News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone else have a problem with classic cars being sent overseas?

Started by Sublime69, July 27, 2009, 12:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisiecki1

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Brock Samson

chargerjy9

"don't get your panties is a wad, I'm discussing a subject that alot of people get pissed off about over here."

I don't get it, maybe those people need to get a life, there is a whole lot more HERE to get pissed off about. IMO. I bleed MOPAR BLUE, she has put food on my table for near 50 years. I will defend her always... I have no problem with someone overseas who wants a Mopar, it just builds up the brand and it's heritage. I would rather see one  somewhere else around the world being enjoyed, than have it rusting away in a field, or being squirreled away in some rich guy's private collection under lock and key. who are those "pissed off people" the fringe?
America needs to have a protectionist attitude towards many issues, but I would embrace someone who has a passion for Penatastar, no matter where.
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

TiMopar

I agree with Sublime69, us evil foreigners in the third world cannot be trusted with your precious Mopars. I alone have a history of doing this to the rusty old junk you didn't want since the mid seventies. I am currently cutting and grinding and welding on a V-code 70 RR and an AAR, with a 68 Charger R/T as my next victim! *Evil laugh in an English accent with bad teeth*

lisiecki1

Quote from: TiMopar on July 27, 2009, 01:01:03 PM
I agree with Sublime69, us evil foreigners in the third world cannot be trusted with your precious Mopars. I alone have a history of doing this to the rusty old junk you didn't want since the mid seventies. I am currently cutting and grinding and welding on a V-code 70 RR and an AAR, with a 68 Charger R/T as my next victim! *Evil laugh in an English accent with bad teeth*

for shame sir, you do not deserve to own such things, you must send it to me immediately!  call an international shipping company and pm me for my address and stick to your tea and crumpets.

bwahahahahahahaha :smilielol: :smilielol:

p.s. post lots of pics when it's done!

LeadfootBob

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 27, 2009, 12:05:44 PM
You still have NO hertiage with American cars.
I was born in '81, supposedly my first trip in a hot car was while still in my mommas belly as dad ran his '71 camaro through the gears (Irresponsible? Well, that's the family motto  :icon_smile_big:). Growing up I didn't really care that much about cars (although I saw the movies, read the mags, learned the talk and watched others wrench them) until I got a ride in a '69 Nova with a built 402, slicks, 4.11's and all that stuff. As that guy in Heat so elegantly put it: "F*cked. For. LIFE."

In the back of our garage there's a whole pile of car mags, dating all the way back to 1975. Plenty of american cars were being shipped over even back then, Chrysler shipped cars over in pieces and assembled them locally. We had street racing, cruising, car culture, hot rodding, the whole nine yards. Pretty much every town had a brace of cruisers and stoplight heroes duking it out on friday/saturday night, meeting at the burger joints, etc. etc. As previously mentioned, dad drove a '71 Camaro with a hopped up 350 in it, his friend has a '69 Charger R/T that had a stroked 440 (500 cui in 1977-78? crazy shit) which has since run mid-nines, at one point their car club convinced the local authorities to lend them a strip of freeway still under construction so that they could drag race for the weekend.
Nowadays, their sons and daughters are buying their dream cars to enjoy, cruise in and race with. If I'm not entirely mistaken the annual Power Big Meet (now over 30 years old) held in June is one of the largest shows for american car enthusiasts in the world with over 10,000 cars in attendance. This with a Swedish population of 9 million.
Now you tell me... What constitutes a "heritage with american cars"?
My pile of coins  :smilielol:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

4cruzin

Everyone has a right to own any car they want if their will to pay for it no matter where they live.   :shruggy:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Sublime69

This just goes to show how many smartasses are really on here. You guys can't even stick to the topic or understand what the hell you're even saying. All the europeans on here want to defend how they have history with these cars, please.....

A car being sent overseas does NOT HELP a car rusting in a field here. The guy with a car rusting in a field isn't going to sell that car any faster just because there is an overseas buyer.  ::) At least you can TRY TO BUY that car rusting in somebody's field. Kinda hard to make a deal on a car in Europe......

Alot of people on here clearly can't stick to the topic. Your arguments make no sense to the topic at hand. You sound like your more interested in spreading the hobby than enjoying the cars here with people that actually remember them. Anyway, I got the mood of most of the people on here, politically correct "worldwide" is better for our hobby blah blah.... At least your car is safe in saudi arabia........ ::) Better there than here right? Someone might neglect it here, NO CHANCE of that happening over there.  :eyes:

I guess it's only cool for people in Europe to act like they're Americans. You'll never have the history, heritage, or knowledge about how it was when these cars were abundant. Keep laughing with your english accent, funny when that car ends up in the bottom of the atlantic on it's way to get shipped elsewhere. Containers slide ya know.... Go back to chatting on the internet about your cars. I've got work to do.
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

lisiecki1

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 27, 2009, 01:24:51 PMknowledge about how it was when these cars were abundant.

So.....because my car was built before I was born and I don't have direct knowledge of how it was "back then" I should'nt own it?

and if I was to move overseas for work, would I then be required to sell my car before I left?

To be honest you're coming off like a little kid that's mad no one agrees with him.  Whether or not someone "deserves" to own something has no relevance in being politically correct.  Who are you to decide who deserves to have what?

BB1

Sign my petition, {No more Mopars sent to Canada.}

Or NMMSTC

They're not worthy.  :notworthy:

:ohhthesarcasm:

Next the Netherlands!  :D
Delete my profile

Old Moparz

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 27, 2009, 01:24:51 PM
This just goes to show how many smartasses are really on here. You guys can't even stick to the topic or understand what the hell you're even saying. All the europeans on here want to defend how they have history with these cars, please.....

A car being sent overseas does NOT HELP a car rusting in a field here. The guy with a car rusting in a field isn't going to sell that car any faster just because there is an overseas buyer.  ::) At least you can TRY TO BUY that car rusting in somebody's field. Kinda hard to make a deal on a car in Europe......

Alot of people on here clearly can't stick to the topic. Your arguments make no sense to the topic at hand. You sound like your more interested in spreading the hobby than enjoying the cars here with people that actually remember them. Anyway, I got the mood of most of the people on here, politically correct "worldwide" is better for our hobby blah blah.... At least your car is safe in saudi arabia........ ::) Better there than here right? Someone might neglect it here, NO CHANCE of that happening over there.  :eyes:

I guess it's only cool for people in Europe to act like they're Americans. You'll never have the history, heritage, or knowledge about how it was when these cars were abundant. Keep laughing with your english accent, funny when that car ends up in the bottom of the atlantic on it's way to get shipped elsewhere. Containers slide ya know.... Go back to chatting on the internet about your cars. I've got work to do.

I don't think the bulk of the posts were at all intended to be "politically correct" as much as they were just meant to say that anyone who loves old cars & wants one, should just go ahead & get one. I think it's pretty cool when someone from another country is passionate enough over a car to go through the effort, expense, & aggrevation, to import one of ours to have fun with & enjoy. The furthest thing from my thoughts is making a "PC" statement. It's more about showing another car lover some respect, whether it's a Mopar or any other make.

By the way, you're entitled to your own opinion & I don't have any interest in changing it because the reality of it is that the small percentage of cars that go overseas is probably less significant than the ones butcherd by a dirtbag like halpag.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Mike DC

Yeah, HLPAG-style restorations are probably at least as statisticaly bad.  

I understand the gut reaction to seeing these things carted off to other far-off places when you want more of them yourself.  Anyone can identify with that.  It's logical that a Charger seems more at home sitting next to a roadrunner and a Comet than sitting next to a row of foreign cars.

But how at-home does a 68 Charger appear when it's sitting next to a modern Toyota Prius?  These things are pretty much fish-out-of-water even in the USA these days. 

I didn't really "remember" these cars and I'm from Missouri.  I didn't grow up with a wrench in my hand and my father & uncle rebuilding the motor in the gararge.  

I was a suburban kid who grew up watching them on TV/movies more than "experiencing them in real life."  I had barely ever experienced them in person before I started trying to find ones to buy as a teenager.  

