News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Blood just chilled a few degrees; Chrysler Destroys Its Historical Archives.

Started by Charger Aficionado, July 27, 2009, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

This is a Travesty:

"With little notice and no planning, Cerberus literally abandoned the engineering library at the Chrysler Technical Center. The library was shuttered and the librarian laid off. And then the real crime: all the library's books and materials were offered to anyone who could carry them away. I repeat: the documents were free for the taking. Within a week, a collection spanning decades was scattered to the winds; the books and other materials will never again be available in any coherent, comprehensive form."

:puke: SICKENED.

, Jude

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/editorial-chrysler-destroys-its-historical-archives-gm-to-follow/

Ghoste

Charger Aficionado

I think this is the stuff that they talked about in the Bible (Revelations)...

:fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry: The world is coming to and END!   :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry:

69bronzeT5

"all the library's books and materials were offered to anyone who could carry them away. I repeat: the documents were free for the taking."

Hopefully some good Mopar guys got them :yesnod: Still, that really pisses me off :RantExplode:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

RD

what brainiac came up with this and thought that it was a good idea? what a fricken moron! that is just about as stupid as stupid comes. i could go on forever about the idiocy of this (or these) jackass(es) but it would just piss me off even more.  anything on allpar about this?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

G-man

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on July 27, 2009, 10:42:31 PM
I think this is the stuff that they talked about in the Bible (Revelations)...

:fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry: The world is coming to and END!   :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry:

It is but the charger stuff definatelly has nothing to do with revelation  :lol:

It does suck  what happened but then again, dont be too caught up over that which is perishable.

Ghoste

I completely understand the logic behind it.  From a corporate perspective they just eliminated being forced to pay some of their yummy money to another stupid human being (the librarian).  High fives all around what time do we tee off?

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: RD on July 27, 2009, 11:00:15 PM
what brainiac came up with this and thought that it was a good idea? what a fricken moron! that is just about as stupid as stupid comes. i could go on forever about the idiocy of this (or these) jackass(es) but it would just piss me off even more.  anything on allpar about this?

From the onset, these foreign bastards do not give a care about American History.  The few emails I shared with (then Daimler Chrysler CEO) Dieter Zetsche concerning the importance of AMERICAN automotive history (regarding the cheap name labeling of the "New Dodge Charger" on a version of the Magnum Wagon that was cut to a sedan), I found that they do not realize the IMPORTANCE of our Automotive Heritage.  It's apparent they don't give a care.  

I will give Zetsche some clemency, as he may have listened when they designed the new Challenger as a retro-styled concept.  But I had to BLOW UP his inbox.  And others in the auto industry wrote articles in magazines, and there were many upset people.  Unfortunately this Cerebes mistake, is uncorrectable.  I had the same thought as 69Bronze; I hope there was a "Good Guy" around.  My God.

Ghoste

Cerberus is American (although I think Al Gore sits on their board?).

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Ghoste on July 27, 2009, 11:12:37 PM
Cerberus is American (although I think Al Gore sits on their board?).

When they first acquired Chrysler I think someone said something about them or their CEO being Canadian.  I know they have their fingers in A LOT of pots.  Damn Sharks.  Piece by Piece. 

anything on allpar about this?
I haven't seen anything on allpar moparts, or other MoPar sites.  Post it around the net and see if anyone has this stuff.  I'd like to know!

I was alerted to this by a hometown friend (fellow '69 R/T owner), that has close ties to the auto industry, media ect...  He used to write for Car Craft Magazine, and he got to test Daytonas and write articles on them!  (I wish he would scan some for me sometime)!  

MoparManJim

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on July 27, 2009, 11:10:12 PM
what brainiac came up with this and thought that it was a good idea? what a fricken moron! that is just about as stupid as stupid comes. i could go on forever about the idiocy of this (or these) jackass(es) but it would just piss me off even more.  anything on allpar about this?

From the onset, these foreign bastards do not give a care about American History.  The few emails I shared with (then Daimler Chrysler CEO) Dieter Zetsche concerning the importance of AMERICAN automotive history (regarding the cheap name labeling of the "New Dodge Charger" on a version of the Magnum Wagon that was cut to a sedan), I found that they do not realize the IMPORTANCE of our Automotive Heritage.  It's apparent they don't give a care.  I will give Zetsche some clemency, as he may have listened when they designed the new Challenger as a retro-styled concept.  But I had to BLOW UP his inbox.  And others in the auto industry wrote articles in magazines, and there were many upset people.  Unfortunately this Cerebes mistake, is uncorrectable.  I had the same thought as you; I hope there was a "Good Guy" around.  My God.

