News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona owners; your 4bbl carbs

Started by hemi68charger, July 29, 2009, 07:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey ya'll.
I'm verifying that the 4618S that would have come on my Daytona is the two screw fuel/air mixture version. I've found out that the 4618S came in two different versions,, a pre-Jan.'69 version with only 1 adjustment screwed centered and then post-Jan.'69 in which the carb came with two adjustment screws. I'm taking it mine would have had the later........... But who knows, maybe some early ones got by....

Right now my Daytona has a Edelbrock Competition Series carb. I have since found two 4618S's......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dave Kanofsky

Couldn't tell you about mine - it had the wrong carb on it when I bought the car.

Please keep us posted on what you find out though.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

maxwellwedge

Troy - The original carb off of Doc is 4618SA...has 2 idle mix screws on it - Dated D9  (April 69). I would say all of the (Automatic) Daytona's probably have this carb.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 29, 2009, 09:47:18 AM
Troy - The original carb off of Doc is 4618SA...has 2 idle mix screws on it - Dated D9  (April 69). I would say all of the Daytona's probably have this carb.

:iagree: 

Similar story with the 4-speed carbs too.  The "A" suffix indicated a mid-run change in that particular carb model, although I've read in more than one place that it meant the carb was an off-the-shelf replacement (which isn't the case).  Dick Katter helped a bunch in deciphering what all the designators mean.  Each time they made a change in the carb model, they changed the suffix... meaning first-run carbs were 4618S... second series were 4618SA, and if there had been a third series (not many carb models had this, but a few did) they would have been 4618SB and so on.

Have you found a good 4618SA core yet, Troy?  I looked at a few carbs at Carlisle hoping to catch sight of one for you, but no luck.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on July 29, 2009, 10:09:21 AM
Troy - The original carb off of Doc is 4618SA...has 2 idle mix screws on it - Dated D9  (April 69). I would say all of the Daytona's probably have this carb.

Similar story with the 4-speed carbs too.  The "A" suffix indicated a mid-run change in that particular carb model, although I've read in more than one place that it meant the carb was an off-the-shelf replacement (which isn't the case).  Dick Katter helped a bunch in deciphering what all the designators mean.  Each time they made a change in the carb model, they changed the suffix... meaning first-run carbs were 4618S... second series were 4618SA, and if there had been a third series (not many carb models had this, but a few did) they would have been 4618SB and so on.

Have you found a good 4618SA core yet, Troy?  I looked at a few carbs at Carlisle hoping to catch sight of one for you, but no luck.

I have a 4618S located, but waiting on the other 4618 to see if it's an S or SA....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 29, 2009, 10:20:07 AM
I have a 4618S located, but waiting on the other 4618 to see if it's an S or SA....

You should be able to find one sooner or later.  It's been a few years since I messed around with this whole topic, but I remember Dick K. saying that he had not seen a 4617S carb after January of '69 - they were all SA's after that.  All of the cores I ran across followed that same pattern, and he's seen hundreds more of them than me.  It makes sense that they switched the auto carbs over to the two-screw configuration at the same time.  So, if you can find a Feb-May dated 4618 carb you should be golden.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on July 29, 2009, 10:36:07 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on July 29, 2009, 10:20:07 AM

You should be able to find one sooner or later.  It's been a few years since I messed around with this whole topic, but I remember Dick K. saying that he had not seen a 4617S carb after January of '69 - they were all SA's after that.  All of the cores I ran across followed that same pattern, and he's seen hundreds more of them than me.  It makes sense that they switched the auto carbs over to the two-screw configuration at the same time.  So, if you can find a Feb-May dated 4618 carb you should be golden.

Yeap, the change over was due to the tighter Federally mandated 1969 emission standards I believe. MaMopar couldn't get the fuel-air mixture to spec unless they employed the individual adjustment screws for each primary bore.

Troy
Troy

XS29J8

I remember the 68 440 Carb had the primaries leaded over so you couldn't tamper with them. They had a single adjusting screw also. I spent many a day helping my buddies dig out the lead so you could adjust the air fuel mixture and raise the float levels for that few extra ponies it created. I'm wondering if they used this carb thru the early 69 run??? I know there was a tech bulletin on this procedure and it was in one of the musclecar mags a few years ago also.

Cheers,
Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

Davtona

Troy - The original carb off of Doc is 4618SA...has 2 idle mix screws on it - Dated D9  (April 69). I would say all of the (Automatic) Daytona's probably have this carb.

Same story on my car. Original carb is 4618SA has 2 screws and is dated D9.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Davtona on July 29, 2009, 07:32:46 PM
Troy - The original carb off of Doc is 4618SA...has 2 idle mix screws on it - Dated D9  (April 69). I would say all of the (Automatic) Daytona's probably have this carb.

Same story on my car. Original carb is 4618SA has 2 screws and is dated D9.

Disco is the exact same as well.

hemi68charger

Then it's a 4618SA that will be the focus of my next quest.......   Thanks ya'll...........

Troy
Troy

Hemi_tyme

Hey if anyone needs 4618SA I have 1 core and 1 rebuilt
Ken

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on July 29, 2009, 10:51:30 PM
Ken

Well Ken !!!!!  Yes I do...... Wanna be kind to me?  I"ll PM you......

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on July 29, 2009, 10:51:30 PM
Ken

Hey Ken...
Did you get my PM? I'd like one of those if at all possible depending on cost.......

Thanks...
Troy
Troy

mysil bergsprekken

Interesting read you guys, very helpful, thanks!
69 charger RT

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: XS29J8 on July 29, 2009, 06:50:58 PM
I remember the 68 440 Carb had the primaries leaded over so you couldn't tamper with them. They had a single adjusting screw also. I spent many a day helping my buddies dig out the lead so you could adjust the air fuel mixture and raise the float levels for that few extra ponies it created. I'm wondering if they used this carb thru the early 69 run??? I know there was a tech bulletin on this procedure and it was in one of the musclecar mags a few years ago also.

Cheers,
Steve

good info! Fun reading. Nice.
69 charger RT

hemi68charger

Oh,, nice...  Never did update this thread. I did eventually get a 4618SA and it's working perfectly on my Daytona now. Thought a little bit ago I had issues for the car ran like dodo at idle. Turned out to be one of the vacuum hoses came off the vacuum can under the battery, hence massive vaccum leak. Carb has and is running like a champ...
Troy

mysil bergsprekken

Nice you eventually found a carb for it. Although it seemed you have several by hand already. And good thing you sorted out that vacuum leak also. Nothing is better than an easy fix to a mind boggling problem like that.

Did you end up rebuilding the carb and tuning it in yourself, or was it already in good shape?
69 charger RT

Charger-Bodie

Mine has two Thunder Series avs carbs. Does that help you any??  :-\
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on October 28, 2011, 08:08:19 AM
Nice you eventually found a carb for it. Although it seemed you have several by hand already. And good thing you sorted out that vacuum leak also. Nothing is better than an easy fix to a mind boggling problem like that.

Did you end up rebuilding the carb and tuning it in yourself, or was it already in good shape?

The carb was nice. I always tear into them and clean everything inside and use a new rebuilt kit to put it back together. I have the 4618SA for the Daytona and eventually, two 4618S's for the 500 since it was a pre-Jan.1969 production date. But, right now, I have that six pack setup on the 500..  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 28, 2011, 08:27:58 AM
Mine has two Thunder Series avs carbs. Does that help you any??  :-\

How do you like them? I was thinking of getting one just to have something brand new around the garage...

Troy

Charger-Bodie

I think the avs thunder series is far better than the performer.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............