News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My official Daytona clone thread! Pictures!! IT RUNS!!!!Video!!`

Started by Charger-Bodie, July 29, 2009, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Brian, are those the US Car Tool subframe connectors?  They are a real clean looking design
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on September 05, 2009, 07:24:05 PM
Brian, are those the US Car Tool subframe connectors?  They are a real clean looking design

Actually , they are XV Motorsports. I think the two are about the same though.

Im gonna go against the grain a little on them, Im going to weld pieces in between on the top open side and then plug weld them to the floor in many places instead of the continuos weld. I just dont like the look of the weld on a painted underside. If it were getting undercoated Id be fine with it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

C500

Wow, you'er not mucking around with the progress. Good work Brian, keep the pics coming.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 05, 2009, 07:46:34 PM
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on September 05, 2009, 07:24:05 PM
Brian, are those the US Car Tool subframe connectors?  They are a real clean looking design

Actually , they are XV Motorsports. I think the two are about the same though.

I gonna go against the grain a little on them, Im going to weld pieces in between on the top open side and the plug wel them to the floor in many places instead of the continuos weld. I just dont like the look of the weld on a painted underside. If it were getting undercoated Id be fine with it.

Looking great Brian, you are really hitting this one hard. Unbelievable progress!

I think you idea of boxing the connector and plug welding is great. I wish I had done the same as it will be a very nice clean look. When I installed mine I did the continuous weld and ended up sealing the welds with a thin bead of sealer prior to priming. It looks good now but definitely not as nice as yours will look. I am also leaving the bottom in primer as per the factory look and am not undercoating. I notice you installed the tube for your emergency brake cable prior to the floor which definitely is a time saver and will be a nice clean look.  :2thumbs:

If I could offer one piece of advice as I recently installed the same style of sub frame connector in my 68. I found that quite a bit of fitting, necessitating removing material all along both connectors was required when I fit mine. You will want to test fit the floor prior to welding in the plate in the top of the connectors as material will need to be removed if you want everything to fit nice. I had also installed a new AMD floor pan. 

I am sure you are doing this but wanted to offer advice based on my experience installing this style of connector on my car.

Again, great job, you are an inspiration to us all!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Charger-Bodie

Well thanks for the kind words there Mopar nut!!

Although I am trimming them to an extent, They dont need to fit perfectly tight this way. For the most part they will, but if theres a gap here and there it will be OK and a tiny bit of seam sealer will finish it off.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

69 OUR/TEA

Coming out nice,going a little slower than the 68 though! :poke: :nana:

Charger-Bodie

Well here's some more from what I got done yesterday. Still short one of the back seat foot area floors,but after that the pass compartment will be buttoned up and solid again.

The70RT

Looks like your thrashing at a decent pace Brian.  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 06, 2009, 02:36:22 PM
Well thanks for the kind words there Mopar nut!!

Although I am trimming them to an extent, They dont need to fit perfectly tight this way. For the most part they will, but if theres a gap here and there it will be OK and a tiny bit of seam sealer will finish it off.

Damn you are fast. Awesome Brian!!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

PocketThunder

Holy Chit!  Have you ran out of welder wire yet? :o
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

jaak

:2thumbs: In a couple of more pages , we'll see a white Daytona!!!

Keep up the good work , Brian

Jason

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

dartsportsteve

Great work, Brian.  Let me know if you ever need a hand.  Can't wait to see the paint go on!

richRTSE

Wow, I wish I worked as fast as you. It's coming along quite nicely.  :2thumbs: I like what you did with the frame connectors. I have of set of US Cartool connectors going in my car, I may do the same thing... :scratchchin:

:cheers:

Charger-Bodie

A little free time today resulted in some more progress....Not alot but hey every little bit counts right?

XV apron supports,and welded in the buddy seat brackets.

Charger-Bodie

I would also like give a HUGE thanks to Tom (blown70) for the great deal on a Vega hatch!!

You are the man Tom!!  :yesnod:  :cheers: I definitely owe ya one!

Charger-Bodie

Well, this morning at 4am Seth (8 month old) decided he was in need of a bottle, so I got up and fed him. I figured heck I'm up I may as well get an early start. So , off to the shop I went. I got all the rest of the junk cut off , sandblasted all the inner stuff, shot it,and called it a day. I'm still waiting on some of the smaller metal parts for the rear so, I couldn't go any further. Anyway here are some more pics.

Charger-Bodie

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

I've been watching some of your build. I take it that this is a real hemi car since you're going to so much trouble to save it. I can't imagine going to that much time, expense and trouble to rebuild a plain old 440 car.
There are a lot of fairly rust free non-hemi Charger bodies still around here in the south.

Keep up the good work. You're almost there.  :2thumbs:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

69bronzeT5

Very cool Brian! You're doing a great job! I see it's sunny there today as well :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jaak

Great job! Sometimes early in the morning is the best time to get stuff done. The night I put the engine back in the 73, I couldn't sleep that night...so I went out to the shop. When my wife woke up that morning, she come out there and was suprised to see I had the engine/trans installed.

Keep it up  :cheers:

Jason

dads_69

Is the black a sealer then paint or POR15?

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 12, 2009, 02:51:43 PM
I've been watching some of your build. I take it that this is a real hemi car since you're going to so much trouble to save it. I can't imagine going to that much time, expense and trouble to rebuild a plain old 440 car.
There are a lot of fairly rust free non-hemi Charger bodies still around here in the south.

Keep up the good work. You're almost there.  :2thumbs:

It was cheap!! And I kinda have a thing for metal work! All of the new metal will make for alot less filler work.
Also when they are torn this far down you can treat all of metal unlike a car that doesnt need to be torn down.

And no it is not a Hemi car. It is a non numbers match 440 car.Part of the problem is that some of it was worse than I expected,but what am I gonna do ? quit on it? No. You just keep going until its up to snuff and life goes on.