News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear springs

Started by mikes4692003, July 30, 2009, 03:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes4692003

can somebody tell me on a 69 charger how hard is it to change leaf springs over to coil over shocks and how to go about doing that

Mike DC

The factory shock-absorber crossmember (above the axle) isn't strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle (no mounting springs on there). 

Yeah I know people do it, but that doesn't make it safe.  LOTS of cars have had that crossmember cracked/torn off because of trying this with 70s-style air shocks.  It'll hold the car up when you first try it, but not for very long.

Are you talking about a full coilover conversion, like to throw away the leaf springs entirely and give it boxed lower arms instead?  That's gonna be a weld-on job to use a bunch of aftermarket stuff. 

mikes4692003

my car has got the hafter market i guess spring hangers thats got th three holes in them my springs are in the bottom hole and the springs are about flat all the way back, can a person raise the springs up to higher hole?

Mike DC

If you've got any spring helper devices and your leaf springs are still laying flat, then the leaf springs are shot.  You really need another set of leaf springs and anything else is just another band-aid on the problem.