car.  We are being totally honest when we say no rust.  The trunk and floor plan are in great shape, no rust.  The car was originally a Texas car.  As for the interior, the front seats are missing, no headliner, the back seats are in great shape, no carpet, the door panels are ok.  I don't have a picture of the tags, but we do have a clear title.  The car was taken apart by the previous owner who was going to restore it but he had some serious health issues and unfortunately passed away.  We bought the car as a favor to his father.  This is the original color, it has never been totally repainted.  Has had the front left fender painted but otherwise its original. We do have most of the parts to put it back except the  gas tank, radiator, and a few pieces of  chrome.  we also have some extra parts, a extra hood, extra door, and extra right fender, extra set of headlights. If you have any other questions, feel free to give us a call.  Thanks."

lisiecki1

Send the first place a letter offering them the $3500 that they have in it since they were obivously jerking you around.  Yes, word it just like that.

Chad

Thinking if i end up getting this one, we would drop a 500 engine in it, we have one laying around, it'd save some $$

Chad

Interior Shots, about same condition as the first charger.

Chad

The Trunk.

lisiecki1

that last picture is the drivers side floor board.

what do the frame rails look like?

and do you have an actual picture of the trunk floor?

Chad

Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 28, 2010, 03:20:14 PM
that last picture is the drivers side floor board.

what do the frame rails look like?

and do you have an actual picture of the trunk floor?

Hah good catch, i was renaming the thumbnails and didnt have a good view of the thing, i see it clearly now. D'oh.

And these are all the pictures i was able to get at the time, not sure when they would be able to send more, or when i will have some time to look at it, but i will take some more pictures when i get to go see. If we have a motor, and i could get it home for 2 grand, my initial impression is that its a much better deal than the '71 charger was, tags would be nice to see. .

lisiecki1

2 grand seems like a decent price based on what you've posted.  I still think you'd be better off with the first one, but I don't know what kind of shape the body on it was in.  It was complete and has some high-dollar parts on it though.  At any rate, with the 67 if the trunk floor looks good it is of the utmost importance that you see the frame rails in the rear of the car.  If you go to look at it, scrutinize the area under the rear quarter trim, every 1st gen I've seen before restoration was rusting across the top of the quarters, right where all that trim is mounted.

Chad

"Hey Chad,
I do think we are 1-1 1/2 hours from you.  I understand your not wanting to believe the no rust issue,  but I would not ask anyone to drive out to look at it and not tell them everything I know about the car.  I sent you all the pics I have.  The car is in a storage building at the moment to keep it out of the weather.  We bought the car from someone local, I don't know  when it was brought here from Texas.  The front drivers quarter was damaged when our friend's son tried to roll it out of the garage and it got away from him.  The engine and transmission are not with the car.  We do have a 318 (no trans) that we are letting go with the car.  We did buy a 389 with a trans (which is what this car originally was), to put in when we thought we were going to restore it.  We will sell this for an additional $1,000.  All the other extra parts we have will go with the car for the $1900.  The vin# off the Title is XP29G72376722.  We do need the room but if you are serious about the car, we could work something out.  We could tell you much more about the car if you would give us a call."

Kinda laughed picturing the kid pushing the car then running after it, but at the same time i cringe a little. .

Any sort of information that can be derived from the vin #?? 

Thanks guys!

tan top

Quote from: Chad on January 28, 2010, 03:12:13 PM
Thinking if i end up getting this one, we would drop a 500 engine in it, we have one laying around, it'd save some $$

:scope: ..... :o.... that looks soo straight from the pictures , nice first generation project :coolgleamA: :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

lisiecki1

XP29G72376722

X - Charger
P - Premium Price Class
29 - Two Door Fastback
G - 383 2bbl 265hp
7 - 1967 model year
2 - Built at the Hamtramck Plant
376722 = 276,722th car off the line at that plant for that build year

389?  is that a typo?  389 is a chevy motor.....or a bored over 383......

BIRD67

Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 29, 2010, 07:52:20 AM
XP29G72376722

X - Charger
P - Premium Price Class
29 - Two Door Fastback
G - 383 2bbl 265hp
7 - 1967 model year

Probably a typo, and a 389 is a Pontiac Motor.. The car looks pretty solid, tough choice.. does the other one run?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

lisiecki1

Quote from: BIRD67 on January 29, 2010, 04:08:24 PM
Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 29, 2010, 07:52:20 AM
XP29G72376722

X - Charger
P - Premium Price Class
29 - Two Door Fastback
G - 383 2bbl 265hp
7 - 1967 model year

Probably a typo, and a 389 is a Pontiac Motor.. The car looks pretty solid, tough choice.. does the other one run?

right, pontiac....it was a typo  :hah:

71383bee

Yeah that 67 looks like a good deal.  The pictures look VERY good. 

383 first gens are badass.  The only hard thing is the grill/headlights, taillights and interior pieces are extremely rare and are always CRAZY expensive.  Other than that I would definitely move on it.  I liked that 71, but those pictures with it sitting in the weeds made me think that there probably was some significant body issues.  Not the case with this one so far.   
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Chad

The 71 we unleashed on the highway and it did 0-100 in a quarter mile, so i was pleased with it for not having done any motor work in a few years on the thing, maybe we shouldn't've (double contraction  :2thumbs: ) done that but i wanted to blow out the cob webs. .

The 71 also had some body issues, rusty floor and there were maybe dime-nickel size rust holes down on the panels next to the tires, interior was about in the same shape. . more body work where the 67 will be more engine work i figure.

We just got hit with about a foot of snow so i wont be going to look at this 67 til later in the month, with college and rugby i dont have to much free time, and strangely enough as it is with any car, they dont seem to excited to go take more pictures. .  The 67 they say they have most of the parts to put it back together, so im hoping more of the dash, headlight, grill, and tail light issues come with it, as for the interior i was wanting to sort of modernize it anyways, racing seats and maybe a bench in the back instead of the buckets, so no worries with the $$ to restore that.

I'll keep you all posted, hopefully around march when i get to head home again, i'll swing through and pick it up to put it in the shop on the farm. If not it seems like if you look hard enough you'll find a deal, so im bound to get a charger eventually.