News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which cars can be purchased with cash for clunkers

Started by dkn1997, August 03, 2009, 08:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I have a 2000 ford van that I used to use to do side jobs, but It's moved once in the past year.  I couldn't get 2000 for it if i sold it privately.  I was thinking about trading it in using c4c program.  humor me for now and assume that the program is not out of money like I read over the weekend...

some questions:

-is chrysler offering matching contribution, ie: if c4c gives 4500, then they take 4500 off?
-does the new challenger qualify or is like every other good program that basically included the crap that nobody wants?
-Assuming I am right about mopar contribution...are ford and GM doing the same?

I would also either sell my 99 grand prix or 02 tahoe to offset the cost of a new car.  the type of new car would dictate which one goes. 

I went to the gov't site and just got more confused.
\
RECHRGED

yellocharge68

Hopefully I can shed some light on this. If I were you I would do a quick search and find out what the MPG average was for the van or vehicle you plan on trading in. If it got less that 18 mpg when new, you will probably qualify.
  Here is my experience, I hade a 1999 Chevy Tahoe that was our third vehicle, and was in need of some repairs like power steering replacement, ac repair and some Electrical gremlins.... I shopped at all of the local dealerships on a Sunday so there were no Salesman hassles. I found a Chevy HHR that I really liked, and it will be my teen agers first car.....
  Good news, it was a demo, I got 4500 for the Tahoe and worked a sweet deal on the price(charges me for a base model, and I got an LT), and walked out of the Chevy Dealership with a 24000 dollar car for about 12500.....  I know the Demo part was a stroke of luck, but its a great little car and it gets appox. 24-26 mpg in town...

Hope my little story helps.... By the way you can only trade in(drop off the clunker) for a new car, which requires one clunker for each NEW car you buy and I think you will fing that the Challenger probably will qualify. The Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealers in Texas are offering to match the  4500 with  another 4500 so you can get 9000 off and any other specials or incentives that they offer they have to give to yiou also.....   If you have the time, do the reserch and find what you want, you can make it work..... Good Luck.....
Sunfire Yellow 1968 Dodge Charger 383/727 auto-console

41husk

I was told today you had to prove you have owned and registered the cluncker for at least a year to qualify?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bull

Quote from: 41husk on August 03, 2009, 09:27:20 PM
I was told today you had to prove you have owned and registered the cluncker for at least a year to qualify?

Yes, and it has to have been insured for the past year too.

bull

Quote from: dkn1997 on August 03, 2009, 08:10:31 PM
I have a 2000 ford van that I used to use to do side jobs, but It's moved once in the past year.  I couldn't get 2000 for it if i sold it privately.  I was thinking about trading it in using c4c program.  humor me for now and assume that the program is not out of money like I read over the weekend...

some questions:

-is chrysler offering matching contribution, ie: if c4c gives 4500, then they take 4500 off?
-does the new challenger qualify or is like every other good program that basically included the crap that nobody wants?
-Assuming I am right about mopar contribution...are ford and GM doing the same?

I would also either sell my 99 grand prix or 02 tahoe to offset the cost of a new car.  the type of new car would dictate which one goes. 

I went to the gov't site and just got more confused.
\

Chrysler will give $4500 in addition to the govt. $3500 or $4500 so it's a total of $8k to $9k off.

The Challenger won't do because this is about better mpg. So unless the government website says you're getting like 8 mpg with your current car there's no mpg improvement.

Don't know about GM and Ford rebates.

dkn1997

van gets 13/18...I thought that you would get a credit...but maybe not the full one as long as there was an improvement?  5.7 chally gets 16/25.  too bad dodge doesn't make anything else I would consider buying.
RECHRGED

runningman

There is a site that you can check to see if your car qualifies.  It depends on what it was rated when new.  I have a 1991 New Yorker that I use for a daily driver but it has the 3.3 in it and doesn't qualify since it is rated at 19mpg.  If I had the 3.8 it would qualify since it was rated at 18 mpg.  I can't remember the site, maybe do a google search for CARS.

694spdRT

You have to use the combined mpg and the Challenger doesn't qualify or I would have bought one last week.  :-\

You can get a Caliber, Jeep Patriot, Compass or maybe a Avenger with a 4cyl. Oddly enough you can get a truck or SUV because they have different rules than cars.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

dodgecharger-fan

bull

So now at least 200,000 people are shouldering more debt with new car loans. Brilliant! Debt does not improve the ecomony in the long run. It makes things worse.

Ghoste

Without even mentioning that every working person contributed to the program.  I don't even want to know what the enviroclubs official statements have been on all of this.

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on August 04, 2009, 10:49:32 AM
So now at least 200,000 people are shouldering more debt with new car loans. Brilliant! Debt does not improve the ecomony in the long run. It makes things worse.

I see your point, but I don't think it's as bad unless it's all 200,000 people with terrible credit or huge debt already. It seems that with the newer loan qualifications being a lot more strict on determining who gets financing, that these bad debt people have been weeded out & aren't able to go in deeper debt. When I bought my truck the final price was $23,000. I didn't make a mistake & get into a loan requiring me to finance the entire amount & have a $600/mo payment. I put almost half down on it & my payment is less than $280/mo & if I recall, the interest rate was around 7%.

My wife's car was about the same price, but we paid cash for it at the time & have no payment. I know everyone can't do the same thing we did with a big down payment or pay in full, but anyone in a decent position to get a car right now can really get a good deal by adding another $3500 to $4500 off the price. If the timing was different & I needed to replace a vehicle right now, I'd take advantage of the program to get rid of a vehicle I couldn't sell. I don't believe the clunker cash program is perfect, but I do think it will boost things a little more without making it worse.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

472 R/T SE

Click here to see new vehicles eligible for purchase

Click here to see used vehicles eligible for trade-in