News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Want answer!!! Regarding: Mechanic adjusted floats - 70 R/T SE with 440

Started by SanDiego70RTSE, July 14, 2009, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanDiego70RTSE

Hi,

My mechanic adjusted the floats on my 70 RT/SE 440. It has a 780 Holly Street Avenger 4 barrel. Before he adjusted them, the car had more power and did burn outs easier. Now, after he adjusted the floats,  I feel a slight decrease in performance. I can't do burnouts as easy. For example, I could be going 15-20 mph and stomp on it and light them up. Not anymore. What is causing this? What happened?

Please advise!

Thanks,
Mat

c00nhunterjoe

hmm, unless he has them way too high then i dont know what he could have done. you dont need a mechanic to check and adjust the floats, its a peice of cake. there are 2 plugs on the side of the bowl, one on the primary and one on the secondary bowl. with the engine idling you remove the screw and fuel should be just at the base of the hole. if fuel is pouring out then the floats are set too high.  if you are bogging down with low response after he tinkered with it then i would bet he has them too high

craig

there may be another answer....sounds like the accelerator pump circuit adjustment has been changed...could have happened accidentally when mechanic adjusted floats, especially if he inverted the carb with the top off...if it has a "stepped" lever, the timing of the pump shot can be adjusted...you want it to shoot a squirt of gas in sooner when you mash the pedal....if it comes later than it did before, you will notice a delay in acceleration....

Chryco Psycho

he may have also adjusted the timing / retarding it some this will kill performance

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"