News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

are there parts in a 76 727 that would benefit a 69 727?

Started by 1ol72charger4me, July 27, 2009, 06:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1ol72charger4me

Heres the deal. I have a 69 727 out of a road runner.It was designated for use behind 335 hp 383 0r 440 and has a 5 disc drum I think.I also have a 76 727 out of a cordoba. I know somewhere somebody said there were parts inside that would benefit an older 727,but now cannot find it. I'm cleaning out my garage and the 76 trans is slated to go if it would not benefit me in building the 69. It will be for a street car, 3 series gear, less than 500 horse motor. Any help or links appreciated. Thanks

RD

personally, i would rather have the 76 transmission if it is for a street car.  the 69 would have come with 4 clutch discs, 5 were for hemi's and six pack cars only if my memory is correct (JK may chime in with definitive proof).  you cannot mix the input shaft from a 70 and earlier 727 with a 76 as the bushings are two different sizes altogether.  other than that, the only differences are the front pump vent, intermediate band servo construction, and valve body programming (in regards to internals).

but, the 69 is more desirable because its a 69.  i wouldnt interchange anything in between the two if you are running less than 500 hp (i wouldnt do it anyway to be honest in any facet).  sell the 76 if you dont want it and overhaul the 69 would be my suggestion.  if you dont do your own overhauls, its best to keep the transmissions separate from one another, to include their components.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Challenger340

This may be a little off topic,
but, what year did they start incorporating a Neutral Oiling Circuit ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

John_Kunkel

What's a "Neutral oiling circuit"?

I agree with RD, the '76 transmission is a "cream puff", engineered for soft shifting; nothing in it would be considered an upgrade for a '69.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 28, 2009, 03:51:58 PM

What's a "Neutral oiling circuit"?

I agree with RD, the '76 transmission is a "cream puff", engineered for soft shifting; nothing in it would be considered an upgrade for a '69.

lol, i read that last night and was thinking "what the hell is a neutral oiling circuit", so i went to the manual and still couldnt find anything.  are you referring to the pump actually pushing fluid in "neutral"?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1ol72charger4me

Thanks for the replies! Now I'm one more square foot closer to getting the car back in the garage! If i can figure out how to hang my riding mower from the rafters, I'm home free. BTW isn't a "neutral oiling circuit" the Latin term for the hole where the rod exits the block... :Twocents:

Chatt69chgr

so wouldn't it be better if you are rebuilding the 69 trans to incorporate the 5 disc clutch?  also, were all 69 727's the same.  that is, would one out of a b-body be the same as one out of a c-body?

RD

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on July 28, 2009, 09:34:33 PM
so wouldn't it be better if you are rebuilding the 69 trans to incorporate the 5 disc clutch?  also, were all 69 727's the same.  that is, would one out of a b-body be the same as one out of a c-body?

well, he would if he indeed had one, but he doesnt.  383 hp cars came with 4 clutch disc drums, not 5.  hemi's had 5 and six pack motors too (i am garnering a guess on the six pack motors), but not a 383 hp block.  a 4 clutch disc drum will be more than capable of handling what he plans on throwing at it, heck even a 3 gear planetary would be fine to be honest.  planetaries dont fail like all the other wearing components in a transmission.  not all 69 727's were the same as some came with 3, 4 or 5 clutch discs; 3 or 4 gear planetaries (front or rear); 2.9, 3.2, 3.8, 4.2 or 5.0 levers; different governors for different shift points; intermediate band and drum thickness being different (hemi's had bigger front clutch drum and intermediate band), and there is more out there, just cant think of it right now.

each transmission was built specifically for the engine/car combination in which it was going in.  hence all the body styles (based upon engine) had different transmission set up specifically for its designed purpose.

hope that helps.

Chatt69chgr

Thanks for the info RD.  I have a 727 out of a 69 New Yorker.  Could I have it rebuilt such that it would have the same characteristics as one that went in a 69 Charger with 440.  And how would one find out what would need to be done?  I also have one out of a 77 New Yorker.  Would it be better to start with that one and have the same thing done to it?  These questions pertain to a potential future build. 

1ol72charger4me

Is there a way to tell what the ratio of the lever is?

John_Kunkel

The ratio is stamped on the side of the lever; a '69 NY would most likely have a 3.8 lever.

RD

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on July 29, 2009, 10:19:33 AM
Thanks for the info RD.  I have a 727 out of a 69 New Yorker.  Could I have it rebuilt such that it would have the same characteristics as one that went in a 69 Charger with 440.  And how would one find out what would need to be done?  I also have one out of a 77 New Yorker.  Would it be better to start with that one and have the same thing done to it?  These questions pertain to a potential future build. 

John may chime in after my response, and it would be an honor if he did, but any 727 can be built to perform specifically to the driver/owner's discretion.  the key difference is the reliability and longevity of the transmission based upon the driver's driving characteristics and the performance capabilities of the vehicle.

I look at 727's from this perspective.  They all come from a line of performance oriented stock... some are used for trotting and some are used for racing, but all have it in them to haul ass.  It's in their "genes" so to speak, its just up to the trainer to give them the ability to let it all hang out.  it would not take much to get any 727 to perform the way you want it to, you just have to figure out what you want.

John_Kunkel

Like RD says, any 727 can be built for performance use but the later ones have some features that I would recommend upgrading and this costs money (in either parts or labor) compared to their earlier counterparts.

Comparing the '69 to a '76-'77 is two extremes, if the choice was between a '69 and a '71-'73 I would choose the '71-'73 for its wider front drum bushing and the PTK valve body....the '76-'77 also has those two features but they also have a redesigned cooler flow circuit which I'm not a big fan of.

If one has access to a variety of different year parts it's easy to pick-and-choose the desireable parts from each year and combine them in one unit but that's seldom the case so I like to start with a core that needs the fewest upgrades.

Chatt69chgr