News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

siping tires

Started by Silver R/T, August 02, 2009, 11:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

Do you guys sipe tires on your daily drivers or not. Some people tell me that they sipe every tire they get while others said that siping will actually damage factory tire thread on some tires/performance tires. Not sure who to believe here.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Neal_J

OK, I had to google siping to learn what the term meant.  As such, I have no 1st hand knowledge.  Many benefits are promised to siping (better traction, improved handling, increased fuel economy, etc.)  However, if these benefits were real, I'd think that Goodyear, Firestone, Michelin, et al would the siping at the factory and raise tire prices and their profits accordingly winning many happy customers along the way.  That they don't tells me this is much akin to putting magnets on your fuel line to get increased mileage.  The only ones who really benefit are those that sell the magnets...or in this case cut up your tire treads.

If I were brief:  snake oil.

Silver R/T

Same reason they don't put synthetic oil in your car from factory, they don't install poly bushings instead of rubber, no ram air intakes, etc. To save production money.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Neal_J

I see your point regarding OEM. 

Mine point was that, if the benefits were truely there, the tire companies would sipe replacement tires and market the hell out of it.

Foreman72

in case your wondering what siping is...

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos

i don't think its gonna be worth the hours it'll take to make your own cuts int your tires...but thats just me :Twocents:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

lisiecki1

i've never siped any of my tires performance or otherwise and i've never had any problems with traction, etc.  I would think siping a performance tire might actually be dangerous..... :Twocents:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Foreman72

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 03, 2009, 12:38:38 PM
i've never siped any of my tires performance or otherwise and i've never had any problems with traction, etc.  I would think siping a performance tire might actually be dangerous..... :Twocents:
:iagree: crossed my mind too
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

HPP

I wouldn't try to sipe them at home. Too much work. Actually, a lot of tires come with siping, but not the same kind as demonstrated by the discount tires link. Original sipping are those little slots and divots you see in the tread blocks. Most of them do not go very deep so after a few thousand miles they are gone. Only exception I've noticed to this is some Michelins which will retain their sipping almost through the life of the tread.

I did buy a car once that had aftermarket siping in tires on it. In dry conditions it had a noticable squirm when crossing bridge expansion joints and other road irregularities. Felt a little unstable actually. In the winter it did seem to have more bite on ice, but wasn't any better in plain snow. I can't say if it helped them last any longer or run cooler.