I don't think this experience would have been very much different if I had grown up in another country.  I would've had to go farther to and pay more to get these cars and be around them, that's about all.  

Sublime69

I'm acting like a little kid?  :shruggy: Lets look at your comments, one of them anyway:

Quote from: lisiecki1 on July 27, 2009, 01:03:27 PM

for shame sir, you do not deserve to own such things, you must send it to me immediately!  call an international shipping company and pm me for my address and stick to your tea and crumpets.

Sounds off topic and smartass to me.  :shruggy:

I asked a simple question, I get several people telling me to "calm down" or whatever like this is really a PITA for me. This doesn't plague me like a PITA mosquito or any other number of problems out there. It's a question, nothing more. What gets me is when people introduce sarcasm and words that were not said by me or use scenarios that make absolutely no sense.

I have my cars, and I'll get some more. It'll be pretty funny though when people are on here bitching because there's nobody showing up to Carlisle or Columbus anymore because they're all sitting in the netherlands or asia in 20 years.

What I'm saying is overseas enthusiasts rarely have a connection to these cars. It isn't in their history. And the common argument is "at least it's being enjoyed overseas than rusting here". Yeah, at least it isn't rusting, but who's to say for it to be over here it has to be rusting and neglected?
1969 Charger 440

skip68

So you drive an 04 Honda Civic as a daily driver.   :think:   This lets you save money for your dream cars right ?   :shruggy:   I'd be willing to bet that our foreign brothers for the most part have more appreciation and respect for these cars than we do.    :yesnod:   We grew up with them, see them and are able to get them at less cost.   These cars over there are considered exotics.   We should feel very lucky to have these cars and our dreams of getting one is realistic.   A dream car has nothing to do with Race, gender, your location, heritage, history or knowledge.    I guess Americans should not have a dream car unless it's built here, right ?    :smilielol:    
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Sublime69

They aren't my "brothers" and I doubt they respect the cars more than alot of people here, including myself. As I understand it, most offshore buyers are looking for an investment. Then there's the few that show up in places like here looking for advice.
You seem like just another smart ass trying to stir an argument by putting words in my mouth. Have fun with you dukes knock off.
1969 Charger 440

lisiecki1

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 27, 2009, 02:00:05 PM
I'm acting like a little kid?  :shruggy: Lets look at your comments, one of them anyway:

Quote from: lisiecki1 on July 27, 2009, 01:03:27 PM

Sounds off topic and smartass to me.  :shruggy:

I asked a simple question, I get several people telling me to "calm down" or whatever like this is really a PITA for me. This doesn't plague me like a PITA mosquito or any other number of problems out there. It's a question, nothing more. What gets me is when people introduce sarcasm and words that were not said by me or use scenarios that make absolutely no sense.

I have my cars, and I'll get some more. It'll be pretty funny though when people are on here bitching because there's nobody showing up to Carlisle or Columbus anymore because they're all sitting in the netherlands or asia in 20 years.

What I'm saying is overseas enthusiasts rarely have a connection to these cars. It isn't in their history. And the common argument is "at least it's being enjoyed overseas than rusting here". Yeah, at least it isn't rusting, but who's to say for it to be over here it has to be rusting and neglected?

smart ass, yes....off topic, well, i didn't think it was too far off topic, but this is the internet and people will take things how they take them.  

You're going about this entire thread in a way that sounds like it's a major soul-stealing PITA to you.  

I think the above scenario is baseless and completely without merit and you are grasping at straws to find a way to solidify your argument.  Who are you to say someone overseas has no history with these cars?  

What about the ones that are purchased rusting and neglected and restored overseas?

Why don't you buy all the ones that are available for shipping overseas before someone overseas does?

Your thread makes no sense.  I believe that is why you're getting so many smart ass comments.

Brock Samson

Dude, You started this snowball rolling yourself,..
at least when i say I'm sick of all the Jenny Lees I'm prepared to take some lumps..  :-\
pretty much a confrontational thread if you ask me...  :shruggy:  :Twocents:
'n needs to end here...
pretty well written if not well justified,.. in my opinion...
but i'm curious if anyone agrees with you like you say...
i will not post in this thread again.  :icon_smile_wink:

Sublime69

I was preparred to hear opinion, not sarcastic smart ass comments.

