News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bunch of questions.... heads, headers, power steering and bolts

Started by Khyron, July 20, 2009, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

O.k.. while I was in PA I bought a new set of Edelbrock RPM Performers. SO now I have a few questions. I figured, while I had the whole top end of the motor apart. I would do some odds and ends. So here goes.

My motor is a 440 .030 with a stock stroke. I have a voodoo 509 lift cam. can I....

1. use stock rockers and pushrods?
2. do I have to buy new rollers and pushrods?

My power steering gearbox was leaking. I took it out (what a PITA) to see where. It is leaking from the small seal around the protruding shaft that the steering wheel connects too. because it's a little seal. i refuse to pay $200 for a whole new gearbox.
sooo....

1. can I buy a rebuild kit and where?
2. do I need a specialty took to remove the top?
3. suck it up and buy a new box for a unneeded amount I don't want to spend

Bolts. I was going to use the old bolts but of course, there is not enough room to screw them into the head. Do I get APR or edelbrock? studs or bolts, she will be getting a small shot of giggle juice when everything is done.

I removed my headers only to find that they are rusted through and now have pin sized holes (So that's what the noise was) What headers will work with the eddies that will not require me to bash the hell out of them? will headmens work? I don't have the extra money for TTI so someone out there must be using something besides them with good clearance and results

Part numbers and links would be helpful

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

BrianShaughnessy

1. stock rockers / pushrods work fine w/ a MP 509.   Don't see what would be different about a voodoo.   That's what I did for awhile...   but never ever ever ever ever buy any CAT brand anything.   If you had that old iron junk cut so much, one would presume you had custom length pushrods.   I do have a slightly used set or 2 of MP stock length pushrods someplace in the pile

2.  Beats me,  I bought the firm feel box.

3.  Buy arps'.   Edelbrocks are just reboxed arps + 50% $.    They 'usually' stock them at the mancini tent along with the repackaged felpro 1009 MP headgaskets.

4.  hookers are the greatest headers evah!   :smilielol:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Khyron

explain CAT brand please? ;) even hough the iron was cut, we made up for some of it with shims :blah:

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Khyron on July 20, 2009, 10:34:36 PM
explain CAT brand please? ;) even hough the iron was cut, we made up for some of it with shims :blah:

CAT = crappy chinese ebay rockers that seize on the shafts and cause bent valves and much pain and suffering.

Shims?  Ok...  nevermind.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Khyron

O.k. first problem solved, NAPA actually has the power steering gearbox rebuild kit for $60 with everything. I have it ordered.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

O.k. for future help for everyone... search engine Keywords Power steering gear box seals

NAPA Part numbers:

Power Steering Gear Box Major Seal Kit

Item#: NPS7115
Price: $59.49
Attributes:
Product Features:Replacement Gear Box Seals Ensure Factory Fit & Function
Additional Contents:(15) O-Rings
(3) Lathe Cuts
(2) MC Seals
Dust Seal
Lip Seal
(2) Teflon Rings
Washer
Tag & Hex Nut

P/S Gear Pitman Shaft Complete Seal Kit

Item#: NPS7316
Price: $14.99
tax and shipping not included

P/S Gear Pitman Shaft Lower Seal Kit

Item#: NPS7211
Price: $14.99

P/S Worm Shaft Seal

Item#: NOS6141
Price: $7.49  

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

Update, The Charger is done and back together, no problems. I bought the ARP bolts and a set of headman headers.

The Headmans cleared all angled spark plugs with no modification and no problem, Had to "Create" some room for the power steering gear box and drivers side tortion bar however.

The ball flange on the headers sucked, so I cut it off and cut the flange off my exhaust pipe and band clamped it. sounds great.

Time for some adjustable rockers though, the original seem to be making a little too much noise for my taste.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.