News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I sell?

Started by bearbqd, July 16, 2009, 03:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearbqd

Ok, here's the situation. A friend of mine's brother in law is obsessed with my Charger.  I haven't even met the guy, but I keep hearing all this stuff he keeps saying about my car and how bad he wants it. They asked what it would take to sell it and I said that since I don't want to sell that it would be a lot more than it's worth, probably $18-20k. The thing is, they are talking about getting the money to get it even though we've told them that he could get a really nice one in that price range. He doesn't care, he loves mine. Would it be taking advantage of him to sell it for $7,500 more than I paid for it and then turn around an buy an even nicer one? I guess if he knows the deal then that's on him huh? What are your thoughts?
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Blown70

Nope (about feeling bad) and do it,  just make sure you know what out there!!!

moparstuart

if you told him up front you didnt wanna sell it , then you told him your pricing it high because you dont wanna sell it . You have been honest with him . SELL AWAY

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69*F5*SE

Take the money and run.   :Twocents:

PocketThunder

Sell it and it will still be in the family, sort of.. 

Then you can buy a 69 which is the best year anyways...  Or you can buy Stu's Charger 500.  :yesnod:  Stu do i get a finders fee?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Foreman72

Quote from: moparstuart on July 16, 2009, 03:48:18 PM
if you told him up front you didnt wanna sell it , then you told him your pricing it high because you dont wanna sell it . You have been honest with him . SELL AWAY

:iagree:

on the $$

you should buy a 3rd gen :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

bearbqd

If I bought another one, which I would, it would definitely be another 68. I love the whole blacked out, uninterupted grill the best on those.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

69charger2002

if he knows the true condition of the car, and is ok paying 18-20k for it, no big deal to me. who cares if you paid $7500 less for it, he doesn't know that, nor does he need to. if he's happy paying 18k, and you're happy accepting 18k, that's about as easy as it gets
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

moparstuart

Quote from: bearbqd on July 16, 2009, 04:14:34 PM
If I bought another one, which I would, it would definitely be another 68. I love the whole blacked out, uninterupted grill the best on those.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: 

68's are the best 

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Tilar

What you paid is irrelevant. You wouldn't sell it for what you paid and you shouldn't be expected to. If you want to sell it for 20k and make 7500 on the deal, consider it a finders fee with a chance to drive it for a while.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

teamroth

Sell it, and then tell him to come over here and become a member. Then we'll all tell him he paid about 7500.00 too much..........
:smilielol:
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

ChgrSteve67

chargergirl

He knows yours runs and how well it's built. Sell it for top dollar and move on to the new one. Then buy everyone a beer here on the site and we're all good and you have nice car! Canook Beer only thank you.
Trust your Woobie!

Dans 68

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 16, 2009, 03:53:16 PM
Then you can buy a 69 which is the best year anyways....

Going to have to put a nickname on you, Paul, aka Pocket "stirring the pot" Thunder.  :slap:  Good thing bearbqd already has his head screwed on tight, though.  :2thumbs:

Quote from: bearbqd on July 16, 2009, 04:14:34 PM

Dan (s 68)  :icon_smile_wink:

Oh...yes, sell it.
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Troy

Well, if you've already got what you want, why sell and try to find another? Nice cars aren't exactly easy to find and you're likely to overpay when/if you do find one. If, however, you wanted to step up to something rarer or maybe closer to your ideal (and you had already found it) I'd possibly recommend selling. If summer were over it would be a bit different but don't sell one in the middle of prime driving season.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

teamroth

Quote from: chargergirl on July 16, 2009, 05:51:45 PM
He knows yours runs and how well it's built. Sell it for top dollar and move on to the new one. Then buy everyone a beer here on the site and we're all good and you have nice car! Canook Beer only thank you.

I only drink Guinness...Thank you

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: teamroth on July 16, 2009, 06:44:10 PM
Quote from: chargergirl on July 16, 2009, 05:51:45 PM
Canook Beer only thank you.

I only drink Guinness...Thank you

We make that up here, too. My favourite!  :cheers:

teamroth

skip68

Sell it.  There are some good deals out there right now.   :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

AKcharger

G-man

A car is worth what someone wants to pay for it.

Who says yours is worth 7500 less?
The market?

Well you got a buyer (market) that says its worth 7500 more than you paid... so, sell it.

I paid 40k for mine, I got offered 70k. Guess when I plan if ever (have to) sell, Im not taking 1 cent under 70k even if I paid 40k for it becauseI have been ofered 70 therefor its worth 70.

Sell away if you dont mind waiting/looking for another one.

PS: the 7500 extra, would it cover your costs/problems/time of another 1 you buy? Then maybe its worth 15k more when you consider everything

Sergeant

Of course there shouldnt be any problems with making a bit of profit selling your car but that is different from taking advantage of someone. Since your even questioning it unknowing if it is right or wrong should also indicate a possible problem. Dont forget this is family of one of your friends.... What did you pay for the Charger and what is a matter with it?

