News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone ever remove the front floor

Started by riggs626, July 29, 2009, 10:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riggs626

Im removing the front floor of my 68 charger I have a hole one piece from amd and was wanting to know any pointers if at all possible

Mike DC

Most of the general bodywork principles apply.   

Take the old floor out in sections rather than trying to do it all at once.  First hack out the big expanses of sheetmetal on the old floor.  Then go back and drill out the spotwelds on the smaller chunks of sheetmetal that remain at the mounting points. 

It's a VERY tedious job but it's vital to do it correctly.  Most of the man-hours of the job tend to be in getting the old metal out.  Be very careful to not damage the good metal on the car in the process.  It's tempting to get sloppy when you've got all the power tools running.

MIG welding is all about TOTALLY clean mating surfaces and good fits.  It's not something you can use to bridge gaps anywhere.  Drill holes in the new panel and "plug" them with the MIG welder when attaching the new floor.  Use thin 0.023 welding wire for a sheetmetal job like this.

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

richRTSE

Good question, as I'm about to do the same thing with my '70 Charger. With the whole flooor pan cut out, do you need to worry about the car sagging? Is any additional bracing required?

riggs626

Thats what I was wondering would it be best to brace and bolt in the transmission bracket (the cars only a rolling chassis)