News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One Year Later

Started by Projekts, July 17, 2009, 02:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Projekts

So I bought my car a year ago. Since then I have spent a lot of time here reading up on how to fix the problems I've had. The help here has been invaluable to me, and I have also really enjoyed watching the progress as you guys fix your cars. So I figured it was time to stop mostly lurking and show you what I'm working on as well.

Thanks,
Justin

Here is what it looked like when I got it. It's a 1970 RT/SE

Projekts

I live in a San Diego where space is at a premium, so after it sat in my driveway about 5 months I moved it to my Father-in-Law's house. I fixed a lot of the interior parts during that time. So we took it mostly apart and I started bead blasting it to figure out what was under all of the Bondo.

I have been cutting, fabricating, and welding the body back together this summer. I have another shock tower for the passengers side ready to go in, all I have to do is lift the car. However it is about 115 degrees in the desert right now and I can't get anyone to come out and help out for an afternoon. Fortunately for me I have plenty of welding left to do on the roof, sail panels, deck filler panel. . .

69bronzeT5

Wow, you've been busy! Keep up the good work. :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

captnsim

1969chargerrtse

Thanks for sharing.  Great work.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69*F5*SE

Cool project. Keep us updated, especially with some pics.  It's very inspiring.   :cheers:  Ted

skip68

:2thumbs:   Great work.  Keep it going.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

The70RT

Great car. Looks like you did a lot so far. :2thumbs: 115.....DAMN  :flame: It has been hot here lately untill today....record lows tonight maybe  ;D (upper 50's) It has been easily a 100 in my garage for the last month or so with high humidity. I may get back out there this weekend.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back N Black

Nice work,keep the pics coming.  :2thumbs:

BB1

I'll be living in San Diego in a few weeks, if you need any help give me a call.  :2thumbs:
Charger man since 1983.
Delete my profile

Projekts

Thanks Guys I really appreciate the words of encouragement. Really I'm just trying to catch up with you. I'll make sure to take loads of pictures.

Quote from: The70RT on July 17, 2009, 07:55:27 PM
Great car. Looks like you did a lot so far. :2thumbs: 115.....DAMN  :flame: It has been hot here lately untill today....record lows tonight maybe  ;D (upper 50's) It has been easily a 100 in my garage for the last month or so with high humidity. I may get back out there this weekend.
Upper 50's? I hope it stays cool for you long enough to keep your garage below 100, humidity is a real killer. I'm back in San Diego cooling off, officially waiting on some sheetmetal shipments before I go back and face the real heat again.

Quote from: BB1 on July 18, 2009, 02:05:14 PM
I'll be living in San Diego in a few weeks, if you need any help give me a call.  :2thumbs:
Charger man since 1983.
Thank you I really appreciate it, I'll take all of the help I can get.

terrible one

Looking good man! Lots of stuff going on there. I can dig you on the heat and no one wanting to help you! Been 100-105 with 90% humidity most of my Charger days this summer  :rotz:

mopar73

Keep up the good work :2thumbs:  We always like pics

Silver R/T

lots of work done, dont quit now
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TiMopar

Good job there fella! Hope you are going to keep it Green!

Projekts

So now I've been working on this car for almost a year and a half! Time really flies. Here are some of the sheet metal repairs that have occupied my time.

The usual battery tray rot on the inner fender, I got a new/old one and only had to repair the back corner behind the hinge and move the hole for the battery hold down.

Projekts

I had to replace the radiator housing because the lower corners had rotted out behind the brazing. I fixed the holes in the upper housing that had been drilled out by the former owner for hood-pins. After I welded it back together I realized I didn't put the sides behind the frame rail tabs.  :brickwall:

So I cut out and put it back together correctly.

Projekts

I got a shock tower to replace the shock tower that had been cut, but when I got it the A-arm bracket was rusted out and unusable. So I tracked down an A-arm bracket and got it back together.

Projekts

I had to cut out the lower rocker corner where the water runs out of the cowl. It's rusted out on both sides but only a few inches so I was able to form some sheet stock for the repair. I still have to do the driver's side but it wasn't nearly as bad as the passenger's side.

BBKNARF

You have a lot of work ahead of you, don't quit, at times it will be frustrating, but at the end you will appreciated, good luck and keep us posted.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Projekts

After all of that I figured it was time to get it in some primer and test fit the panels.

I rebuilt the door hinges and added bushings to lower hinges, they open and close like butter.

Projekts

More.

Projekts

I had to track down some new/old hood hinges. When I got the springs off I realized that they were really locked up. After a few hours and a can of oil, I got them working pretty well.

Projekts

My gaps are looking pretty good on the passenger side, they are a little close but not too bad. The driver's side is the complete opposite, the gaps are too big. I didn't expect it to magically fit together at first, but one can always hope to get that lucky.

1969chargerrtse

Fantastic work.  Every time I see threads like this it makes me thrilled to know another beautiful 2nd gen Charger is saved.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bsakal

Nice work, you are giving me motivation!
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

69bronzeT5

Quote from: bsakal on January 11, 2010, 05:41:20 PM

Same here!!! Keep up the good job! :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

twodko

Good job buddy! I'm in NorCal and my 69 is waiting for paint. Your talent at metal working is an inspiration. Keep going.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Projekts

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 11, 2010, 05:20:22 PM
Fantastic work.  Every time I see threads like this it makes me thrilled to know another beautiful 2nd gen Charger is saved.
Thanks, I'm really just hoping my car comes out as well as yours.

Quote from: bsakal on January 11, 2010, 05:41:20 PM
Thanks, you guys motivate me too.

Quote from: BBKNARF on January 11, 2010, 04:55:02 PM
You have a lot of work ahead of you, don't quit, at times it will be frustrating, but at the end you will appreciated, good luck and keep us posted.  :2thumbs:
I don't think I'm smart enough to realize this car beat me, so I figure I'll just keep pounding away at it until it's finished.

Quote from: twodko on January 11, 2010, 06:15:22 PM
Good job buddy! I'm in NorCal and my 69 is waiting for paint. Your talent at metal working is an inspiration. Keep going.

Tom
I can't wait to see the paint, you are miles ahead of me.

lisiecki1

GREAT WORK!  Are those paint sags on the firewall, or wrinkles?

Keep it up....hopefully i'll be able to get to the body work portion of my 73 soon!
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Projekts

Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 12, 2010, 02:53:25 PM
GREAT WORK!  Are those paint sags on the firewall, or wrinkles?

Keep it up....hopefully i'll be able to get to the body work portion of my 73 soon!
Thanks. Those are wrinkles. I just shot enough paint to protect the car from rust, after all it rains about two times a year down here.

lisiecki1

I'm assuming it was hit hard at some point in time?  And kudos to you for saving something that was that damaged!  No big frame damage?

Chatt69chgr

All the interesting body work that you have done is giving me inspiration to get back on my project.  I've got to replace the trunk floor and the drivers side inner fender panel.  I drove down to AMD and picked up the sheet metal quite some time ago.  Keep the pictures of your progress coming.

Johnny SixPack

Lookin' good!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Way to save a Charger. :yesnod: :2thumbs:

Especially a '70 R/T SE.  :coolgleamA:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Paul G

Your going to have one hullava nice Charger when your done! Good job.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

66chargerkid

Wow keep up the good work!
Q

Projekts

Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 12, 2010, 04:08:33 PM
I'm assuming it was hit hard at some point in time?  And kudos to you for saving something that was that damaged!  No big frame damage?
Actually the wrinkles on the firewall are normal for second gen's, they all look like that, it comes from the forming of the metal. No frame damage.

lisiecki1

oh no kidding...I never knew that.

I can't wait to see it with some color on it!