News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition problem (starter/electrical)

Started by canadian1974, July 16, 2009, 10:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian1974

Hi i have a 1974 charger with a small block engine. I've replaced the starter and sparkplug wires, cap/rotor and plugs. Timings set and all wires in the engine bay area are clean and have no corrision and are tight fitting. This being said heres my problem. The new starter wont turn over my engine(stock replacement,brand new) i turn the ingnition switch and some times you'll hear the starter start clicking or the imput shaft from the starter will pop back heck sometimes you dont get anything. i wondering if there might be a grounding problem or something else.
I need help to narrow it down because its at the body shop and i only get one day off a week from work when i can get into the shop, but i dont feel like being there all day fiddlin around. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nascarxx29

Was this starter bench tested from the parts store that supplied it. It could be defective.How old is the battery.Check positive cable and positive connection and neg- grounds.And connections at the starter relay. Also harness connections clean tight.What happens instead of using ignition column switch.You take a screwdriver to the starter relay and cross the pos stud where the pos connection bolts onto relay .To the brown wire that bolts on with a 1/4 or 5/16 head on the relay.And quickly bridge these to terminals to see if it cranks over then .Without going through the steering column.You can also go directly to the starter with a screwdriver and cross those 2 connection big and small .Or do it at the relay as early mentioned.It also could be the neutral saftey switch if it doesnt crank by the key.Last thought with a socket on the engine can it be turned freely.To eliminate and possibility of mechanical interference
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

canadian1974

Right on i'll try those next weekend when i get down to check it out. I never had the starter checked from the shop.