It's all about the green backs $$$$ anymore, they can care less about what we want if there is enough doe ray me in for them from the other person and then they won't listen to us at all. Now days it depends on who got the most cash is that they will listen to.  :shruggy:

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: MoparManJim on July 27, 2009, 11:22:27 PM
It's all about the green backs $$$$ anymore, they can care less about what we want if there is enough doe ray me in for them from the other person and then they won't listen to us at all. Now days it depends on who got the most cash is that they will listen to.  :shruggy:

Speaking of which...  Get out your wallets and start watching eGouge (eBay).  Some of this stuff is SURE to end up on there (especially the Aero-Daytona/NASCAR stuff).

Ghoste

Of course, at the very great risk of launching this into the political toilet it is worth mentioning that there is also a chance this move is being foisted upon Chrysler and GM by Obama and the Green Machine.  Major restructuring is the order of the day and all non-essential things MUST go.  :scratchchin:

Aero426

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on July 27, 2009, 11:26:22 PM

Speaking of which...  Get out your wallets and start watching eGouge (eBay).  This stuff is SURE to end up on there (especially the Aero-Daytona/NASCAR stuff).

Most of that old 60's race stuff is already in private hands.    A lot of that has been shared online.  Don't forget that there was already a big purge when Chrysler was in trouble in the late 70's.  

Aero426

Ford has gone through a lot of this same stuff.   All the 1960's race stuff was stored at their Industrial Archives.    At some point within the last decade, the archivist was told they needed to move and could only take a relatively small percentage of what they had due to space considerations.   (Keep in mind there was 100 years of all things Ford there).    She decided to offer the race stuff to a private researcher and collector.    What showed up at his door was a semi truck of pallets with full file cabinets.     The collection is absolutely staggering.  We are talking GT40 Lemans program, Trans-Am, Indy,  NASCAR, drag racing you name it.    It contains literally every saved internal memo from within the race group.    Photos,  race engineering documents.     The bottom line, is that the materials are in good hands.   But Ford doesn't have it, which seems amazing.  

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Aero426 on July 27, 2009, 11:36:54 PM
The bottom line, is that the materials are in good hands.   But Ford doesn't have it, which seems amazing.  
At least Cerebus could have done that; found someone (I guess even........ Galen).

Matter of fact....  I WONDER.......   I bet he got his hands on something if he KNEW about this (besides that's what made him his money/rep).  

EDIT: Matter of fact, I just shot him an email.  Sent him a link to the article.  I'm sure he probably was on top of all of the happenings, but you never know? Article was dtd:  July 26, 2009.  If he was NOT, then maybe he can get in touch with some of his connections that may know something there?  I hope somebody can track this stuff down, and PRESERVE it.  

Could you imagine owning the scribblings/sketches that Engineer Richard Sias came up with (the double-diamond Charger design).  MAN, I'd put that in an EXPENSIVE frame on the wall, and shoot ya'll a high-res scan!  

tan top

what the hell is going on  :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry:

wonder what the out come would be if all museum's & library's all over started doing the same thing
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Quote from: Aero426 on July 27, 2009, 11:30:44 PM
Don't forget that there was already a big purge when Chrysler was in trouble in the late 70's.  

Yes, and there was a lot of disappointment from Chrysler fans for years after when it was found out.  I'd bemoan the fact that they didn't learn but it isn't Chrysler doing it this time but whoever is pulling the strings for them.

bakerhillpins

Wow, that is sad.... :'(  Amazing how short sighted the corporate world is these days.  :RantExplode:  Hope someone that cares got a hold of some of this stuff.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Old Moparz

Maybe this sounds arrogant or even ignorant in a way, but I've never called, or contacted a Chrysler librarian, or let alone anyone from Chrysler about a question, so what impact does this really have? Is it just nostalgia or principal?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ghoste

A little of both for me.  I have contacted people there with questions and unfortunately I have been skunked each time by the last purge.  You know the terse reply, "we're very sorry but unfortunately the records containing the information you are seeking were lost in the late 70's".  But at least there was someone there to try. 

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on July 28, 2009, 07:58:49 AM
A little of both for me.  I have contacted people there with questions and unfortunately I have been skunked each time by the last purge.  You know the terse reply, "we're very sorry but unfortunately the records containing the information you are seeking were lost in the late 70's".  But at least there was someone there to try. 

It is not clear whether the recent Chrysler Technical Center purge pertains to the entity known as "Chrysler Historical".   Reading the article, I am of the opinion it isn't and that the Chrysler Historical stuff is safe.      This recent stuff will probably prove to be another archive and one that does not pertain to the old stuff.    Just about everyone is assuming the worst here.

