News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Makes me sick.

Started by charger_cody, July 29, 2009, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_cody

Birthday last wednesday. Turned 17. Charger is still in the garage for 2 years now. Hasnt moved since paint under the hood and doors. I know i have the rest of my life to do it but its just sitting there collecting dust. Its like a fly that wont leave me alone. Dad wont help me put the motor in. Dont really know to much on how to do it. =/=/

Cody

PocketThunder

Is that all you need to make it run? 

Sometimes parents do things that dont make sense at the time, but 5 years later you'll realize the real intention of thier move..   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

dodgert68

I've own my 68 Coronet since i was 17 its been on and off the road over the years ,i'm gonna 40 in a couple weeks. She is still waiting to be gone thru thoroughly, one of these days when i'm done working on everyone else's cars.

charger_cody

I have just gotten to the point where i just want to see the engine in it. Was gonna drop it in last weekend. But forget that. I have smog heads.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Cody

Khyron

you can replace the heads while it's in, put it in ya young punk ;-)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

69bronzeT5

Try having your car sit in the garage unfinished for 10 years ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Khyron

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on July 29, 2009, 11:26:35 PM

u too, get cracking!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

chargergirl

charger_cody these guys are talking from the heart...I have two here, my husband and his friend, getting on me to get the project fully underway. As for the not helping at home...does dad feel your gonna' get hurt driving such a strong vehicle...what's your driving record? A friend of ours almost bought my son a Shelby as his first car...I said no. I'm sure I was popular for a time. The car was being sold fairly cheap, owner had so many tickets he could no longer afford the car. If you simply want to rebuild the car, start, ask questions here, you have a wealth of knowledge literally at your fingertips. Good Luck!
Trust your Woobie!

69*F5*SE

Too bad the old man won't help you. He might be just letting you learn the hard way or he just don't want any part of it.  My dad never helped me do anything growing up. He was never around. Now he keeps trying to make up for it and I'm 43 now.  Nevertheless, maybe you have some friends that would help. There's got to be someone available to lend a hand, right?  :shruggy:  What about the school auto shop?  You are in school aren't you?  Hang in there.  My project has been sitting for a long time too.  Sometimes you get to it and sometimes you don't.

moparjohn

Happy B-day, I remember 17 like it was yesterday...sniff.... I too had a Charger then, it was running 1/2 the time, the other it was being fixed, and me paying for it. BUT I HAD A CHARGER!!!!  You have the car, it's not going anywhere, it will get done but it takes time.  Your so young, if you can't wrench on it now, read, learn and understand what you can and will need to do.  At your age I was unable to do the simplest things on a car.  Lastly try an find others in your area with simular interests, go to car shows, talk to people, these new friends will be there when it's time.  My friends and I are always helpin each other do our projects. I hope you understand my rant, I know what it is to taste it because it's so close!MPJ
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: charger_cody on July 29, 2009, 10:36:58 PM
Birthday last wednesday. Turned 17. Charger is still in the garage for 2 years now. Hasnt moved since paint under the hood and doors. I know i have the rest of my life to do it but its just sitting there collecting dust. Its like a fly that wont leave me alone. Dad wont help me put the motor in. Dont really know to much on how to do it. =/=/

Cody

The biggest problem at your age is being young you probably are'nt making that much $$$$$$$$,so it will make the project take some time.Take one section of the car at a time,figure out what you absolutely have to buy ,get it in order,and when you have all the pieces for that assembly ,put some ambition in yourself,if your father won't help,ask some friends ,still no help ,do the best you can while being safe at what you are doing.

451-74Charger

Mine hasnt moved in 9 years, well actually, it lifted up a few inches so I could put Dollies under the wheels.
There is sits.
At least it isnt in a field rusting away !!!

69 OUR/TEA

Cody,you are what 18,19 now?Working part time/full time?When I was your age there were no computers,which ment no forums like this to post 9,000 times,so out in the yard it was,nobody was going to do it for me,so  taught myself how to get a car running,bodywork,paint,etc.Learned by trial and error!!!!Grab the bull by the horns and tear into it!!!!!Not to mention you do have this advantage of this site if you get stuck.

BrianShaughnessy

Don't they offer auto mechanics at school?    That's the way some kids used to learn.   I was taking computer courses during the day and working in the afternoon so I took some night adult ed. classes and used the equipment. 

