News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Blood just chilled a few degrees; Chrysler Destroys Its Historical Archives.

Started by Charger Aficionado, July 27, 2009, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

This is not so rare an event,.. I know the San Francisco Examiner Newspaper, a Heast Corp. property Gave Away their entire Library to the Fang family   Who a couple years ago sold it for some millions to private collectors who are in the Biz of selling historical items on line. That collection was so extensive it took a few weeks to simply asess what was in the library in the most basic of terms.
I figgure the bean counters couldn't care less and see it it as a labor intensive money drain - best to be simply chucked rather then delt with in a proper fashion over time.
Wow! first time in some while I've seen Jude around these parts,..  :wave:

FastbackJon

I'm mostly concerned whether the build archives are safe or not. The website is still up to order them. I sent an email, will see if I get a reply.

http://www.chryslerheritage.com/newsroom.do?id=390&mid=135

[EDIT]

I got a quick reply! See below:

Hello Jon,

No, the Chrysler Archives is still open.  The Chrysler Engineering Library is what closed down.  There was a misprint put out about this. 

What I will need from you is your serial number.  From there, I will look in our records and get back to you shortly.

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Chrysler Historical Collection
CIMS 410-11-21
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288

Email: archives@wpchryslermuseum.org
Fax: (313) 252-2928
www.chryslerheritage.com
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

MoparManJim

Well now days, most kids doesn't no respeck for others or them self's. They like to drive around with that big arse radios just a blasting and think it's kool when in fact it's stupid  ::) :eek2:  So why should they have respeck for history stuff? To them it's probably more like kid drawings and use less crap. 

But I hope that the folks some how got the info, and it all is in good hands now.

Hemidoug

Well, if it was the Engineering stuff the went I'll be willing to bet they were grabbed up by someone in the re-pop industry....now who would be smart enough to grab that sort of stuff....you know...stuff like drawings, production changes, ect?  :scratchchin:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Aero426

It does sound pretty bad.   Got a reply from someone who works there.   He said the purge occurred this past spring.  Many, many dumpsters were filled.   The Chrysler Museum people (now a separate entity from the company) were not involved and had no opportunity to go through the stuff.   A lot was said to have been brought over from the old Highland Park facility in the 90's. 

Scaregrabber

It's most likely a lot of stuff to do with Mini vans and Neons. I'm not going to jump off a bridge over it.

Sheldon

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Scaregrabber on July 28, 2009, 04:34:52 PM
It's most likely a lot of stuff to do with Mini vans and Neons. I'm not going to jump off a bridge over it.
Sheldon
Oh, no doubt 90% of it was probably junk.  It's the 10% that I'd Love to look at.

rav440

i thought the all of the info/ Archives for CHRYSLER was lost in a fire in the 1970s .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Chatt69chgr

There is a reply above concerning the Chrysler build archives.  What is this?  Can I get information on my 69 Charger by supplying them with the VIN number?

ODZKing

I think they're referring to the pre 68 stuff that they do have unless they found more info.   :shruggy:

mopar0166

hemi-hampton

Quote from: rav440 on July 29, 2009, 06:42:40 AM
i thought the all of the info/ Archives for CHRYSLER was lost in a fire in the 1970s .

Lost in Fire my Ass, These Idiots threw all that stuff away in dumpsters from Highland Park in the 70's. After everybody that found out called them Idiots they then came up with a new excuse (B.S. Story) to help justify it being gone by saying, UH, It got lost in a Fire. Really, it was unintentional, we really are not the idiots they are calling us. The fire excuse B.S to not look Stupid but now they are stupid enough to do it all over again :shruggy: :brickwall:

resq302

Yup, thats what I was told when I called them.  The years that were lost in the fire was supposedly 1968-the mid 70s.  Hmm.... the height of the muscle car era.... go figure. :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemi-hampton

All the stuff they are throwing away now. What do you think they will be telling people in 30-50 years when they ask what happened to it. :scratchchin: Hmmm, that fire story worked before, Lets try that one again :brickwall: