News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 350hp 440 vs 375 hp version differences

Started by charger_fan_4ever, August 02, 2009, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

Hi all my 70 r/t has no engine. i found a supposedly running 69 350hp 440.
The blocks are the same right?
Are the 350 hp's a forged crank too?
rotating assembly between the 2 versions the same?
he said they are 906 heads. So same heads as 375 hp ?
Intake manifold the same?
Same pistons (ie same compression?) or do the 350hp versions have a different dish piston?

Sorry for all the questions.

I've heard the only difference in the 69 440 is the cam,carb,exhaust manifold

thanks

tan top

my charger had a a non matching number 440 in it , came out of a 69 imperial it was a E series none HP motor ,   it had never been apart & still had the steal headgaskets ,  pistons were flat tops , (did not mesure how far down the bore they were but were almost at the top at TDC) every thing is the same as a HP motor except  cam & windage tray  ,  as far as i know ,  i await to be corrected  though ,    :slap:   ;D :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

Cam and valve springs, manifolds, carb, dist, is all I know (exhaust system of course)  :scratchchin:

charger_fan_4ever

Thanks for the replies guys.

What would you think a reasonable price is ? He is asking $1500 canucks for it with no carb. Its on a stand, so i don't see how he can prove its a running engine.

I don't mind a re ring and new bearings, but don't want to get into boring and new pistons.

These engines are internal balance right ? so a piston swap would require getting the rotating assembly rebalanced right ?

I've only played with Ford external balance small blocks in my drag car and a piston swap requires a rebalance on those.

firefighter3931

That seems like a lot of cash for basicly a core. I wouldn't pay more than $600-$700 for an engine like that, personally. Count on the cylinder heads needing a total rebuild.  :yesnod:

The 69 motors are all forged crank/internal balance. The Speedpro 2355 6-pack replacement pistons weigh almost identical to the stock cast slugs (within a few grams) so technically you don't need to rebalance....but i allways do just for good measure.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger_fan_4ever

Thanks Ron,

In my head i was thinking $700 tops.
Whats a round about price for a rebuild of the heads ?
Probably the price of a set of heads already rebuilt from a vendor ?

Challenger340

Yeah, sounds a little "high" ?

Whats the attraction to this engine ?
The Date code ?
or,
just that it's a "running" '69 engine ?

But, it ain't running ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 03, 2009, 08:00:17 PM

Whats the attraction to this engine ? The Date code ? or just that it's a "running" '69 engine ?  But, it ain't running ?

The running and steel crank were the attractions, but as how i can't hear it run the attraction has been dimenishing lol.

Challenger340

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on August 03, 2009, 08:23:34 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on August 03, 2009, 08:00:17 PM

Whats the attraction to this engine ? The Date code ? or just that it's a "running" '69 engine ?  But, it ain't running ?

The running and steel crank were the attractions, but as how i can't hear it run the attraction has been dimenishing lol.

pm sent
Only wimps wear Bowties !

TylerCharger69

Aren't the blocks slightly decked on the HP 440s??  As opposed to the non-HPs?

b5blue

There is nothing in the Mopar big block book about that.  :shruggy:

TylerCharger69

It seems that I fairly recently asked a question here about my 440 (don't remember which question) but the reply said that someone who worked at one of the factories told him that.   Whether or not there is any truth to it.....well....I dunno....

TylerCharger69

b5blue....I just reposted above  (440 assistance)....see if you can make heads or tails of that.  I don't have any points of reference over here on my end to prove that.

John_Kunkel

There is no dimensional difference in any 440 block, the only difference is in what's stamped on the data pad.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.