News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74' Dodge Charger

Started by Chad, August 02, 2009, 01:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

Quote from: Chad on August 03, 2009, 07:52:36 AM
We are contemplating lining the inside and outside of the floor with Rhino liner, to help stave off the rust that i'll possibly get moving to Missouri, hope this idea doesn't mortify anybody.  :lol:

:o

why ? are you going to drive it in the winter on salt covered roads ? from what i undestand that stuff is BIG $$$ and thick as hell plus bullet proff and heavy .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Chad

Quote from: rav440 on August 03, 2009, 08:03:34 AM
We are contemplating lining the inside and outside of the floor with Rhino liner, to help stave off the rust that i'll possibly get moving to Missouri, hope this idea doesn't mortify anybody.  :lol:

why ? are you going to drive it in the winter on salt covered roads ? from what i undestand that stuff is BIG $$$ and thick as hell plus bullet proff and heavy .

I live in Colorado but go to school in Missouri in the Winter which means alot of ice and alot of salt and alot of dumb moisture, which is cruel to put any car through, but i think you should enjoy a car, not necessarily let it sit in a garage nice and warm, that and i dont have two cars :P

The guys we are buying it from do the bed of trucks with that stuff, and since we are getting to use their paint room for free we might slap a coat of that on then too, and yeah they are heavy duty, on TV they showed it surviving an explosion when the rest of the truck was in pieces, its just an idea we had, the floor in it now is a little rusty and there is no carpet, and then i wouldnt have to worry about muddy shoes quite so much.

edit: Also not sure if it is necessary, but it will be some added weight to help gain some traction, etc.
"Well, I'll say this: climbing can kill you, but women can destroy you. There's a big difference, y'know."--Derek Hersey

rav440

Quote from: Chad on August 03, 2009, 08:16:02 AM
Quote from: rav440 on August 03, 2009, 08:03:34 AM

I live in Colorado but go to school in Missouri in the Winter which means alot of ice and alot of salt and alot of dumb moisture, which is cruel to put any car through, but i think you should enjoy a car, not necessarily let it sit in a garage nice and warm, that and i dont have two cars :P

The guys we are buying it from do the bed of trucks with that stuff, and since we are getting to use their paint room for free we might slap a coat of that on then too, and yeah they are heavy duty, on TV they showed it surviving an explosion when the rest of the truck was in pieces, its just an idea we had, the floor in it now is a little rusty and there is no carpet, and then i wouldnt have to worry about muddy shoes quite so much.

edit: Also not sure if it is necessary, but it will be some added weight to help gain some traction, etc.

well it your car and your $ . but just a thought , in the money your going to spend in fuel and rhino liner you could get a cheap car for the winter and enjoy the CHARGER during the rest of the year .  :Twocents:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Nacho-RT74

car is a mixing of parts.

71 regular grill with SE insert at dash ( being SE should it be concealed lights )
Brougham door panels came out to float since 72 not 71.
Seats are 72 pattern
73 hood ( bulged... nice )

My theory... probably an original 500 with 72 SE interior parts from a donor ? ( including dash, since brougham package is very common on SEs ) :shruggy:

Or a regular piece with the 72 stuff, and R/T-500 tail lights, and of course the hood

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chad

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 03, 2009, 02:02:11 PM

71 regular grill with SE insert at dash ( being SE should it be concealed lights )
Seats are 72 pattern

My theory... probably an original 500 with 72 SE interior parts from a donor ? ( including dash, since brougham package is very common on SEs ) :shruggy:

Or a regular piece with the 72 stuff, and R/T-500 tail lights, and of course the hood

Hmmm, this is helpful, thanks! The AC/Power Steering and power brakes made us think SE and 'luxury' and then the SE dash insert def made us think that it was an SE, dad thought it would've been a little ridiculous for someone to insert a completely different dash.

