News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project Silver Fox AWD Updated 7/1

Started by motorcitydak, July 18, 2009, 12:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemisid

motorcitydak

Well I put the old front end back on for now. I just needed to see how my tires would fit on there. It is not fun wrestling with one of these things by yourself, its even worse when it is 20 and winds gusting to 50. Anyways, they tire fits, sort of. I will need to run the 17's for sure. My mock up tires are 16's and the upper ball joint and TRE get in the way. I think the 17x10's will fit, but I will have to add spacers to them. I am thinking 1.5 inch or so. I am going to side the tires out a little more and see what I end up with. They do fill the wheel well very nicely and come to just about the outside of my glass fenders. I will be cutting them to make a flare in em anyways, especially since I have to run a spacer and would like to be able to turn. I also painted the lower cowl area today. I had it orange to match the color I wanted the car. Well, I decided against that color now. I am not 100% sure on any color rite now so I painted it flat black. I know I cannot go wrong with that. I had a few more dents and fins to straighten out on the cowl too. It is completely fit on the car rite now and hopefully either saturday or next week I will weld it into place.

Tire is hitting the sway bar here, I will have to see what I can do about that

Turning the other way is no problem, it will only get better with a little more backspacing

Fit the fender on, sorry for the bad pic. My camera's flash is broken

Again, bad pics, sorry

96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

Merry Christmas Silver Fox! Yep, I finally decided on a name for my car. She will be called the Silver Fox because I love the lines and look of this car. It is also fitting because she is 42 and I am 23. The car will be silver with possibly a Hemi bill board and the flat black hood. I have also decided to shave the drip rails and not use any of the shiny stuff around the side windows.

I have been collecting these parts since just before xmas and have all the ones I am going to be getting for now so expect to see some more work very soon. I am sorry for the bad pics, there is something wrong with my camera. It figures that it would start screwing up rite after the 1 year warranty expires

Anyway, I have my tires for it. Like I have been planning, they will be the same size on all four sides. I will be running 315/30zr18's and 18x10 saleen mustang replica wheels. With some spacers I was able to get the front end to actually hold all that tire and it can turn lock to lock with out the tires contacting anything. I only have 1 wheel  now because I do not need any more for rite now. The other 3 tires are stacked up just patiently waiting

While 1 is sitting pretty on the rim and on the car rite now just so I can see how it will fit
Yeah, its big

The back at full turn to the right

and all the way to the left

Yes, I know that tire is on the wrong side. It will be running on the drivers side some day

The wheels it will be on

I did get some work done on it about a week ago tho, the 'new' cowl is now officially welded on. I am going to leave the seams like they are. It will be painted with epoxy primer when smoothed out with duraglass and bondo

I just got home from Mancini's today to get a pair of their weld in frame connectors. They are local for me  :nana:

I picked up some new sheet metal for it too a couple weeks ago. Got the two front floor boards and the back passenger side. They are all AMD pieces from Roseville Moparts, they are local too  :hah:

Last be certainly not least, I bought another grill for the car. It comes with the complete headlight setup that my buddy is sand blasting and painting for me. I will also have the actuators for it. I already had my grill support blasted and painted by him so I have 2 rite now. I will see which one is better and keep that one

This is the one that came with the car and has been cleaned up a lot

And the other one I have

I have this to make a patch for my grill

and of course the grill itself. It is sitting in my room on top of my TV to keep me motivated to fix up the car

The only problem with the grill that needs fixing

These ends are broken too but the bumper covers that up anyways

Well that is all for now. I will now be focused on getting work done to the car especially when it warms up a little bit. The next part I will be buying for the car will be a Moser Circle Track full floating 9 inch rear axle housing. That will hopefully be done with in a month. Thanks for looking!

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

HighFlyingWedge69

Looking good.  Would you be up to sell the grill frame your not using? e mail me.  :cheers:

Rolling_Thunder

Damn - gotta love us 23 year old kids with our Chargers....         A couple of us shaved drips around here (Pete, Mike, myself) and we all seem to like them just fine.  I had a customer 1969 Charger painted Lexus silver with shaved rails and it looked amazing.     

Looking good on the progress - forgive my ignorance but you plan on flaring the fenders in the front ? 315 is a wide ass tire and I skimmed your thread

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

motorcitydak

I cannot sell the other grill support. That was part of the deal when I bought it. I would take it and return the one I did not want, sorry

The fenders and quarters will be flared out. I will have fiberglass parts there so it will be really easy. I did set the fender over the tire and it actually almost fits with the wheel straight. I am planning on cutting it about an inch from the wheel well and pushing it out about 2 inches then glassing it all back up
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

b5blue

motorcitydak

Well to make this 3rd page even longer, I went out to the car and threw a few sparks today.

First thing I did is pick up a sweet new piece that I will have to wait till later to show off because the pics I got of it are horrible. Then I got home and got to work. I had to pull the front suspension back off again to I could spin the car easier, which does not take that long anyways.

Then I got around to fitting this in. The front and rear are welded in, but the floors have to go so they will get welded up after that fitting. The connectors are from Mancini's. I wish I could say that I was impressed with their fit...Im not. I will prob use 1/8x1/2 flat bar to fill all those gaps and seal up any other gaps with silicone to keep everything protected.

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

I really hope this gets the thread to the 4th page, page 3 is way too long...

Had a few hours on the car today and decided that I wanted to be standing up while doing my work today instead of laying on the ground like I did last week to put in the frame connector. So today I decided it give the drivers side drip rail the axe (or grinder). It took about 3 hours or so then I had to turn it because I could not feel my feet anymore, anyways on to the pics

Now you seem em

Started at the back and worked my way forward

Got all the way up here!

Looks so much better now

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

Went over it all with a grinding wheel

Then I met my new best friend, the 80 grit flap wheel

The final result from today

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

Well its tuesday so I got some more work done on the car and its time for an update. I started today off by dealing with the passenger side drip rail that I did not get to last week. I must have learned a few tricks from doing the other side because this one only took me about 2 hours total.

After that, I went back to the drivers side to start dealing with the swiss cheese mess of a floor that I had. It took quite a while and was a real PITA! I can only imagine that who ever invented spot welds is one of the most hated people in the auto restoration industry. I just wish someone would invent a spot weld cutter that was as effective as those dam things are at hiding. I luckily have brand new AMD floors that are waiting to go in. The drivers side is sitting in the car rite now waiting for next week. Here is what I finished my day off with

The back was not really too bad

and only a few short hours later

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

Got home last night and this was blocking my driveway, any guesses?

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

R2

HARDCORE.... :cheers:
you got heat out there ?
Used to live in Michigan,,,and winters can be brutal....
Nice work,,,,have been following this thread for a while,,,,
:2thumbs:

motorcitydak

Quote from: R2 on February 27, 2010, 07:43:30 AM
HARDCORE.... :cheers:
you got heat out there ?
Used to live in Michigan,,,and winters can be brutal....
Nice work,,,,have been following this thread for a while,,,,
:2thumbs:

Nope, no heat. I just bundle up a little but more. When my hands of feet get cold, I just hit em with the mapp gas torch. It really does work out nicely, except last time when I burned thru the laces on my boots. Thanks for the compliments tho

Sorry Tan Top, I already have my floor pans, guess again.....
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Silver R/T

^^^^ Is it quarter panel?
Nice resto mod btw and you're doing it in backyard in a carport!!! Mad props man!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ACUDANUT

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

HITMAN 149

well it looks bigger than a bread basket!?!?!?  :nana:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

motorcitydak

Thanks, Im glad you like it. I have to make do with what I have available to me, so yeah Im out there in the dirt screwin around with my car whenever I can.

Ok guys, Ill let the cat out of the bag. I got my rear axle for the car. It is a Moser Circle Track housing. It is a full floating 9 inch that I had custom built to my specs for not really that much $. Plus it weighs under 100# for everything I have here (take THAT dana 60!). I got it without brackets because I am building a 3 link in the rear but you can order it with the brackets for your car if you want. Check it out

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

b5blue

motorcitydak

Did a little bit of work on the car today, spent the next few hours designing the rear setup and brackets. This is all at ride height, the tires will sit about 1/2 inch farther but they still come inside the rear quarters so I will not be flaring them out at all.

Designed this rear setup off here http://www.racetec.cc/shope/tim.39.htm
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

tan top

:coolgleamA: good stuff going on there :coolgleamA:  was a axle in the box   :coolgleamA:  thats going to look mean ! that wide rubber out back awesome :yesnod:  keep the pictures coming  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

motorcitydak

Yep, the axle is what came in that big ole box last week. I was really excited to get it. I had been planning it since early december. I love how it looks with all that tire out there. It will look even better with the same amount of tire in the front too ;). I mite need to order another wheel for the car soon so I can have one for the other side since I only have the 1 rite now.

I am going to be working on mounting the rear axle in so I can roll the car around if I need to
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected