News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Cash for Clunkers carnage begins.....

Started by 69bronzeT5, July 30, 2009, 12:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

BB1

4 mins of nothing much to see but a smoking Jeep.  :shruggy:
Delete my profile

moparstuart

we get these cars from the dealers

what dealers are required by law to do before we pick up the car is

The dealer must drain the oil and add approx  2 quarts of sodium silicate to the vehicle and then run the engine until it seizes up. This must be done and certified by the dealer before the approved recyclers can pick it up .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

a recent local TV news story on the subject showed that of 30 "Clunkers" turned in, 15 were ten yr. old FORD SUVs and vans, the rest were split between GM and Mopars...

moparstuart

we bought a 2000 windstar ,  98 silverado , 94 ciera , 92 buick park ave   just yesterday

mopar0166

Quote from: moparstuart on July 30, 2009, 01:00:25 PM
 we get these cars from the dealers

what dealers are required by law to do before we pick up the car is

The dealer must drain the oil and add approx  2 quarts of sodium silicate to the vehicle and then run the engine until it seizes up. This must be done and certified by the dealer before the approved recyclers can pick it up .

Seems like such a waste, but i guess its better for the environment.   

histoy

moparstuart.... isn't a 2000 Windstar worth more than $3500 - $4500?   If so, do the dealers offer more of a trade-n than the government's allowance?

moparstuart

Quote from: histoy on July 30, 2009, 02:06:00 PM
moparstuart.... isn't a 2000 Windstar worth more than $3500 - $4500?   If so, do the dealers offer more of a trade-n than the government's allowance?
this one had 215 k on it so no it was all used up .  Now the real question is it worth more that the $50.00 I payed for it . Hell yes even with the blown up motor I will make a killing on the vehicle .

694spdRT

My guess is that was a 4.0L in that Jeep. Pretty tough little motors.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

moparstuart

Quote from: 694spdRT on July 30, 2009, 02:14:56 PM
My guess is that was a 4.0L in that Jeep. Pretty tough little motors.
I agree the 4.7 would never have lasted that long . Those 4.0 are almost as bullet proof as the old 225's

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

moparstuart

Quote from: Tilar on July 30, 2009, 02:35:09 PM
There are going to be a lot of people surprised that their car will no longer qualify for this... Some dealers too.

car shoppers find that the fuel economy for their old cars has suddenly improved - making them ineligible for Cash for Clunkers
LOL  i would like to see them try to back out of deals after they have locked up the motor on the trade in   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

BB1

Delete my profile

694spdRT

Quote from: Tilar on July 30, 2009, 02:35:09 PM
There are going to be a lot of people surprised that their car will no longer qualify for this... Some dealers too.

car shoppers find that the fuel economy for their old cars has suddenly improved - making them ineligible for Cash for Clunkers

I noticed that my dad's 1994 Cadillac with the 4.9V8 was actually lowered to 17mpg from 18mpg in the last few days. It would qualify either way but it does help get to $4500 easier. The 4.6 Northstar stayed at 18mpg though. With 140,000 miles and a prior salvage title it may be going for a new Patriot.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Cooperman

So how is all that smoke better for the environment?  :scratchchin:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Tilar

It's not about the environment. It's about killing older cars so people will buy newer ones and helping the mafia...er I mean the union.

Check out these little tidbits from the new healthcare reform bills...

• Page 65: Taxpayers will subsidize all union retiree and community organizer health plans (SEIU, UAW and ACORN)
• Page 72: All private healthcare plans must conform to government rules to participate in a Healthcare Exchange.
• Page 84: All private healthcare plans must participate in the Healthcare Exchange
• Page 91: Government mandates linguistic infrastructure for services; translation: illegal aliens
• Page 95: The Government will pay ACORN and Americorps to sign up individuals for Government-run Health Care plan.

The list is endless... and I still say it has nothing to do with the environment. Ok, I'll get off my  :soapbox: now.  :mad:
Dave  

Silver R/T

I just heard on news that mafia (government) is planning on suspending "clunkers" program.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparstuart

Quote from: Silver R/T on July 30, 2009, 07:10:07 PM
I just heard on news that mafia (government) is planning on suspending "clunkers" program.
yeah they just figured out they cant afford to pay all those dealers 4500 a car

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Silver R/T

Quote from: moparstuart on July 30, 2009, 07:35:12 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on July 30, 2009, 07:10:07 PM
yeah they just figured out they cant afford to pay all those dealers 4500 a car

I don't think it's that. And they don't pay everyone $4500. There are so many criterias to fullfill to qualify for that $4500. You're not getting a "great deal" It's a giant government scam.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Tilar

Dave  

Troy

I just heard on the news that the program is out of money already (1 billion dollars). I guess there is an appeal to Congress to allocate more cash before they go on their month long break or it's done for.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

Quote from: Troy on July 31, 2009, 08:36:17 AM
I just heard on the news that the program is out of money already (1 billion dollars). I guess there is an appeal to Congress to allocate more cash before they go on their month long break or it's done for.

Troy

Even though  my buisness is really going to benefit from getting these cars.  I cant believe with the way the BIG 3 are hurting why didnt they limit this program to Ford , chrysler and GM.  Some of the import lots around here are calling me with 50 or more cars sitting there they want me to bid on . All the billion dollars is gone and could have benefited the Big 3 only .   :shruggy:   just my opinion  :Twocents:  I can see them letting you trade any make in but they should have made them only be able to trade for a Big three new model .

Troy

Quote from: moparstuart on July 31, 2009, 08:46:00 AM
Quote from: Troy on July 31, 2009, 08:36:17 AM

Troy

Even though  my buisness is really going to benefit from getting these cars.  I cant believe with the way the BIG 3 are hurting why didnt they limit this program to Ford , chrysler and GM.  Some of the import lots around here are calling me with 50 or more cars sitting there they want me to bid on . All the billion dollars is gone and could have benefited the Big 3 only .   :shruggy:   just my opinion  :Twocents:  I can see them letting you trade any make in but they should have made them only be able to trade for a Big three new model .

One of the primary goals of the program is to stimulate the economy. It doesn't matter where the money is spent as long as people are spending money. Yeah, it'd be nice to accomplish a few secondary goals - like aiding American companies - but not if it interferes with the primary objective. From the site:
"The CAR Allowance Rebate System (CARS) is a $1 billion government program that helps consumers buy or lease a more environmentally-friendly vehicle from a participating dealer when
they trade in a less fuel-efficient car or truck. The program is designed to energize the economy; boost auto sales and put safer, cleaner and more fuel-efficient vehicles on the nation's roadways.
"
http://www.cars.gov/

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

It worked they spent all the money in less then a month .