News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To clone or not to clone....that is the question

Started by 68RRFlyer, July 26, 2009, 09:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

Hey guys,

I just got done laying down the vinyl top on my 68 Road Runner which gave me a few hours to ponder the 69 Charger's upcoming 4spd conversion.  Then it hit me....I'm not sure why...I'm not sure how...but it hit me.  How cool would it be to have a Daytona clone sitting in the driveway? :2thumbs:  Funny thing is, I actually dig the Superbirds over the Daytonas, but when in Rome?  So that being said, should I do it?  I know it's my car and do to it what I want, but I'd like to get other's opinions on their cloning decision. Why'd you do it?  How hard was it to do?  We all know it's expensive but from a hobby standpoint, is it a good conversion to attempt?  I've done many 68 Shelby GT500KR clones and do plenty of research before attempting projects like these.  What are your thoughts?  Plus, I figured with Troy right down the street form me and his new red Daytona, it'd be some good inspiration and up close reference.  Right Troy? :coolgleamA:

Cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

69bronzeT5

Sure, why not! Got any pictures of your '69? Beautiful Roadrunner by the way. :cheers: You do have to consider though, Daytona/Superbird clones can get expensive :Twocents:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Daytona R/T SE

I finally got my Daytona conversion done.  ::)

The car is currently in the paint shop. :2thumbs:

I'm glad I did it. :icon_smile_big:

I always wanted one. :scratchchin:

It was a HUGE amount of work. :flame:

It was a royal pain in the ass.  :brickwall:

I'll NEVER do another one.  :rant:

You've got to WANT it... :drool5:

BAD.

A383Wing

Yea..what he said above...been there, done that

hotrod98

What color is your 68 runner? I have a UU1 Frost blue 68 and a B5 Bright Blue 69.

As for my Daytona clone, it's black and I've been trying to find the time to finish it. 
It hasn't been easy making all of the parts fit and both look and function correctly. You definitely have to want a Daytona clone bad to go through with the build. You'll need the Charger donor car, the 70 Charger front end and then the patience to gather the parts.
We're gathering parts to build my wife a Superbird clone and as soon as it's finished, I'll let you know which one was the easier build. The most difficult things about building a bird are finding a 70 satellite or runner, finding the 70 coronet front end and having to convert the hood.

I'll have the wing braces and front support brackets for sale and we're going to be working on the wing washers very soon.

If you really want one...go for it.  :yesnod:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

roger440

Iive been thinking about this over the last few days. I keep getting thoughts about the 70 runner that i have ::)

The cost of buying all the parts, decent ones that is, once you start to add it it up is staggering. Never mind the time involved. I think it would be quite easy to spend $20,000 on parts to convert. I will say that i certainly wouldn't fit a fibreglass rear window plug, it would have to be steel, which doesn't help!

Looking at superbird values, buying one is probably out of my reach, but if i build a clone along with the resto and cost of parts, im not sure it makes all that much sense given its likely value on completion

Ok, i know how much its worth shouldn,t be the driving force in the decision, but it does make me wonder if i shouldn't sell my kidney or something and buy a real one.

Does anyone have a view on what a properly executed superbird clone would sell for. Properly restored too, overspray underneath, proper detailing etc?

1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

billssuperbird

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68RRFlyer on July 26, 2009, 09:24:02 PM
Hey guys,

Plus, I figured with Troy right down the street form me and his new red Daytona, it'd be some good inspiration and up close reference.  Right Troy? :coolgleamA:

Cheers  :cheers:

I'd do it............. But, you'll have to come over to the house, have a beer and realize.............. the car's orange............  :nana:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hotrod98

Just put all of your origianl parts in the attic or basement. That way you can always convert the car back if you get tired of the bird. I'll bet you never convert it back. All of the original parts for my 69 RT/SE are  in my basement safe and sound. I'll probably never convert the Daytona clone back. I probably will paint it red though. I'm already tired of it being black and I haven't even finished it yet.

I've been trying to buy a 70 limelight runner from a guy locally for the last two years. The car is solid and would make my superbird build a lot easier. I may have to start offering more cash. Then I can sell my 70 Satellite to offset the additional cost.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteThat way you can always convert the car back

after doing all that work,i just can't see converting it back .

:2thumbs: yes! if you really want a wing car . then build one . I've never regretted it .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 27, 2009, 03:52:11 PM
QuoteThat way you can always convert the car back

after doing all that work,i just can't see converting it back .

:2thumbs: yes! if you really want a wing car . then build one . I've never regretted it .
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RTDaddy

I built one, 3 years in the building.  Check Moparstuart's pics from the Winged Warriors meet, mine is the red Daytona.  Always wanted one, had a FEW original parts, found a 69 R/T in a boneyard and went for it.  Like others before have said though, you have to want it, because there will be several days/nights you will walk out of the shop in frustration.  Good luck.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

hotrod98

Does your red car have a black wing or a white wing?

I'm seriously thinking about sanding my clone back down...yes again... and changing the color to red like I originally planned. The car was originally a triple black car, but the black isn't doing anything for me. I love the red Daytonas. At one point in my life, every vehicle that I owned was red.

A few days ago I had my clone outside in the sun (it was over 100 degrees in the shade) and I accidentally leaned on it and burned the crap out of my arm. If it were red it may have burned me but maybe it would have been first degree burns instead of second degree burns.  :flame:

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

I'm seriously thinking about sanding my clone back down...yes again...

:faint: :rant: :spank:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: RTDaddy on July 27, 2009, 08:13:46 PM
because there will be several days/nights you will walk out of the shop in frustration.  Good luck.

Not to mention the nights where the Ol' lady gets worried, comes out to the shop well past midnight, finds you curled up under the car in the fetal position sobbing uncontrollably, while mumbling some strange chant over and over again in a language not of this Earth...

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on July 27, 2009, 11:24:05 PM
because there will be several days/nights you will walk out of the shop in frustration.  Good luck.

Not to mention the nights where the Ol' lady gets worried, comes out to the shop well past midnight, finds you curled up under the car in the fetal position sobbing uncontrollably, while mumbling some strange chant over and over again in a language not of this Earth...

Personal experience??  :D

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on July 27, 2009, 11:24:05 PM

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Magnumcharger

Don't do it man.
Then you'll be just another jerk like all the other Daytona guys!!!

(I wish I was a Daytona jerk..... :D)
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

moparstuart

Quote from: Magnumcharger on July 28, 2009, 10:30:28 AM
Don't do it man.
Then you'll be just another jerk like all the other Daytona guys!!!

(I wish I was a Daytona jerk..... :D)
get the term right it's daytona bastard

BigBlockSam

moparstuart

hotrod98

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Magnumcharger

"Daytona Bastards".....has a real nice sound to it.
Funny, I used to call Hemi guys "Hemi Assholes", for their jerk-wad "holier-than-thou" attitudes.

So, what are you if you have a Hemi Daytona?
The only Hemi Daytona owner I've ever met was real nice guy.

I guess the combined effect cancels each other out? :scratchchin:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

hemi68charger

Quote from: Magnumcharger on July 28, 2009, 02:11:55 PM
"Daytona Bastards".....has a real nice sound to it.
Funny, I used to call Hemi guys "Hemi Assholes", for their jerk-wad "holier-than-thou" attitudes.

So, what are you if you have a Hemi Daytona?
The only Hemi Daytona owner I've ever met was real nice guy.

I guess the combined effect cancels each other out? :scratchchin:

So, since I gave up a hemi-car for a Daytona, am I a reborn Daytona Bastard now and no longer a "Hemi A-Hole"?   :angel:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection