News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone else have a problem with classic cars being sent overseas?

Started by Sublime69, July 27, 2009, 12:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sublime69

This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the classic car hobby, especially dealers that get a hold of old cars and are eagerly willing to send classics overseas where we will probably never have the opportunity to see them again.

Everytime I get on ebay and see a pristine Hemi car or another rare Mopar being offered worldwide with an ad that eagerly welcomes overseas buyers I just want to kick their ass.

It's bad enough our cars are as rare as they are and we hardly ever get a chance to appreciate them as much as we'd like to but they have to be sent to people overseas with relatively no history, compassion, or sentimentality to cars from our past that we either owned or someday dreamed of owning.

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this, right?
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

69bronzeT5

People overseas love Mopars too so I don't see a problem with them having some.... :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Sublime69

So you don't see a problem with seeing less of the cars that your into? Maybe we should send every Hemi car, Max Wedge etc overseas and have nobody to show up at any of our events. Afterall, all we did was design and build the cars anyway.  :shruggy:

People into Mopars overseas are like people into MG's over here, they exist, but it's completely irrelevant to their car culture. They just don't look right over there.
1969 Charger 440

Brock Samson

"It's bad enough our cars are as rare as they are and we hardly ever get a chance to appreciate them as much as we'd like to but they have to be sent to people overseas with relatively no history, compassion, or sentimentality to cars from our past that we either owned or someday dreamed of owning."

I dunno but I strongly disagree,.. look at any of the american car show threads from Europe and it's quite clear they totally appreciate and even love our cars and the American car culture...
  read some of the old threads...
  Let's see if it doesn't change your mind,.. BTW: There were alot more American cars going over seas 2 years to 18 Mos. Ago when the exchange rate was far more favorable to buy american classics and ship them over seas.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 27, 2009, 01:04:59 AM
So you don't see a problem with seeing less of the cars that your into? Maybe we should send every Hemi car, Max Wedge etc overseas and have nobody to show up at any of our events. Afterall, all we did was design and build the cars anyway.  :shruggy:

We're not sending EVERY car over there. I feel we get to enjoy these awesome cars, why reject other Mopar fans that oppurtunity.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Sublime69

Ok, maybe my points not clear enough.

Yes, I realize they like our cars, who wouldn't? But they have no history with our cars compared to us.

If you guys like seeing less and less of our cars at shows, then so be it. The question is are you guys ok with sending a rare Mopar overseas, posibly never to be brought back? There are few left as it is. Why should I feel happy and giddy inside because someone in sweden or japan is also a Mopar fan? There's enough of us here.
1969 Charger 440

Brock Samson

Dans 68

As long as they are not being used in a smelter,  no.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Rolling_Thunder

Well...    rich people live Everywhere man...       My friend's Father has sent a couple of his cars to Europe because he has a house in Italy...    So he has one of his BOSS 429 Stangs, a Viper, and Daytona over there....         (He also Sold a 1970 Shelby GT500 to a man in Saudi Arabia)

My opinion is yes it is difficult to see them go but that does not make it wrong....     what if you lived in Europe and really wanted a classic mopar ?   Would you move to the US just to own one ?   I just think it is cool (in a way) that Mopars (and other brands) are spreading over the world - why should we be the only ones to enjoy them ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Arthu®

Striving for world domination since 1986

Mike DC

I don't love seeing them leave the US either.  But we can "lose" cars right here at home.  I can think of plenty of locally-owned musclecars that probably don't get driven 100 miles in 10 years.  Many of their owners seem all that into them either.

I think the average american muscle car owner who lives outside the US seems to be pretty fanatical about it. 

Think:  How committed and enthusiastic is the guy who pays to import an Aussie Falcon or a vintage British sports car into the US?  Usually he's pretty damn thrilled about them.

TruckDriver

I don't know... But I'd sure love to own a 1975 Ford Falcon GT 429 from Australia (or a XB Falcon like pictured).  :drool5: :yesnod:

or this even

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

LeadfootBob

Quote from: Arthu® on July 27, 2009, 03:28:47 AM
You have got to be kidding...

Concur.
Take a look at the american car scene in europe, especially Sweden/Finland, before you open your mouth about how our "car culture" is composed and how we have "no history" with these cars.
Do you really think some idiot would buy an american car, import it, restore it (you think we just run down to the Pep boys store for parts? make a few calls and find 440's lying around in barns for 500 bucks? Buy sheet metal produced "locally"?) and then drive it around with gas costing more than 6 bucks a gallon if he didn't LOVE the damn thing?!

I'm REALLY sorry I wasn't born in America, and I'm even MORE sorry that I bought a Mopar that some sneaky bastard STOLE from you! After all, I guess throwing down 10000 dollars for a basket case (yes, I consider it a decent price for a car this rotten around here!) after dreaming about owning one for most of my life isn't good enough... I'll just forget about the whole affair and ship it back, My apologies, I had no idea!  :rotz:

(Pretty rare for me to throw a tantrum but this kind of bigoted nonsense just pisses me off something fierce)  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Ghoste

I remember similar arguments not that long ago in the vintage guitar hobby.  I have pics someplace from a guitar show I attended in Michigan in the 90's and there were a group of buyers there from Japan.  They had purchased floor space for a booth but not as vendors, it was storage and while one person waited behind and watched over the growing pile of tweed guitar cases, the other two or three were running through the building as quickly as possible buying up every old Fender, Gibson, and Rickenbacker they saw.  The dealers were giddy with joy over the pay and price feeding frenzy and the regular showgoers all grumbled about no more American guitars in America.  Guess what?  There are still plenty of vintage American guitars in America and some of the ones that went to Japan have ended up coming back.
Xenophobia is a strange animal.

RECHRGD

Just look at some of the beautiful restorations that of our over seas members have done.  I would much prefer to see a classic mopar saved in another country than some that I have seen over here just rotting away in some jerks back yard.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

skip68

Quote from: LeadfootBob on July 27, 2009, 08:51:21 AM
Quote from: Arthu® on July 27, 2009, 03:28:47 AM
You have got to be kidding...

Concur.
Take a look at the American car scene in Europe, especially Sweden/Finland, before you open your mouth about how our "car culture" is composed and how we have "no history" with these cars.
Do you really think some idiot would buy an American car, import it, restore it (you think we just run down to the Pep boys store for parts? make a few calls and find 440's lying around in barns for 500 bucks? Buy sheet metal produced "locally"?) and then drive it around with gas costing more than 6 bucks a gallon if he didn't LOVE the damn thing?!

I'm REALLY sorry I wasn't born in America, and I'm even MORE sorry that I bought a Mopar that some sneaky bastard STOLE from you! After all, I guess throwing down 10000 dollars for a basket case (yes, I consider it a decent price for a car this rotten around here!) after dreaming about owning one for most of my life isn't good enough... I'll just forget about the whole affair and ship it back, My apologies, I had no idea!  :rotz:

(Pretty rare for me to throw a tantrum but this kind of bigoted nonsense just pisses me off something fierce)  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

LeadfootBob,  You can buy our cars but you will never be American.    :nana:   Well said Bob.   :cheers:  I see nothing wrong with it at all.  Why does it matter what your address is when it comes to loving these cars ?   I helped CB "Christian" from Belgium buy his car, store his car at my house for 6 months in my garage and even gave him food and shelter.   ;)   :shruggy:   I talked the owner down on the price of his car and helped him get parts for it too.   We are all Charger "Mopar" brothers and I don't care where you are from.  If you need help that's why we are here   :2thumbs:       Chuck...........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Nacho-RT74

then Italians, Brittish and Germas should hate when some cool Mercedes, Ferrari, Lambo, Masserati, Bugatti, Aston Martin is being sold to USA ( specially California )

Calm down buddy.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Armudster

So I can't drive a US Mopar because I'm at the wrong side of the world? I love American cars and I like your culture too, I speak English, I listen to Rockabilly and Country, I love Harleys, I sure love to eat junkie food, and I have a share of dreams and one of them is a 68 Charger. See, we're not that different after all, so do you want all the good stuff while I'm left here with nothing? I don't complain when some American friends come here to Brazil and fuck our girls, and drink Caipirinhas, and I even encourage them, even though there's more to see here than that. We all have things to share and learn from eachother.
I am coming to the US next year to get a High Performance Technology Associate of Science degree and I'll finally buy a 68 Charger while I'm there, I'll spend 2 to 4 years over there and plan to restore it while I'm there, and guess what, when I'm gone I'll bring the car with me to Brazil, so don't feel bad about that, and if you want to come to Brazil one day I'll show you around, and I'm sure you'll see that  we deserve, and already have some Mopars over here, and even have our own version of the A Body Mopar, specially when you see the wonders we do with bodywork and performance, since we do it all from scratch and we don't have access to sheet metal or crate engines.
Greetings from Brazil  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Old Moparz

People are people, so what the hell difference does it make where a car, or just about anything, ends up as long as it's enjoyed? I think the only way I'd ever have a problem with a rare Mopar going overseas, is if it went to a place like Antarctica. I don't think they make a good cleaner that can get penguin shit off paint.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Arthu®

Quote from: Armudster on July 27, 2009, 10:42:11 AM
I am coming to the US next year to get a High Performance Technology Associate of Science degree and I'll finally buy a 68 Charger while I'm there, I'll spend 2 to 4 years over there and plan to restore it while I'm there, and guess what, when I'm gone I'll bring the car with me to Brazil, so don't feel bad about that, and if you want to come to Brazil one day I'll show you around, and I'm sure you'll see that  we deserve, and already have some Mopars over here, and even have our own version of the A Body Mopar, specially when you see the wonders we do with bodywork and performance, since we do it all from scratch and we don't have access to sheet metal or crate engines.

Why would you have to prove that you deserve a Mopar, the mere fact that you want one should be enough that if you have the money that you can buy one... Half the persons in the U.S. that own a Mopar probably don't deserve (whatever is meant with deserve) one.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Armudster

Quote from: Arthu® on July 27, 2009, 11:03:37 AM
Quote from: Armudster on July 27, 2009, 10:42:11 AM

Why would you have to prove that you deserve a Mopar, the mere fact that you want one should be enough that if you have the money that you can buy one... Half the persons in the U.S. that own a Mopar probably don't deserve (whatever is meant with deserve) one.

Arthur

I wasn´t trying to prove anything, I was just saying that it doesn´t need to be in the US to be in good hands, and that´s what matters the most.

Back N Black

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 27, 2009, 01:04:59 AM

People into Mopars overseas are like people into MG's over here, they exist, but it's completely irrelevant to their car culture. They just don't look right over there.

So, whats you solution?

Ghoste

What about cars that were exported in the first place?  What about a foreign country like Canada?

Sublime69

Well I have to say I'm suprised at the responses to this topic.

I guess the thing nowadays is to be politically correct and say "as long as they're enjoying the car, who cares".

I don't consider Canada sending the car to a far away country, where it can be lost forever. Canadians have just as much heritage with these cars as us. And there weren't enough cars exported elsewhere to have that heritage spread throughout Europe as the collectors there would have you think.

The point is this, there are too many people here that would appreciate the cars for what they are, there is no reason to sell them overseas just because they "get a good home". It seems more people are interested in recruiting Mopars fans worldwide than enjoying the cars here were they belong. And as for the attitude some of you are labeling me with, this is MY opinion on the subject, don't get your panties is a wad, I'm discussing a subject that alot of people get pissed off about over here. And I know there is a huge American car scene overseas, that's why I'm asking this.  :slap: You still have NO hertiage with American cars. You've just seen them on tv or in a mag and decided you had to have one. As rare as it is to stumble across a Mopar here, I can't imagine how rare it use to be overseas.

As far as th em coming back, like Fender Guitars did, I never see an ad for a car from overseas. I see plenty of cars available to ship to but none available to ship from.
1969 Charger 440

skip68

I know,   I know.    :pity:    First the Indians were on our land, and now our cars are being shipped out.   :rotz:   This whole "this is ours and you can't have it" way of thinking is messed up.    :slap:    So I guess Troy needs to have a block set up to keep this site "pure" and free of foreigners.   :smilielol:   If they can't have our cars, they have no reason to be here then and should not be here.   :shruggy:    Is that the way it should be ?    :slap:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!