News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stalls when put in gear cold

Started by B5charger, July 26, 2009, 11:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5charger

I'm having trouble with my stock 318.  Whenever I want to take it out, I have to wait the 5-7 mins or so for the engine to get up to normal running temp or it will stall when I put it into gear.  It's more annoying than anything, since it runs fine after that.  Any ideas as to what I can do??? 

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

devilgear

Every old V8 I have ever had is like that...

B5charger

I assume the choke is working.  When cold, the choke plate closes and gradually opens as the engine warms up, but if I try to put it in gear when not Fully HOT, it'll stall out.  If I get a little antsy and put it in gear when it's almost hot enough it will idle in gear for a while but once I give it gas to go it will stall.  Once it's hot everything is fine.   :shruggy:

Al

Might be a vacuum leak at the carburetor base. Have you checked the carb to intake manifold bolts?
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

B5charger

How do I check for vacuum leaks there??

TylerCharger69

Just to add my  :Twocents:,  It's always good practice to let the car warm up for a little while before driving anyway.  Usually when you tap the gas and the choke disengages on its own, it's warmed up enough to drive.  I know lots of people who start their vehicles, and 5 to 10 seconds later....drive off.  In my honest opinion, it's best to let the car warm up some.....

B5charger

TylerCharger69,
   I agree with you 100%, and that's what I do with my daily driver (2005 Ram)and any other vehicle I drive.  I believe that's simply good practice; but when I say I need to warm up my charger, I'm talking 5-7 mins minimum.  Until the temp gauge is at half way.  I usually start it and walk away because it takes quite a while to warm up when it's not under any load.

Purple440

Quote from: B5charger on July 26, 2009, 02:44:59 PM
How do I check for vacuum leaks there??

You can use carb cleaner and spray it around the carb base or intake base while it's idling.  If the RPM's drop up at some point, you've got a leak.  I could almost kill my engine when I used this technique to find my numerous vacuum leaks.

Some ppl like to use propane rather than spraying that stuff on the engine.