Smog heads are better than nothing if that's all you got.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

terrible one

Man you've got this forum. Now you just need to recruit one of your buddies to help you with the engine. Neither of my parents would be capable of changing their own oil, and almost all of my friends are uninterested, especially when there's hard work involved. Though this forum makes it that much easier, I had to learn everything as I went. I've never restored a car or done anything besides piddly stuff and a few engine installs in classics, but somehow I've gained enough information and put in enough effort to get my car where it's at now. I ended up paying a buddy of mine to help me put the engine and transmission in. Nobody wanted to help. Is there absolutely NOTHING you can do to the car before the drivetrain comes? Been through the brakes? Electrical? Fuel delivery? Interior? Truthfully I think that if you're 17 then you should be capable of progressing somehow. The Charger is your project, and you'll find that not many people want to put their time and effort into YOUR car, especially for free. Figure out how to get it done man! The juice is worth the squeeze! :Twocents:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on July 30, 2009, 08:03:18 AM

Cody,you are what 18,19 now?Working part time/full time?When I was your age there were no computers,which ment no forums like this to post 9,000 times,so out in the yard it was,nobody was going to do it for me,so  taught myself how to get a car running,bodywork,paint,etc.Learned by trial and error!!!!Grab the bull by the horns and tear into it!!!!!Not to mention you do have this advantage of this site if you get stuck.

I'm 16 and don't have a job. I tried looking for one forever (since Sept. 08) with no luck. Finally found one working privately for somebody when they were away on vacation but their son came home from the army so they didn't need me anymore :rotz:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

694spdRT

I remember the feeling. At 16 I pulled the 318 and put a 400 big block with the automatic in a 4wd Ramcharger by myself. I didn't have the smarts to let any air out of the tires or drop the front in any way so it seemed like the engine and trans were 10' in the air. I thought that was hard until I hoisted the NP203 cast iron transfer case up and connected it to the tranny without any help.  :eek2:

After that cars seemed pretty easy.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

kab69440

Short-timer... :flame:
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

charger_cody

No worries guys......I stabbed the car.

Sanding starts today.  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Thanks for the help guys.

By the way. To answer some of the questions.

1: Driving record is perfect. Never been pulled over or in a wreck.

2:Money isnt the issue for me. Im set. He just wouldnt get up. So i did it by myself.

Thanks everyone at DC.com!!!!!

72chargerSE

Quote from: 694spdRT on July 30, 2009, 02:23:41 PM
I remember the feeling. At 16 I pulled the 318 and put a 400 big block with the automatic in a 4wd Ramcharger by myself. I didn't have the smarts to let any air out of the tires or drop the front in any way so it seemed like the engine and trans were 10' in the air. I thought that was hard until I hoisted the NP203 cast iron transfer case up and connected it to the tranny without any help.  :eek2:

After that cars seemed pretty easy.  ;)

I'm still amazed at the stuff I did when I was a kid without help..... almost superhuman !! I'm 43 now, still do heavy work, but have the tools and help!!!

kab69440

Amen. Even worse than the transfer case is the 435 gearbox. After that clutch replacement, I bought a tranny adapter for my floor jack. 
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

chargergirl

Having the right tools is crucial! My father walked in to a shop after working all day to take the radiator out of his car. He and my mom were just married then. The mechanic looks at his hands they are bleeding and cut to shreds. After working REALLY hard not to laugh the mechanic takes my father over to a car just like his, points to the holes in the grill that line up with the radiators screws, then points to the long screwdriver on the wall. Tells my father that's what that's for. Dad NEVER worked on a car again! Good for you on the driving record! Sometimes you have to do it all yourself. Let us see some pics while your working on the car!
Trust your Woobie!

LeadfootBob

There are episodes in every build when you just want to vomit looking at the abomination on jackstands rotting away in the garage. You don't have the know-how, money or motivation to add a certain, vital piece of the puzzle... It happens to all of us. Know-how can be acquired (rip crap apart enough times and you'll learn to put it together again), money can be earned and sometimes you can just will yourself to wrench (don't get sickened, become angry and see what happens) but mostly you have to wait for that spark to come back. Go surf some car sites, especially the "car community" kind, go to car shows and races... Somewhere you'll see the car that brings the inspiration back.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

mikepmcs

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 29, 2009, 10:41:26 PM
Is that all you need to make it run? 

Sometimes parents do things that dont make sense at the time, but 5 years later you'll realize the real intention of thier move..   :Twocents:

+1

Get busy if you didn't understand what PT was saying...figure it out and get it done.  All of us are here to answer your questions and help you along.  You have to do the physical part with a couple friends.  :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

MoparManJim

You won't know what to or how to do it until you get your behind in there and start the work on it yourself. Then you will learn as you go along with it. Thats the only way you will on how to do it on your own. Thats how I did it. After my dad past, I had no choice but to learn how to put a tranny in a charger myself and I also tought a friend of mine how to put one in also as he didn't know either but wanted to learn as well like I did. Now we both know.