ODZKing

Sad  :bawling:   It's amazing today how many people have no respect for history or heritage.  Items get thrown away because "we don't have the room" or "what do we need to keep that for" then there is no record of the past.
If it were for some people the Declaration of Independance and Bill of Rights would have been tossed as useless pieces of paper because we don't have room to keep it.  Oh, you need to record a show ... just use this tape.  It is only some black and white really bad quality video of some guy in a space suit walking around in the sand.
Oh ... that's right, they did really do that!   ::)

451-74Charger

I wonder if, like they did here, they digitised the archives?? Just a thought....

Ghoste

And yes, I am assuming the worst.  I assume the worst because there is a good track record that instructs me to do so. 

Brock Samson

This is not so rare an event,.. I know the San Francisco Examiner Newspaper, a Heast Corp. property Gave Away their entire Library to the Fang family   Who a couple years ago sold it for some millions to private collectors who are in the Biz of selling historical items on line. That collection was so extensive it took a few weeks to simply asess what was in the library in the most basic of terms.
I figgure the bean counters couldn't care less and see it it as a labor intensive money drain - best to be simply chucked rather then delt with in a proper fashion over time.
Wow! first time in some while I've seen Jude around these parts,..  :wave:

FastbackJon

I'm mostly concerned whether the build archives are safe or not. The website is still up to order them. I sent an email, will see if I get a reply.

http://www.chryslerheritage.com/newsroom.do?id=390&mid=135

[EDIT]

I got a quick reply! See below:

Hello Jon,

No, the Chrysler Archives is still open.  The Chrysler Engineering Library is what closed down.  There was a misprint put out about this. 

What I will need from you is your serial number.  From there, I will look in our records and get back to you shortly.

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Chrysler Historical Collection
CIMS 410-11-21
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288

Email: archives@wpchryslermuseum.org
Fax: (313) 252-2928
www.chryslerheritage.com
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

MoparManJim

Well now days, most kids doesn't no respeck for others or them self's. They like to drive around with that big arse radios just a blasting and think it's kool when in fact it's stupid  ::) :eek2:  So why should they have respeck for history stuff? To them it's probably more like kid drawings and use less crap. 

But I hope that the folks some how got the info, and it all is in good hands now.

Hemidoug

Well, if it was the Engineering stuff the went I'll be willing to bet they were grabbed up by someone in the re-pop industry....now who would be smart enough to grab that sort of stuff....you know...stuff like drawings, production changes, ect?  :scratchchin:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Aero426

It does sound pretty bad.   Got a reply from someone who works there.   He said the purge occurred this past spring.  Many, many dumpsters were filled.   The Chrysler Museum people (now a separate entity from the company) were not involved and had no opportunity to go through the stuff.   A lot was said to have been brought over from the old Highland Park facility in the 90's. 

Scaregrabber

It's most likely a lot of stuff to do with Mini vans and Neons. I'm not going to jump off a bridge over it.

Sheldon

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Scaregrabber on July 28, 2009, 04:34:52 PM
It's most likely a lot of stuff to do with Mini vans and Neons. I'm not going to jump off a bridge over it.
Sheldon
Oh, no doubt 90% of it was probably junk.  It's the 10% that I'd Love to look at.

rav440

i thought the all of the info/ Archives for CHRYSLER was lost in a fire in the 1970s .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Chatt69chgr

There is a reply above concerning the Chrysler build archives.  What is this?  Can I get information on my 69 Charger by supplying them with the VIN number?

ODZKing

I think they're referring to the pre 68 stuff that they do have unless they found more info.   :shruggy:

mopar0166

hemi-hampton

Quote from: rav440 on July 29, 2009, 06:42:40 AM
i thought the all of the info/ Archives for CHRYSLER was lost in a fire in the 1970s .

Lost in Fire my Ass, These Idiots threw all that stuff away in dumpsters from Highland Park in the 70's. After everybody that found out called them Idiots they then came up with a new excuse (B.S. Story) to help justify it being gone by saying, UH, It got lost in a Fire. Really, it was unintentional, we really are not the idiots they are calling us. The fire excuse B.S to not look Stupid but now they are stupid enough to do it all over again :shruggy: :brickwall:

resq302

Yup, thats what I was told when I called them.  The years that were lost in the fire was supposedly 1968-the mid 70s.  Hmm.... the height of the muscle car era.... go figure. :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemi-hampton

All the stuff they are throwing away now. What do you think they will be telling people in 30-50 years when they ask what happened to it. :scratchchin: Hmmm, that fire story worked before, Lets try that one again :brickwall: