News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the best way to clean bare metal parts after media blasting?

Started by bull, July 28, 2009, 10:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

After I got a few small parts back from the media blaster I didn't really know how to clean them. What I ended up doing was putting on a pair of latex gloves, blowing them off with an air wand and then wiping them down with denatured alcohol using a very tight-knit cloth. Then I got to worrying about possible moisture in the air hose I was using but figured (hopefully) that the alcohol would take care of that. Anyway, I then primed and painted. Is this ok for the most part? Is there a better way to get the bulk of the residual media dust off a part rather than blow it off with an air gun?

69*F5*SE

I'm not sure about the denatured alcohol but you can get yourself some wax & grease remover like PPG DX330 to wipe parts down with. Even wipe them down primered before painting.

Back N Black

The70RT

I think your ok. Most spirits will remove any residue if there's any on it at all anyway.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

It's what I used because it's what was in my shed. No other reason than that except I know that alcohol leaves little or no residue itself.

OneofNoneRT

Bull, I have been using Pre-Clean I get it at the auto paint store,, It contains naptha Evaporates real fast.. And it is what it is made for.. :Twocents: If you want exact brand or numbers let me know and I will get them off the can..
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)