69bronzeT5  was kind enough to translate the fender tags for us, and looking over it again i dont see it say SE or 500 or RT anywhere, so im guessing that means standard? It appears to be a standard 318 Charger, with an upgraded Motor/Tranny to support a 440 + RT/Rallye attachments on the exterior (Hood/Taillight covers) and now, SE replacement parts on the inside?
Also the passenger front fender is not an origional, that or they painted just that fender a diffrent color :P We are figuring that it got in a wreck and all these hodge-podge parts was an attempt to restore it?

Also, you say that the lack of hide-away headlights could mean its not an SE, could they have just replaced the front, and the front lights now also be a remodeled effect?

We are calling this call the Dodge Charger: Hybrid  :lol: :lol:
"Well, I'll say this: climbing can kill you, but women can destroy you. There's a big difference, y'know."--Derek Hersey

lisiecki1

if you do decide to replace the hood i have a flat 73 se hood and cash for your bulge hood :2thumbs:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Chad

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 03, 2009, 02:40:22 PM
if you do decide to replace the hood i have a flat 73 se hood and cash for your bulge hood :2thumbs:
Haha Well, nice try, but if we put a regular hood on it wouldnt be able to close unless we tuned down the motor. Sorry.

The tags on the fender/door/dash all say it was made in 2/71  so unless they found a same month dash and door, i have a feeling that it was SE from the factory? I would think this would have shown up when decoding the tags, this seems to be quite the mystery car.  :shruggy:

Also dad is pushing me to put in side exhaust kit as seen below.

lisiecki1

Quote from: Chad on August 03, 2009, 03:28:52 PM
Haha Well, nice try, but if we put a regular hood on it wouldnt be able to close unless we tuned down the motor. Sorry.

The tags on the fender/door/dash all say it was made in 2/71  so unless they found a same month dash and door, i have a feeling that it was SE from the factory? I would think this would have shown up when decoding the tags, this seems to be quite the mystery car.  :shruggy:

it's cool.... a bulge hood won't clear my build.....at one point i considered lake pipes myself, but rode in a vette that had some and they were too noisy with the windows down at speed
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Chad

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 03, 2009, 03:32:28 PM
Quote from: Chad on August 03, 2009, 03:28:52 PM

it's cool.... a bulge hood won't clear my build.....at one point i considered lake pipes myself, but rode in a vette that had some and they were too noisy with the windows down at speed

Ah, good to know, while they look pretty sweet and unique they looked like they could burn you pretty good if you got your legs caught on em, i have a tricky time getting out of cars as it is.

Nacho-RT74

is not an SE or RT simply beacuse SE is WP29 and R/T is WS23 on VIN... so either is Regular or 500. BUT mostly a regular, being 500 should have drip rail molds, and front and real bumper reveal moldings ( unless removed )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Chad

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 03, 2009, 05:38:42 PM
is not an SE or RT simply beacuse SE is WP29 and R/T is WS23 on VIN... so either is Regular or 500. BUT mostly a regular, being 500 should have drip rail molds, and front and real bumper reveal moldings ( unless removed )

:cheers: Thank you, it most defiantly is a hybrid.  :lol:

mikesbbody

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 03, 2009, 02:02:11 PM

Seats are 72 pattern

Hey Chad, as usual Nacho nailed it right on  :yesnod: a mixture of parts from different 3rd gen Chargers and I agree with him, probably a Regular model or a 500 (do the rear windows roll down?) nothing wrong with a "Hybrid" you have some cool parts i there!  :2thumbs:

Chad

Yes you have the regular door windows and idk what you call the back windows that roll down, but they roll down into the body, which is one of the things i like most  :coolgleamA:

With the Original paint color being "Dark Gold Mettalic" I think what will probably happen is that we will paint it a more modern gold, so it appears gold and not brown, and then leave the buldge in the hood a glossy black, and replace the black vynyl top. Then for some added flair my dad is a good at pin striping, and i think some accents in black to match the hood buldge and vynyl top would make the car really look good.

Also im leaning towards making a more 'modern' interior, i have yet to see the new chargers, but perhaps an interior out of one of those, i saw one guy on the form who made his own console/gauge covers and it looked very nice with racing seats and wheel.

mikesbbody

Chad, it sounds to me your going for personal custom touches on your Charger you already have a plan, I cant wait to see how it looks when its finished  :2thumbs:

Chad

This is sorta what i have in my head right now, no doubt it'll change five more times before i get time to paint it over xmas break, but this is more likely than the other renditions, Im not sure how far to the original gold metallic i can get without it being to easy to notice.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: mikesbbody on August 03, 2009, 09:50:04 PM
nothing wrong with a "Hybrid" you have some cool parts i there!  :2thumbs:

I'm agree, nothing wrong with it, and from the distance you would get a nice base to start a good custom job. All the parts does look in good conditions.

73TXRallye440

Finn

Great project you have there, but personally I wouldn't limit myself color wise. Most people aren't going too see the areas with original paint. Even if you stick close to the original color you'll still see a difference once you open the door so as long as that's there you might as well have the body the color you like. :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

jaak

Hey Chad, did you buy the car?

Jason

Chad

The title should be here this week, they had to jump through alot of hoops with all these new regulations on cars i guess, the government is really trying to keep old cars off the road.  :slap: :slap: :slap:

Should have it in the shop by this weekend, then two weeks of work in between farm work and i head off to school, hope to have it road ready by then, but doubtful if we have to order any parts.  :brickwall:

mikesbbody

That's great news Chad  :2thumbs: be sure to post more pics when you have it  :yesnod:

Chad

Wow, so the title for the car, just now came in. Apparently Nevada title company and Arizona do not work anymore so they had to try some other company, got charged 500$ and should be headed to the post office any day now. Ive been chomping at the bit to get this car in my hands and start working on it, i have been looking up interior parts on the car, let me shoot some prices at you guys and see what you think

Carpet Kit for a '71  - $125
+ Mass Backing (Good idea or not?)  - $60

Headliner - $70

It also could use new seats, the front two bucket seats are in questionable condition, large cracks and some foam missing, a easy cheap solution could be rigged with some foam and new seat covers. The back seat appears to be in great shape, however when i press down on it you can hear internal cracking almost, like it hasnt been sat on for ten years and would quickly show damage if it were to be used much. I have been searching for replacement seats, and having a hard time finding the actual seats, Dante's Mopar parts and others just sell seat covers and foam is this because it is simple/easier to just do it yourself?

Also i am not sure what body it is, A/B/C/E?

And also i am looking for vinyl top replacement for the charger, as seen in the pictures it is that half-top type, i forget what we had decided the official name for those types are, but could anyone throw out a price range for that, or suggestions?

Thanks, i hope to start the process this week, what a xmas gift  :2thumbs:

-Chad

Nacho-RT74

B body

prices you posted are just right on market

seat covers changes between 71 and 72/74 ( seats/foams itself too ), 74 covers are diff with 72/73 just by the vinyl grain

half top is usually called CANOPY roof

Chad

Anyone have any tips for a nice sound system? Read someone was trying to hide it behind the ashtray cover, which does sound pretty clever, however im not sure of any small enough to fit behind that, atleast none with a CD player. With the speakers it looks like just two in front and two in back, has anyone tried to put some in the doors, or anywhere else?  Trunk is big enough you could throw some good ones in there. Im not wanting to shatter windows, but right now it has JC penny speakers in it, and something like Infinity would be more desirable

SG1022

Quote from: Chad on December 22, 2009, 03:38:24 PM
Anyone have any tips for a nice sound system? Read someone was trying to hide it behind the ashtray cover, which does sound pretty clever, however im not sure of any small enough to fit behind that, atleast none with a CD player. With the speakers it looks like just two in front and two in back, has anyone tried to put some in the doors, or anywhere else?  Trunk is big enough you could throw some good ones in there. Im not wanting to shatter windows, but right now it has JC penny speakers in it, and something like Infinity would be more desirable

Keep us posted, I am trying to figure out which way to go for my 73, I will probably make a custom holder for the radio ledge under the rear windshield, and a custom box in the trunk.