News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this guy smoking crack, or is this worth the price??

Started by jb666, July 20, 2009, 05:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry

no , i have  rust free real 69's. 100% real factory sheet metal not 99% real taiwan cars that ............................besides if the owner had any since he would have spray painted 01 on the doors and a flag on the roof then he would have already sold the car. don't yah think? :smilielol: :popcrn:

jb666

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 20, 2009, 11:34:01 PM
I think that car is for sale on every craigslist city available.   :Twocents:

I think you're right... I've seen it around.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mikepmcs

Quote from: jerry on July 21, 2009, 09:40:42 PM
no , i have  rust free real 69's. 100% real factory sheet metal not 99% real taiwan cars that ............................besides if the owner had any since he would have spray painted 01 on the doors and a flag on the roof then he would have already sold the car. don't yah think? :smilielol: :popcrn:

Wow, that's a pretty bold statement considering quite a few of us have used AMD panels.   I could take the context of this statement and make the assumption, that, it is directed solely at one particular individual who has spent quite a bit of sweat and tears and $$ bringing his car back from the abyss.  I, as well as, everyone following that thread happen to know that he used some serious AMD metal so what you are saying is that his car is not a 1969 Dodge Charger but now just a replica of a 69 Charger made in Taiwan.... come on.  I normally steer from the negative and it really takes a bunch to get me going but that statement above is just idiotic, Congratulations Jerry, you got a rise out of me.  Sorry guys, anyone from now on that does not use 100% factory sheet metal, made in the USA, no longer has an American made Charger, Jerry said.  :P
I've heard/read it all now. :cheers:

Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

skip68

IMO, the factory sheet metal sucks.   That's why most of these cars have rust and there is a need for new metal.   :rofl: :smilielol:   My car is 100% original metal too so I guess I'm the coolest in the trailer park.   :rofl: :rofl:  NOW, bow before me as I am a sheet metal GOD.....   :yesnod:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

But since a lot of the sheet metal in China came from the great American scrapyard sell off of recent years wouldn't it technically still be American metal just recycled and reshaped offshore?   :eek2:

skip68

If I find out that my carpet was made in some other country I'm going to be pissed.   :brickwall:   This car is not worth having anymore.    :smilielol: :nana:

Ghoste

jb666

Quote from: Ghoste on July 22, 2009, 09:57:42 PM
Our cars are all downtown Toronto.  :lol:

Not mine, I got the ghetto version.. Mine's straight outa Compton.

SeattleCharger

uhh, I'm new here, I thought they were made in Detroit?   

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Ghoste

So did we but apparently the country of origin for your reproduction sheet metal can change all that.  Add in all those other foreign sourced replacement items and it isn't long until you have a cultural melting pot on wheels.  :lol:

SeattleCharger

I wonder where the steel used in detroit in 1968 came from?   Don't we import a lot of steel today?  like from China or something?      seriously, I really don't know what I am talking about  :lol:

Shakey

For a product to be considered "American Made", 60% of the product's cost must be US content and final assembly must take place in the United States.

Buy America Act 1936

1969chargerrtse

We all know I love my Charger but I say it the way it is ( or I think it is  :icon_smile_big:). I found the sheet metal on my Charger to be a weaker or thinner grade than I've seen on the GM and Ford cars of the same era. Add much less panel and door undercoatings and I see why the Mopars seem to rust sooner and are so rare. I can take a needle nose pliers and just bend and twist the metal my car is made of ( I did it while drilling holes to access the PW motor bolts ). It may be the same grade but I do think the sheetmetal is of a thinner gauge? That's my findings anyway. But there ain't nothing better than these American Detroit classics.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 23, 2009, 03:16:13 PM
We all knowI love my Charger but I say it the way it is. I found the sheet metal on my Charger to be a weaker or thinner grade than I've seen on the GM cars of the same era. Add much less panel and door undercoatings and I see why the Mopars seem to rust sooner and are so rare. I can take a needle nose pliers and just bend and twist the metal my car is made of. It may be the same grade but I do think the sheetmetal is of a thinner gauge?  That's my findings anyway. But there ain't nothing better than these American Detroit classics.
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: moparstuart on July 23, 2009, 04:06:59 PM
We all knowI love my Charger but I say it the way it is. I found the sheet metal on my Charger to be a weaker or thinner grade than I've seen on the GM cars of the same era. Add much less panel and door undercoatings and I see why the Mopars seem to rust sooner and are so rare. I can take a needle nose pliers and just bend and twist the metal my car is made of. It may be the same grade but I do think the sheetmetal is of a thinner gauge?  That's my findings anyway. But there ain't nothing better than these American Detroit classics.
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah:
Gee let me guess, you disagree?  I knew that would go over well.  :hah: I was leaning on my fender one day and it popped in  :o I'm happy to say there was no crease marks but I was surprised how easy it popped inward.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

jb666

Well, I can tell you this... Nowadays you're lucky to find ANYTHING "made in the USA". There are more Toyota's being built in the USA than GM's for God's sake  :eek2: Look at the Toyota plant in Texas, WOW!!  :o

