News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I be worried? spark plug pic

Started by dkn1997, July 23, 2009, 06:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

just changed plugs.  old ones were in there for a long time, wires were 8 years old and some were a bit cooked by my old crusty headers.....

#7 has me worried a bit.  lots of built up brown crud on it.... what do you guys think?  Car was running ok and of course runs much better now. 
RECHRGED

maxwellwedge

As long as the electrode wasn't knocked off of it I think they look pretty normal for their age. Keep an eye on the goofy one and have another look after a week or two of driving.

68X426

They don't seem to be too bad from where I sit, then again I'm 3000 miles away.  :wave:

Were the plugs also 8 years old (and untouched that whole time)? Then they are a testament to just how much neglect some equipment can endure.

It's like if you walked in the same pair of shoes everyday for 8 years. Impressive endurance but they just have to wear out. Your ride will thank you when new plugs get in there.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

dkn1997

plugs are @2 years old.  I've kept up with cap rotor, filters, etc.... but the old wires looked ok....so I never changed them.  in reality, they only had about 5000 miles on them. 
RECHRGED

c00nhunterjoe

its a blurry pic but could be as simple as valve seals leaking a little bit

flyinlow

Deposits from combusted oil . Tends to be more on rearward cylinders. If the engine make good power and is not smoking alot, don't worry about it.

I have driven 383's and 440's that would build up brown deposits after a few thousand miles with no problems.

Floored it regularly to minimaize deposits.   :lol:

68 RT

How many miles? Looks like plugs that don't see alot of highway use, constant higher rpms. I see no problems with them.

dkn1997

Quote from: 68 RT on July 24, 2009, 02:08:12 PM
How many miles? Looks like plugs that don't see alot of highway use, constant higher rpms. I see no problems with them.

correct...with 3.91's we don't get on the highway much...and as I get older, I drive slower.  when I used to beat the daylights out of it, i'd change the plugs and they would look mint   :smilielol:

engine makes very good power and does not smoke or eat much oil at all.  due to low mileage, I don't change the oil more than once/year.  I put maybe a 1/2 quart in it between changes.
RECHRGED