News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valves for Manual Drum to Manual Disc Conversion

Started by Chucky3, August 05, 2009, 10:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chucky3

I am converting my 71 Dodge Challenger from manual drum to manual disc brakes.I have the distribution valve only.Can I use only the distribution valve by itself or do I need a hold-off valve too? Are the aluminum lines leading to the disc brakes then back to the valve a different size fitting than the drums before?I have the valve below.The top is the larger fitting tee butted to a tee with the smaller fittings.Can any one show me in a diagram how I should have the setup and the line directions?Do I need to get different aluminum lines for disc?The very top comes from the larger master cylinder reservoir and the front smaller fitting goes to the front lowest Tee & the bottom is plugged.Please help gurus!  THANK YOU!

b5blue

Nassau1969

If you are changing over to disc up front you need the hold off valve to slow the brake fluid to the rear drums. If you don't -and hit the brakes hard the rear brakes will lock up and your ass end of the car will swing around. You want the discs to do most of the work at the start of braking.  They make a after market Valve that you can adjust either Jegs or Summit have them or you can get a factory one off e bay.