I don't care where my panels came from. Yugoslavia, India, China or The Moon, the car's 100% solid and back to it's factory condition. So the metal(and tooling?) came from Taiwan. Big deal, where do you think they buy the metal that gets recycled and turned into these panels? Here..   So like everything else "American made",  AMD panels might come from outside the US, but my car's been assembled, built, and completed in the US. Good enough for me!! Jerry should spend more time wondering why he's got no friends.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: jb666 on July 23, 2009, 05:42:42 PM
Well, I can tell you this... Nowadays you're lucky to find ANYTHING "made in the USA". There are more Toyota's being built in the USA than GM's for God's sake  :eek2: Look at the Toyota plant in Texas, WOW!!  :o

I don't care where my panels came from. Yugoslavia, India, China or The Moon, the car's 100% solid and back to it's factory condition. So the metal(and tooling?) came from Taiwan. Big deal, where do you think they buy the metal that gets recycled and turned into these panels? Here..   So like everything else "American made",  AMD panels might come from outside the US, but my car's been assembled, built, and completed in the US. Good enough for me!! Jerry should spend more time wondering why he's got no friends.  :2thumbs:

Anyone worried about china stuff on their car is silly.  I got repro parts.  Big woop.  Beats spending 10 times as much for N.O.S stuff.  Let the next owner throw out the china stuff and pay the bucks to replace the parts.  As long as it looks good, I'm cool.  :coolgleamA:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 23, 2009, 05:19:06 PM
We all knowI love my Charger but I say it the way it is. I found the sheet metal on my Charger to be a weaker or thinner grade than I've seen on the GM cars of the same era. Add much less panel and door undercoatings and I see why the Mopars seem to rust sooner and are so rare. I can take a needle nose pliers and just bend and twist the metal my car is made of. It may be the same grade but I do think the sheetmetal is of a thinner gauge?  That's my findings anyway. But there ain't nothing better than these American Detroit classics.
Gee let me guess, you disagree?  I knew that would go over well.  :hah: I was leaning on my fender one day and it popped in  :o I'm happy to say there was no crease marks but I was surprised how easy it popped inward.

Dude - I think your car was one of the rare, original acid-dipped S/Stock lightweights!  ;) My B-Bodies are stronger than strong. Now - If you are talking Challenger fender tops - they get all kinked up if you fart within 3 feet of them!  :yesnod:   :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 23, 2009, 06:26:33 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 23, 2009, 05:19:06 PM
Gee let me guess, you disagree?  I knew that would go over well.  :hah: I was leaning on my fender one day and it popped in  :o I'm happy to say there was no crease marks but I was surprised how easy it popped inward.

Dude - I think your car was one of the rare, original acid-dipped S/Stock lightweights!  ;) My B-Bodies are stronger than strong. Now - If you are talking see pic )Challenger fender tops - they get all kinked up if you fart within 3 feet of them!  :yesnod:   :cheers:
I'm just betting the gauge of steel used on the Mopars was thinner than the other 2 big brands. Anyone here in a body shop ever measure the difference?  My buddies door on his 71 GTO weighs about twice as much as my door and is rock solid whereas mine has a echo light weight sound to it ?
Also, how can the new Challenger which is smaller than the Charger, weigh in at about 4,200lbs and the hugh 69 Charger which is about 18 ft long and holding a huge cast Iron V8 weigh about 3,600ish lbs?
Something ain't right?  :-\

1969chargerrtse

Well I called AMD and the guy there said he thinks all 3 companies used the same 18 gauge. The only reason then that I can think of for the weight and solid feel on the GMs verses the Mopars is the thick :shruggy: undercoating that was sprayed on all the GM panels. My Charger doors and deck lid have a tin sound when shut compared to other cars I have seen and owned. My 69 Camaro door had a very thick tar type coating sprayed across the entire inner door steel where as the Charger has a thin 6" path at the lower base inside the door skin.   I dunno? Or really care.

SeattleCharger

??  I don't know, the door on my 68 felt pretty dang heavy to me, definately not tin sounding, very solid and stout, metal seemed plenty thick to me,  don't know about fenders.

so 18 guage isn't a measure of how thick the metal is?

69bronzeT5

no , i have rust free real 69's. 100% real factory sheet metal not 99% real taiwan cars

Some of us can't afford NOS sheetmetal or rust free cars like you obviously can. I know I can't. I have a rusty '69 and there is no way I can afford to restore it without using AMD metal. Who cares if I'll have Taiwan sheet metal on my car, it still means there will be another '69 out roaming the streets. I guess you haven't noticed since your head is so far up your ass. ::)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on July 24, 2009, 06:08:51 PM
no , i have rust free real 69's. 100% real factory sheet metal not 99% real taiwan cars

Some of us can't afford NOS sheetmetal or rust free cars like you obviously can. I know I can't. I have a rusty '69 and there is no way I can afford to restore it without using AMD metal. Who cares if I'll have Taiwan sheet metal on my car, it still means there will be another '69 out roaming the streets. I guess you haven't noticed since your head is so far up your ass. ::)
Dang I never seen you talk like that before.  :o