I did here some that were good, MikeDC etc.

But some reasoning leaves me questioning where the hell peoples heads are. I didn't change my argument from the beginning, so I'm not trying to solidify my argument, it stands as it did. Or are some of you just too thin skinned you can 't tell the difference between opinion and attacks. When I'm attacked, I attack back, don't know about others.
1969 Charger 440

Dodge Don

This thread is an all new low.

You can call it PC if you wish but I've got a ton of respect for Mopar enthusiasts in the far flung corners of the globe that must bear monumental costs and obstacles to enjoy the hobby. Try having a car or parts shipped overseas. My hat is off to these guys...they are hardcore Mopar lovers in my books.  :2thumbs:  

lisiecki1

Ok, well, this has gone on long enough for me.

You're right.

I'm wrong.

I'll leave your thread now.

Thank you for the conversation.

Randy

mauve66

i can't believe i wasted 5 mins of my life reading this crap

Quote from: skip68 on July 27, 2009, 02:02:03 PM
We grew up with them, see them and are able to get them at less cost.   These cars over there are considered exotics.   We should feel very lucky to have these cars and our dreams of getting one is realistic.   A dream car has nothing to do with Race, gender, your location, heritage, history or knowledge.    I guess Americans should not have a dream car unless it's built here, right ?    :smilielol:     

i think that says it best

now back to important things, like chocolate
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ghoste

My last post here too; I've been trying to formulate a rational response for a completely irrational debate.  To answer your question and nothing else, sure I have a problem with vintage cars going overseas.  I have an equal problem with them going to the next county, the next town, even the next door neighbor.  I want them all but that is an irrational and totally pointless thought (in fact, it's just outright stupid).  You can accuse me of being politically correct but trying to keep all vintage American cars in the US because of some special cultural attachment that can only be gained by living in the US during a time period when you can remember lots of them driving around is bizarre.
What about other special cultural Americanisms?  Should there have been a ban on allowing Elvis, Carl Perkins, and Gene Vincent records to be heard or enjoyed outside the US?  That would make it hard to have the Beatles or Led Zeppelin wouldn't it?  Why end at culture?  You yourself said the cars were designed and built in the US and that was part of your argument for keeping them there.  What about medical technology?  For the US only?  Does it work both ways?  What if a cure for cancer is found in Portugal?  Is it just tough luck for Americans then?  If you want to keep US desinged and built technology in the US I bet a lot of nations would like to see it applied to military hardware.
Oh yes, I am sure you are ready to respond and tell me that none of what I have just written has anything to do with what you have asked or stated.  I assure you it does because one surreal idea deserves another.  It's just following the logic train.
If you had told me that you wished the cars would stay in the US because you hate missing the opportunity to buy them, I would someone understand that but you have defended your position on the cultural entitlement and made here stay here arguments and they are arguments that are full of holes.

Dans 68

Quote from: lisiecki1 on July 27, 2009, 02:10:00 PM

...What about the ones that are purchased rusting and neglected and restored overseas...?

Just to interject a little fact....

This one (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35861.0.html) found new life in the Netherlands (I saw it, with it's happy owner on a video   :rofl:). I could not nor wanted to save it. Good for the buyer (although I think he got more than he bargained for in restoration work) to give it new life.

Again, as long as it is not meant for a smelter I have no concerns. Just remember what Doris Day would have sung....  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Sublime69

Records? Medical equipment? Curing cancer? What???

Classic cars are a finite item, they'll never be anymore than what there is now. Records can be duplicated over and over, so no, I don't have a problem with someone overseas listeing to Elvis, Led Zeppelin, or anybody else. That's crazy. Medical equipment and advances? Your talking apples and oranges. Your second sentence is all we needed here, not to sound rude either so don't take it that way Ghoste.

I think some of you are putting more into it than is needed.

My argument for them to stay here is so others here can enjoy them because the heritage goes back a looooong ways here and nowhere else. That's why I used a cultural example to defend keeping them here. What's wrong with that?
1969 Charger 440