News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Long time lurker finally posting!

Started by Bill Howell, August 02, 2009, 11:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Howell

Hi everyone, I have been a lurker here for some time, mostly looking for parts, etc. I have been building a 72 SE for sometime now. I bought the car in Phoenix,Az. three years ago while at Barrett Jackson out of the newspaper. I know some will hate me because of the style build but I thought I would share it anyway. Here is a rendering of the car that will be really close to the build.

You are welcomed to look through my photobucket album and see other build shots of the car. Here is a short list of mods,
6.4 Hemi crate motor 540 hp, TKO 600, Mosler Dana 60, Vintage Air, 14" wilwood Brakes (hence the big rims), Forgeline wheels, XV motorsports stage II frontend, XV motorsports three link rear. This has been a fun car to build because it had absolutely no rust anywhere. The interior will be basically stock, with 02 Trans Am seats without headrests. My plan is combine the beauty of the original 72 with all the modern upgrades available today. Hot Rod magazine will shot the car at my annual RTTHs event here in Pigeon Forge in September, then three of us plan to drive our cars to SEMA , be in the show, then participate in the Optima Battery Challenge the day after. Then drive the cars back home. Hot Rod is going to do a story on the Ultimate Roadtrip we hope.
Anyway, after years of lurking I though I would share. I have very tough skin, so I can take negative comments, let me know what you think. Before you ask though, the huge rims are necessary for the brake setup. I do have another set of wheels that are 18" coming that will have either Toyo 888s or BFG R1s for the autocrossing and road racing this car will be doing.
Bill Howell

ChargerSG

Welcome :cheers:
What is the link to your photobucket? Personally i dont like the Cuda thing on a Charger... :-\
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

MoparManJim

Quote from: ChargerSG on August 02, 2009, 01:08:56 PM
What is the link to your photobucket? Personally i dont like the Cuda thing on a Charger... :-\

I personaly don't like the looks of a cool car with rims n tires like that. Why not just put wagon wheels on. Everything else soubnds cool though.

Bill Howell

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/Billybigblock/?start=120

there are other pictures scattered thru out the album but that is a good page.
I understand about the billboards. You either like them or hate them. I think that those long quarters need something. I am doing the first attempt in vinyl so I can remove if I don't like it. Who knows, I may repaint the hood and be 100% original outside too before it is all said and done.
Bill Howell

jaak

Welcome to the site. Awesome rendering  :2thumbs:, can't wait to see the real deal, I wouldn't change a thing.

Jason

Bill Howell

Quote from: MoparManJim on August 02, 2009, 01:13:33 PM
Quote from: ChargerSG on August 02, 2009, 01:08:56 PM

I personaly don't like the looks of a cool car with rims n tires like that. Why not just put wagon wheels on. Everything else soubnds cool though.

I absolutely understand you. The problem is this. This car will see lots of track days and autocrossing. With that in mind I put the best brakes on it I could buy. The smallest wheel I can use is a 18". Here is the wheel I have for race days  http://www.forgeline.com/products/competition-series/ev1r.html?seo_category_name=competition-series&seo_product_name=ev1r&large=1&asdf=2
It will have Toyo888s on it 295s up front and 305s out back. These will have more sidewall than the street tires.
I still have the original Rally wheels. It is funny to sit them up by the current rotors. The rotors are as big as the rims.
Bill Howell

jaak

BB1

Delete my profile

Silver R/T

I love it, very nice touring Charger. Don't be let down by haters, this car is perfect in every aspect and functionality.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Bill Howell

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 02, 2009, 02:38:18 PM
I love it, very nice touring Charger. Don't be let down by haters, this car is perfect in every aspect and functionality.

Thanks, and don't worry, I don't worry about haters. Google "Bill Howell 1965 GTO" and you will see I have Pontiac haters too, but probably the most famous 65 GTO in the world...lol
I am really into the Protouring scene, and push the envelope that these cars are to be driven. Trailers are for boats. The trip across the country and story that will be in Hot Rod about it should dispell any doubters. My GTO is one of the poster children for driven cars, and this one is the next step, driven and raced.
Bill Howell

Blakcharger440

Looks awesome to me! I like the paint scheme and the wheels! Being able to see different build styles is always cool and interesting. I am also finishing up on my protouring 70 Charger RT.  :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Very cool! :2thumbs: I'm one of those guys who loves pro-tourers :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Neal_J

dodgecharger-fan

I think that looks great and I usually go with "more sidewall" crowd.

I wasn't too sure about it in the rendering, but it works just fine on the car. IMHO.  :2thumbs:

The billboards work, too, I think. I wouldn't have though it, but it does look good in the rendering. Smart idea going with vinyl at first. Easy to undo if you change your mind.

TylerCharger69

It looks pretty good to me....Very original design.  I think the Cuda "Hemi" graphics will look really good on there.  That is definately an original scheme.  I remember on this forum, there is a member who has the '69 RT stripe, and he incorporated the "pentastar" in the stripe itself instead of the traditional "R/T"  It's a blue Charger with a white stripe kit.  I thought that was very original.   I actually thought it was factory until I asked about it.  Anyway...Everyone has their own preferences.  You build it how you want to build it.  I think the renderings look fantastic!!!  Can't wait to see the finished product!!....Ace

mikesbbody

Welcom Bill!  :cheers: nice to se a different looking third Gen  :2thumbs:

Bill Howell

Thanks for the welcomes guys. There are renderings of the billboard saying 392 instead of hemi, since the 6.4 is a 392. However, I think Hemi is the correct word. Oh the tall sidewalls issue, it is really hard to find a decent sidewall in the 19 and 20 inch sizes, but the 18" have more options so hopefully that will look better. On the one side shot of the car, the tire appears to be back from center, that is in the picture, it is really close in person. The good news for purists is this, this car was almost completely restored when I bought it, lots of new pieces that I will not be using. 400 engine had just been reworked as had the tranny. I will have a real deal for someone, I hope to sell everything to one or two people, once I get the car finished.
Bill Howell

mikesbbody

Sorry Bill, I somehow missed the side pic Jaak (jason) posted  :brickwall: it looks awesome  :yesnod:

devilgear

Great car...Love it.I am working on something very similar but in green...Can't wait to see the final product.

b5blue

Bill Howell

Well, today was that day you always look forward to when you have a project going. After almost three years, the car finally moved under its own power, and very well I might add. We still have several small things to finish up and still waiting on some parts, but for the most part we are through. On to the alignment shop then graphic shop for billboards, but it should be standing tall at the Shades of the Past show next weekend and really for the Hot Rod shoot the following Wednesday. After that I would love to put several hundred miles on it before we strike out to Vegas on October 30 for SEMA and the Optima Challenge. More later, and yes, I know the hood is dirty, it had been in storage for a while, and we opped to snap these two pictures and put 10 or so miles on it before it got dark, rather than wash it.

Bill Howell

b5blue

YA BUILT A FINE BEASTIE THERE BILL!!! GOOD LUCK ON THE ROAD! :2thumbs:

gonzoe

Hemidog

DavidSL

Wow, that IS nice!  :drool5:

I've never really paid much attention to the third gen Chargers before - but I gotta say that's one good lookin' ride!  :2thumbs:

Are the 3rd gen different in size, or is it just me? It looks a lot lower than the '68-'70 models?

I agree with the sound clip - best of all a video of that beast!  :popcrn: