News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm looking for pic's of block mounting ears....

Started by Hot_Rodder, July 22, 2009, 11:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Rodder

I'm hoping that I can get some pic's of the block motor mounting ears of 440's. I'm doing this b/c I have a little bit of a younger block, and have new motor mount brackets. The brackets are correct for my cars application, but on the left bracket has the tube for a good alignment.... Only problem is, my block appears to have only three tabs, the mount itself looks to use 4 instead of 3.... So, any comments? On my 400 that I have sitting on the porch, it looks to have three tabs (ears) on each side, and the mounting brackets reflect this....

terrible one

Hey man,

No worries, it's all good. There are only supposed to be three "tabs" on the drivers side. The lower bolt goes through the "tab" on the oil pump side and through the "tube" in the bracket, and there is no tab on the other side; you're using the end of the motor mount bracket.

Hot_Rodder

Hmmm.... So, being only 3 tabs, I'm not imaging things, maybe I do still have some sanity left then.... So, on the lower bolt, the one that goes through the tube on the drivers side, the oil dip stick tube is secured using the end of that bolt? Been a little while since I saw my '69, didn't even take the time to look at the motor that I pulled out of my current Charger, wasn't original anyways... And the 400 that I have was out of a truck and had an aftermarket dipstick with it that wasn't even secured.... So, here's what your hand drawn picture looks like:
You might have to use your imagination here....

Bolt head            metal motor mount with tube        oil dip stick mount   / nut    
       I----------------------------------------------------------------l{}

I tried to do my own little drawing, I don't think it works quite as well though.... lol.

Well, I just, out of boredum, drew up my own little graphic of the mount, and what I'm assuming you're describing, let's see if I can get it to load directly....

Well, I tried to load it to the site, wouldn't load, it's over 800 bites, the pic is only 1.08 mb.... So now I get to host it, and provide a link...
Or I could try this...

Woohoo, it worked, now, obviously this isn't to scale, but I hope it gives the idea of what I'm thinking you've said, if so, let me know if it's right or not....

carolina charger

The top bolt was replaced by 2 short ones. On the back bolt I came from inside the mount out, torqued to specs, slipped the dipstick mount over the bolt and added a 2nd nut.

Hot_Rodder

Carolina Charger, thanks for the pic. Just as soon as I get the motor off the pos stand that it's on now, I'll get the mounts bolted up, gonna try and get some grade 8 hardware, and get it all buttoned up. Only question that I can think of right now is, should I keep with the factory style double bolts on top with single on the bottom, or go with a single on top, and single on bottom? I'm thinking double on top, and single on the bottom in case I have to unbolt it with the power steering pump on, though, I have no reason to think that I would need to. Heck, I'm gonna be bolting a set of locking motor mounts to these so...

carolina charger

Yes, there need to be 2 bolts on top. Theres a real possibilty of breaking off one of the mounting tabs if you use one bolt on top. Use grade 8 bolts, fine thread.

Hot_Rodder

Hot_Rodder

I'm about to go ahead and bolt my mount brackets with the mounts to the motor, I'm wondering if there's a specific way for these bolts to go on? I'm fairly sure that the driver side bolt that the dip stick tube bolts to, goes from front to back. But what about the rest of them? Do all the bolts bolt from outside in with the nuts being toward the inside of the brackets? Or do they all face a certain way? I thought I had read somewhere which way they face, but have since forgotten.... Wish I could remember where I read this at.... And what it said specifically. ::)