News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My restoration project (stolen for 22 years)

Started by no40jm, July 21, 2009, 07:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneStar Mopar

It is a shame that it was stolen, but pretty exciting that you got it back. Good luck with the rest of the restoration.

69*F5*SE

Great story man.  Glad you got it back.  Things are looking fantastic.  :2thumbs:  I live just north of Detroit in Roseville, one city over from Eastpointe.  What part of Michigan are you in, if you don't mind me asking?  

Blown70

Quote from: no40jm on July 21, 2009, 10:31:33 AM
no the VIN tag was missing. I had a VIN tag made for $300.

Ok, I mis read, I did not know you could have the dash ones remade.  Good to know.

no40jm

Here's the new one.
"If you chop your own fire wood it will warm you twice."
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right." HF

moparstuart

Quote from: no40jm on July 21, 2009, 12:06:57 PM
Here's the new one.
wow i didnt know anyone was remaking them either , cinda scary
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Old Moparz

Quote from: no40jm on July 21, 2009, 10:31:33 AM
no the VIN tag was missing. I had a VIN tag made for $300.

Quote from: moparstuart on July 21, 2009, 02:16:32 PM
Quote from: no40jm on July 21, 2009, 12:06:57 PM
Here's the new one.
wow i didnt know anyone was remaking them either , cinda scary

Not to open a can of worms, or derail a thread, or accuse someone of anything, but I wouldn't think a reproduction dash VIN tag is legal under any circumstances. And as much as I enjoy a story that has a happy ending, what's stopping someone from doing a very similar thing to a car that was illegal?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

b5blue

I think having Mom's Title, documentation of the theft, the officer who recovered the Chargers report and testimony, Photos of him in front of it as a toddler, Aunt and Uncle's previous ownership being verifiable, all add up to nullify your concern. 

tan top

wow what a great story & a happy ending  :yesnod:   love reading stuff like this ,  :coolgleamA:   keep the pictures coming dude ! thanks for sharing this  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Tilar

Man that's pretty cool. I can understand the force that pushed you to decide to finish the car. My grandfather died in 1991. I was going through chemotheropy at that time and couldn't travel from Texas to Ohio for the funeral. Grandpa was my best friend growing up and I would have done anything for him.  :'(   It's good to see the progress you're doing on that car.  :2thumbs: Keep us updated!
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

TA70455

Hey thats a great story with great progress. I think you will make your grandpa proud!

Old Moparz

Quote from: b5blue on July 21, 2009, 04:18:00 PM
I think having Mom's Title, documentation of the theft, the officer who recovered the Chargers report and testimony, Photos of him in front of it as a toddler, Aunt and Uncle's previous ownership being verifiable, all add up to nullify your concern. 

Nothing will nullify my concern, it's just a matter of what is legal or not. There is no way (that I'm aware of) that any DMV will allow a reproduction of a factory style VIN.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

jb666

69bronzeT5

Wow, cool story. Glad you guys got it back! :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hemi-hampton

Brock Samson

:2thumbs:  :popcrn: very well done! BRAVO!  :patriot: looks to me like your winning your bet.
I think i feel a tear.  :shruggy:

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Neal_J

The70RT

Wow........ cool story. Keep up the good work  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bearbqd

Awesome read, I'm glad you got it back and great work. As far as the others concerns, if the VIN is made, and you have it installed, The DMV will be non the wiser about it. You just present the title and bill of sale if applicable for it to get changed over to your name. I'm sure you know all this and have probably already done it. I'm just voicing it for the others concerned.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

mopar73

no40jm

Thanks everyone for all your great comments!!!!!! The little boy in the picture is my cousin. I was born about 9 years after the picture was taken. As far as the vin thing goes, yes its legal in my state to have one made. 
"If you chop your own fire wood it will warm you twice."
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right." HF

The70RT

Quote from: no40jm on July 23, 2009, 08:53:18 AM
Thanks everyone for all your great comments!!!!!! The little boy in the picture is my cousin. I was born about 9 years after the picture was taken. As far as the vin thing goes, yes its legal in my state to have one made. 

That's good. There is some on here that wouldn't let that die. They still may not....... ::) ::)
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

C_stripes

Awesome story. I have to ask though. The guy that paid $2000 for it and then lost it to you guys, do you know if he was able to get his money back?
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

THE COLONEL

Wow, that is just an unbelieveable story!!!  That is so good to hear that your family got teh car back after all this time, and that you will take it to where your grandpa ashes are.  I am just beside myself on this story.  Congrats on teh car, and I'm sure we all can not wait until it is done!! :cheers:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"