News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine overheat

Started by mikes4692003, May 04, 2009, 06:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes4692003

:shruggy: is it possible for the engine temp gauge to be bad my 383 starts up good runs good thegauge says its 230 degree but the motor dont seem to be ive change the thermastate the waterpump seems to be good  ijust dont know? changed sender unit

Ghoste

It is most certainly possible for the guage or the sender to be bad.  If you have access to one of those laser temperature guns get one and shoot the block in a variety of spots to see what it's actually running.

Chryco Psycho

do you have the vacuum advance connected to manifold vacuum , that always causes them to run hot

mikes4692003

where should it be connected to /how do you burp one

ODZKing

I have a question.  Does anyone know of an aftermarket temp gauge that will work off the original sender and still let you use the original gauge?

Ghoste

l8rg8r

when you replace the thermostat drill a 1/8 inch hole in it that helps with burping . 230 is hot does it reach this temp at idle in the drive way or driving 55 down the highway what does the temp do when your idling in gear in traffic

Mick70RR

My temperature gauge said the engine was running at the correct temperature but the stud on the sender unit was loose. So I decided to change it as a matter of course and for a while the temperature was reading the same. Over a period of time the temperature dropped lower and lower so I recently changed the sender unit for a new one again. Now the temperature gauge says the engine is too hot but the engine engine doesn't feel like it's too hot. I don't know who is making these sender units but I don't trust them any more.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads