News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project Silver Fox AWD Updated 7/1

Started by motorcitydak, July 18, 2009, 12:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSmithersCharges

Wow!  Awesome work!  If b5 doesn't need that part around the sail panel I sure do  :2thumbs:

Anywho keep up the good work your thread inspires me... Mainly because your doing all your work in a tent-like structure, so am I  :lol:

b5blue

I just need by the side window, you need the sail panel area section?  :scratchchin:

tan top

beenn busy !!  worst part cutting & cleaning up  :rotz: time consuming :yesnod:  , keep the pictures coming ! good stuff  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

motorcitydak

Quote from: b5blue on May 08, 2010, 02:21:29 PM
Hey I could sure use the section off that 1/4 around the rear side window, mine looks like Swiss Cheese around that lip that the beltline molding and outside window seal attach to. Let me know!  :drool5:

Take some pictures of yours so I know the areas that you need. I will then draw on mine with a marker showing where I can cut it for you. If you ok it then I will dice it up and send you the pieces
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: b5blue on May 08, 2010, 02:59:04 PM
I just need by the side window, you need the sail panel area section?  :scratchchin:

Yes sir!

b5blue

b5blue

Sorry it took so long! (Hope you still have it).....Anything close to this is fine!  :2thumbs:

b5blue

OH CRAP I shot the wrong side of the car! But you can see what I mean, the rust runs mostly under the belt-line molding and down inside the lip that everything attaches to, even up the curve to the rear.(That my EX body guy put Bondo over!)

motorcitydak

B5, I still have the quarter and I taped off an area that I can cut out for you to use. Let me know of this will work for your car. Keep in mind that I did cut off the flange that actually joins the quarter to the roof skin so you will have to keep yours. Also, the flange at the door jamb is bent around a little as I was removing it but the actual body part looks to be straight. The only 'damage' to the area is two sheet metal screws that someone put into there from some unknown reason. They look like they were placed, maybe welded then the heads were cut off. Take a look at these pics and let me know what you think.

A little bit rusty as you can see

But it seems to clean up nicely and quite easy

I really have to advise using a rust treatment on these before it would hit the car

Showing the screws that are in there

How they look on the outside. I did not even know these were screws until after I pulled off the quarter. It looks like the vinyl top moulding will cover these up if you plan to use those

Ok, now for a little update on the work Ive done over the last few weeks. I have not had very much time to give to the car, but still got some work done

I had to patch up some odd looking damage to my new 68 quarter panel.....

I also addressed the inside of it with some eastwood rubberized undercoating

Then the area under the quarter got the 3 step POR-15 treatment which came out great

Today I tossed the new quarter on the car. This is just the first of a few fittings for this. I have to remove it to clean off and prep all the flanges before it gets welded on for good. There also a few small rust spots that need attention before this is in place for good

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

Almost forgot, I got these for the rear 3 link arms

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

kamkuda

Great work.  You are persistant.  Those links are really heavy duty :coolgleamA:

Darkman

Good job on getting all of those for a dollar  :icon_smile_big:
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

motorcitydak

Quote from: Darkman on June 08, 2010, 05:30:48 PM
Good job on getting all of those for a dollar  :icon_smile_big:

:lol: It actually took him and 140 of his closest friends. Thats a really good price tho
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

motorcitydak

Wow, a whole month gone by without any real progress. I need to get at this car more often. I was doing a few small things but nothing big. Just getting the quarter panel ready for today. That means that she is a little bit more like a car rite now. The CBD quarter is fully welded on, the welds are ground flush and painted with POR-15. I do not think this thing could ever rust. I have covered every square inch of it in something to keep it nice. Here is what I have rite now. Next step is to get the rear axle set up

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

motorcitydak

So, I also have an update on the car from today. I will be moving to my own place soon so the fox is going to have to be mobile. I can simply bolt the front end back on but the rear is another thing. It still has quite a bit of work to do before I can put the rear axle in. I am just using the stock leaf spring brackets for the lower control arm mounts with the bolt locations moved. The only big project here is the upper control mount on the body.

I am using my usual 1/8 inch laminated plate idea to built the mount. Since this one will see almost 3000 pounds of tension, I made it a little bit longer.

I put a back on it which will be welded to the floor

I figured out where the mount will have to be which meant that some of the pinion snubber bracket had to go

Now, some people feel that this sheet metal is strong enough to be able to hold a control arm mount (cough cough XV performance), I for sure do not.....

Not without this at least. I angled the cuts to 5 degrees. This creates a wedge which will be more stiff

It is 1x2 1/8th wall steel tube. Because this mount will see tension, I built it so force would cause the tube to be pushed out towards the frame rails even harder. This will for sure provide a rock solid mount. It got welded rite to the top of the mount itself

Here it is sitting in place, not welded home quite yet. There is one screw holding it in thru the back plate of the mount

After that, I realized that the link would hit the bracket when the axle traveled upwards so it had to be clearanced a little then welded and smoothed over

I also had to weld up one of the bolt holes I drilled in the stock leaf spring brackets since it was about 1/4 inch off somehow. I will just re drill it in the proper location

I could then put my links together for mock up. They are just tacked together for now so I can make sure they are the proper length. The lowers are 22 long, the upper is 8 for packaging reasons. The rod ends and tube adapters came from Ruff Stuff Specialties. The tube is 1.5 inch OD 0.120 wall DOM. If you guys need any kind of metal, check out onlinemetals.com. I bought all my stuff from there and they are way cheaper than anywhere around here or on the web. Shipping was only 20 bucks and I got most of it in 1 day

This came from them too. Since the rod ends have a mounting width of 2 inches and the leaf springs were wider than that, I will use this 1.5 inch solid aluminum rod to make spacers so everything is a tight fit

That is all for now, thanks for reading. I am hoping that one or two more days of work on the car will have it back on the ground and ready to go to the new house
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

6pkrtse

Awesome job on the resto. It was alway my under standing & the way I have always done it to do a quarter panel with the doors & fender still intact (if possible). To make sure you get all of the body lines lining back up correctly with the new quarter.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

motorcitydak

I got a lot of work done today, check it out....

First off was a little work for B5blue. His car rusted out around the side window so I am sending him this piece of my quarter. You can see the piece I still have, if anyone needs another piece just let me know.

This is his piece

and what I still have left. ZSmith, let me know if you still want the sail panel or if anyone else would like it

I set the lower links into their new homes, the old leaf spring brackets

Complete with the spacers I made from that 1.5 inch aluminum rod

Partially welded in the the upper bracket crossmember

And it has a rear axle again!!!!

The upper is hitting its axle bracket so that will have to be clearanced

With that in place I jacked up the car a little higher to finally get it off the rotisserie for the first time in about a year

After that, I had to put the front K member back on to get some wheels on the car. I really wish it was easier to get that K member back on by yourself, o well.

I still have the 4 rollers that were on it when I bought it thankfully. I however only had enough lug nuts to put one tire on it. I then remembered that when I was pulling the rollers off the car that I put the old lug nuts in an old stump rite by the drivers rear tire......so I went there and dug em up

This thing has more flex than my truck!!! By the way, there is the stump my lug nuts spent a year in

Ready for landing

Touch down!!!!!!

Yeah, I got a little excited here

It was getting dark so not much more work could be done. Just to see it, I set all the fiberglass pieces in place (loosely)

Actually looks like a car again. Its really low too. Ride height will be up another 2 inches in the rear and 3 or 4 in the front maybe. Its sitting on the bumpstops in the front rite now

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

b5blue

The Fox has landed! Thanks the window chunk is great and badly needed.   :2thumbs:  Good luck on the move to the new home!   :cheers:

Al

You are doing impressive work. Fascinating story. Keep us updated.  :2thumbs:
Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Duran75

motorcitydak

Well guys it really sucks that I have not been able to lay a finger on my car in a really long time. Ive been dealing with buying my own house and had my brothers bachelor party to plan. Now that all that stuff is done, it is moving day for the Silver Fox. Rite now it is sitting in my moms garage just waiting for the tow truck to show up some time in the next few hours. I just pushed it it out of the tent it has lived in for over the last year so I got a few shots of it out in the open. Tonight I will get it into my own garage where I will get it back up onto the jack stands and start working on removing the passenger side quarter panel.

Ready to go!

'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

HOTROD

:2thumbs: I like this guy he is doing it his way and making his own parts  :popcrn: what are u going to do with the sail panel $ how much ?
What the Hell-Dumass !