Brock Samson

Quote from: bearbqd on July 16, 2009, 03:40:29 PM
Ok, here's the situation. A friend of mine's brother in law is obsessed with my Charger.  I haven't even met the guy, but I keep hearing all this stuff he keeps saying about my car and how bad he wants it. They asked what it would take to sell it and I said that since I don't want to sell that it would be a lot more than it's worth, probably $18-20k. The thing is, they are talking about getting the money to get it even though we've told them that he could get a really nice one in that price range. He doesn't care, he loves mine. Would it be taking advantage of him to sell it for $7,500 more than I paid for it and then turn around an buy an even nicer one? I guess if he knows the deal then that's on him huh? What are your thoughts?

I don't know when you bought yours or what you've invested in it so far,.. these things were appreciating approx. 8% a year,.. that said,.. I've had alot of folks come running up trying to get me to sell mine, but noone has ever had the proper amount of $ in hand,.. just silly low bid offers, so i basicly say "show me the money"...
Same thing with the Road Runner I hear alot of "I'm comming out to look at it", or, "I'll be back with the Money" but they never show.  :shruggy:

68charger383

It seems like you told him everything:

Priced at a premium since you didn't want to sell

He could get a better one for the $.

Sell and buy another.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bearbqd

Thanks for the input everyone and no I don't mind telling what I paid for it. I bought it last August from Craigslist. I talked the guy down from about $14k to $12.5K. It has new quarters, trunk, rear floors, a Jeg's 360/390 horse motor with about a thousand miles on it at the time. It's solid underneath but the paint is pretty terrible when you see it in the sunlight--swirlmarks galore, runs, that type of thing. With wheels, tires and other odds and ends, I've put about $2k into it. I just thought I got a way better deal at $12.5k then the shape I saw others in selling at that price. It is a base car, 318 originally, column shift, buddy seat car.

I'm throwing around a tentative plan in my head if they actually come through with that much money. You guys remember my other thread recently (look it up under my posts under my profile if you haven't) about the tip on an original R/T four speed car in my area that was owned by a couple that has now passed away? I haven't even seen this car, but it is bright yellow and may be a survivor car with low miles. The daughter still owns it and it is still in the garage behind the house where the couple lived. The house is vacant but cared for by the daughter. I was told she wants $28k for it. Only problem is its supposedly a 69, lol. I think I could live with that for such a pedigree car. I just don't know if I want to have to come up with an extra $8k if that is her bottomline. I've seen a lot of nice ones for under $20k in OldCar Trader and stuff like that. Wuttya think?
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

G-man

My charger is originally 318/auto but was fitted with a 4 speed hurst and a fresh rebuilt 750 miles only 383ci. Paint isnt crash hot (has chips in some spots) but looks great from distance (chips not visible). Original 14" magnum 500 wheels with the trim ring, interior perfect. New quarters and trunk floor solid underneath.

he wanted 24 500 I got it for 20k. The gearbox change itself would have cost me 5000 down here and about that much for a fresh rebuilt 383. So considering that, I got the car for 10k and 10k in engine + gearbox. Ive since invested 10k in it. Brand new bilsteins shocks, superstock springs, 1.125 F/sway bar, 0.96" T-bars, brand new 1150lbs heavy duty clutch (that it did need), pushrods, oilsump gasket, reverse light switch, spark plugs, oils, 750cfm HP Double pumper Holley carb, Alloy Intake manifold (dual plane), fixed the power steer leak and reconditioned the radiator, got an electric fan added to the existing fan + Labour to pull all this appart and put it all back together as I have no mechanical skills. Polygraphite bushings for the entire car, upper and lowr ball joins (full front end kit - all polygraphite and poly for SS springs) Front and Rear Seat belts and NOS mirrors which were 845US (near 1200 AU)

So pretty much 30k = brand new 4-speed 383 charger (mechanicaly without body work) I dont see why if you know how to do stuff yourself you couldnt do it even less. Ive seen people spend 50k and end up with something not as good as mine for half of that.

Dont buy the 69, in end you wont be happy. I baught a 70 Challenger thinking "yeah its good itl do" and guess what? Had to get rid of it to replace with the 68 Charger as the charger is a charger. Yes thats a litle different from replacing charger with another charger but if the 68 you like, the 69 will wear off you and then you will be selling it looking for a 68. Do it once do it right.

chargergirl

G-man is right...what does your Woobie tell you? That internal voice that says this is right or wrong. Never give up your dream for someone else's dream. Do you really want that car? If so great...but from reading this post all the way through you love your car and don't truly want to part with it. We have a beautiful 65 Belvedere race car sitting in the garage getting ready for Alabama show. Mark has been offered good money to sell it...he's been where you are...it is still here cause it is important to him. (What is important to him is important to me as well). Just cause it has sat on the back burner for a while while you get the money to do what you need to doesn't mean that it less important. Search you feelings on your car...don't sell if you truly don't want to.
Trust your Woobie!