News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

mopar electronic ignition question

Started by Foreman72, July 22, 2009, 06:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

i'll be running a built 318 that hits around 400hp and will top out at a touch over 6000rpm

am i limiting myself by running the mopar elec ignition? would an aftermarket ignition be better overall?

the other thing i was thinking of getting the chrome box over the orange one since its rated for higher RPMs...

your thoughts DC.com... :2thumbs:

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Ghoste

I like the MP one but I did upgrade the ecu with an MSD.  There are a number of multistrike boxes on the market and some good deals on digital ones but that is what I have.

Foreman72

hm...i was hoping for a stock look...
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

Ghoste

In that case just go with the MP one and hide the ecu.  (you can hide an MSD too though  :icon_smile_wink:)

histoy

You can use a Pertronix unit for a stock look.

Foreman72

Quote from: Ghoste on July 22, 2009, 06:51:49 PM
In that case just go with the MP one and hide the ecu.  (you can hide an MSD too though  :icon_smile_wink:)

well i was kinda going for this

cept the orange box would be the chrome one

Quote from: histoy on July 22, 2009, 07:01:39 PM
You can use a Pertronix unit for a stock look.

which one
Eric "Foreman"

Hot_Rodder

Chrome, it's what I'm going to running until I can get everything else collected to build my 505..... Then it will be full MSD with a 6AL2 box..... To keep mine looking a little more factory appearing, I've got a set of MSD Street Fire wires on it, they are black, and I'll be running Autolite plugs. I will be replacing the points type dist that's sitting in it now with a new Vacuum Advance electronic distributor (will all the adjustability of that dist too....). As I said, go with the chrome since you seem to be wanting to go with a direct replacement.

histoy

I've used the Pertronix Ignitor (basic unit) in a '64 Corvette and '68 Charger and had good results.  Pertronix now has upgraded units which are suppose to be an improvement over their basic Ignitor.

Buying a MP ignition system isn't a guarantee of trouble free performance.  I've had 2 orange boxes fail and the pick up unit in the distributor fail on my cars.

Hot_Rodder

From what I've heard, Mopar has shipped their production of the orange ECU's overseas and thus quality has seems to have dropped ever since. The chrome ECU, from what I've been told, is a different story. Other than this, don't know what to tell ya. I managed to get the conversion kit for my '69 a little while back, and it came with the orange ECU, luckily it was just before the change in location for assembly plants..... I never had any trouble out of it...

ODZKing

The Pertronix didn't work properly on my 67.  It made the factory tach read double.  When I called the company they said "we've seen that before.  You need to go to Radio Shack and buy ..." and before he went any further I told him I was sending it back.
I went with the Mopar Performance setup and not a bit of problems. Lots of folks in our club have it.  Some put the ECU under the battery tray, some even ran wires and put it under the dash so they could unplug it when the car was stored.
I put mine under the horns on the radiator support. Went with the electronic but original looking VR and viola, works great.

Hot_Rodder

Nice looking engine bay there ODZKing, I'm not sure how many of you all on the site watch that tv series that comes on speed that's called wrecked, but while watching one of the episodes last night, I happened to notice a red colored first gen Charger..... Front clip was gone, but the rest of it looked to be there, they had the front end suspended in air hanging on some kind of a hoist.... Wondering if anyone else might have noticed that? Anyway, not trying to get off track here.... As I said, I'd run the chrome box in the same place as you original, and go from there. I don't think you'll have any complaints.

Foreman72

sweet...thanks guys...i was gonna run the regular vac advance dist the comes in the kit...any complaints? :shruggy:
Eric "Foreman"

ODZKing

Thanks Hot Rodder.  Other than the Electronic Igniition the overflow tank is the only thing not original under there.
That, believe it or not is from a Mitzubishi Mirage. Fit perfectly in there are rarely gets noticed.
On the other note ... no, I didn't see that show.  Wonder if it's on again?  :scratchchin:   I'll have to look. :scope:

Hot_Rodder

Quote from: Foreman72 on July 24, 2009, 08:47:03 AM
sweet...thanks guys...i was gonna run the regular vac advance dist the comes in the kit...any complaints? :shruggy:
I don't have any complaints about either one. In fact, as I said above, the Mopar Performance vacuum advance distributor is adjustable. There are other distributors that aren't adjustable, ect. Having the adjustability of the dist. means you can pretty much have it set up specifically for your application... On another note, I find it to be a little cheaper to just get the dist, and then chrome box individually rather than the kit because you don't get the wiring harness you need to splice into your existing harness, and the new ballast resistor.... So, you save a few bucks... It's not a whole lot, but that little bit helps when it comes to a gas pump, lol.