News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what alternator do u guys run?

Started by 68chargerboy, July 16, 2009, 09:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

hi i have a electric fuel pump and a 16'' electric fan and my stock alternator is just not cutting it with both of them running. actually i can not drive very far without worrying about my battery dieing.  so what alternator do you guys suggest i run? how many amps?  i also plan on a electric water pump at some time in the future as well. thanks

Zach

FLG

I have the big 100 amp in my charger (came with it) and it supplies both my electric fans just fine. Not charging great at idle, but charging none the less....mopars are notorious for not charging at idle.

Anyways, you dont want to go with a bigger alt unless you plan to run some new wiring..or if you have already done so then your good. Putting a bigger alternator might solve your issues with charging...but now your putting more amperage on those 30 year old wires that can barely keep up with the stock stuff.

68chargerboy

so i would have to rewire the ENTIRE car for an alternator upgrade?  :o

Nacho-RT74

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33574.0.html

Mine is actually 60 amps late 70s Mopar Unit. PRETTY MUCH ENOUGH for my stock car with some relays upgrades, but 80 amps will be better
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

A common move is the '70 and up alt swap, I believe because those are internally regulated. No, you don't have to rewire. It's not as if you're getting more amperage to each componant with a high-amp alt. You're just able to run more stuff or stuff that requires more juice.

FLG

Quote from: bull on July 24, 2009, 05:01:24 AM
A common move is the '70 and up alt swap, I believe because those are internally regulated. No, you don't have to rewire. It's not as if you're getting more amperage to each componant with a high-amp alt. You're just able to run more stuff or stuff that requires more juice.

Thats my point bull, the upgraded alt does not call for new wiring but if your upgrading the alt because of new electronics and higher loads then you should upgrade the charging system wiring as well. Also my 73 alt is not internally regulated nor is the 74...dont know when the change over happend.

resq302

To my knowledge, the 70 and up alternators (known as square back alternators) are externally regulated.  The change was to the electronic voltage regualtor on the firewall and a dual field.  69 and earlier (known as round backs) used a point style voltage regulator and a single field.  The double field is easily modified for a single field as all you need to do is ground the one field to the casing of the alternator (or remove the insulator washer and reassemble)

As for what I am running, it is a factory system with electronic guts under the stock appearing voltage regulator cover.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

nascarxx29

If you wanted the 70 charging system. In a 1 field alt car .You change to a 2 field alt get 70 regulator and plug.And run the additional wires by the diagram .Get a power master 1 wire .Or run a foriegn alt all possible choice are available  .Just check up on the amp gauge.Firewall connections .And existing wiring that it can carry the load.I upgraded a 67 barracuda we have to a 70 system .Same amp gauge and factory wiring
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

bull

Quote from: FLG on July 24, 2009, 07:15:09 AM

Thats my point bull, the upgraded alt does not call for new wiring but if your upgrading the alt because of new electronics and higher loads then you should upgrade the charging system wiring as well. Also my 73 alt is not internally regulated nor is the 74...dont know when the change over happend.

Are you saying you shouldn't run old wiring or that you shouldn't run the factory-size wiring (new or not) because it's too small?

FLG

Quote from: bull on July 24, 2009, 11:06:54 AM
Quote from: FLG on July 24, 2009, 07:15:09 AM

Are you saying you shouldn't run old wiring or that you shouldn't run the factory-size wiring (new or not) because it's too small?

Im saying you shouldnt run old wiring because after 30 years alot of times its shot. And that if your going to be adding components such as electric fans, radio, amp..ect you should really run some larger wiring or do the modification nacho recommended and run some extra wiring in the system to relieve some of the stress.

bull

Yea, can't argue that. I reccommend replacing 30 to 40-year-old wiring no matter what alt you use but esp. when doing electrical modifications.

One other thing though, wouldn't an electric fan typically run right off a dedicated battery circuit anyway since it sometimes needs to run when the engine is not?

TylerCharger69

Since the question was asked.....I use a GM alternator to do away with external regulators.  (I'm stepping back so not to get slapped).  Of course some bracketry modifications were necessary.  It's a 65 AMP piece

68 RT

First you need to know how many amps your acc. draw. What is your alt now (amps)?

ChgrSteve67

tell the parts store you have a 72 challenger with a 440 in it.

Get a alt, electronic voltage regulator and the plug for the regulator.
Here is the wiring changes for the regulator
http://www.mymopar.com/charging.htm

On this fourm some where are several threads on the following wiring harness modification.

The main changes are to run a new 12 gauge wire from the back of the alt to the starter relay where the battery is connected so the alt does not charger the battery through the dash harness.  Take the two wires that feed power to the dash harness through the firewall connector and run a bypass so they do not go through the connector.

The last item I did was disconnect the amp gauge and connect the two wires together and replace it with a voltage gauge.
I did not want my Charger to go up in smoke because of the origional amp gauge.

I run two computers, a set of 2500 cfm electric fans and a electric fuel pump.
also AC, stereo and a GPS.

Steve

c00nhunterjoe

the only wire you need to change is the main feed off the back of the alternator all the way through the firewall. it is way underrated for the high amp alt's. just look at the physical size of it. that is the only problem you will have upgrading. it is not neccessary to re-wire the whole car due to an alternator upgrade.

myk

I have a 90 amp alternator that's supposed to go into an '89 Dodge van.  That's probably one of the best 'mods I've ever even thought of, my battery has never been happier and the performance of my electrical system is better than ever...

Chatt69chgr

Hey ChgrSteve67----did you put a voltage gauge back in the hole that the amp gauge was in?  If so, did it match the stock gauges and what p/n voltage gauge was it?

ChgrSteve67

I don't think what I did will work for you unless you give Dakota Digital a call.

I know I saw a thread were someone used autometer gauges to replace the 68-70 gauges and it looked great.
Hopefully they can chime in.

Steve