News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6 pack

Started by victor08, July 13, 2009, 11:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victor08

was looking for a complete 6 pack kit to install in my 383 charger anyone know of any.
also is it pretty easy to adjust idle,air or is it to much of a hassel

b5blue

Read my topic "sick pack 440" for some info to help. There is good info here, do a search.

mauve66

lots of variations from stock to full rock, when i had mine the hardest thing to do was set the float level, change the secondary springs and set the choke thermostat (all of which were very easy) depending on the motor and what you want to do you can stay stock or go full tilt Proform kit with special metering blocks to DEFI 6pak, the sky is the limit
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

b5blue

I think he's referring to the idle circuit on the rear outboard's base.(?) 

mauve66

Quote from: b5blue on July 15, 2009, 07:01:10 AM

mine only idled on the center carb, the outers didn't even come in until you had a load on it, unless he goes to mechanical progressive linkage
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

victor08

Quote from: mauve66 on July 15, 2009, 06:29:39 PM

mine only idled on the center carb, the outers didn't even come in until you had a load on it, unless he goes to mechanical progressive linkage
i was referring to adjusting the idle, has anyone used the bill kay 6 pac kit i found it in the Mopar action mag.
Also i was told that 383 never did come with the 6 pack from factory is this true

Troy

Quote from: victor08 on July 15, 2009, 10:43:45 PM

i was referring to adjusting the idle, has anyone used the bill kay 6 pac kit i found it in the Mopar action mag.
Also i was told that 383 never did come with the 6 pack from factory is this true
It did not. I wasn't aware that they were still making the intake manifolds for the 383/400.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

victor08

Quote from: Troy on July 15, 2009, 10:46:47 PM

It did not. I wasn't aware that they were still making the intake manifolds for the 383/400.

Troy

check out www.billkayparts.com

b5blue

Factory six packs idle on all 3 carbs, the outboards have A/F needles in the base.The center has a true metering block with needles on the side. Once you get the hang of things set up and tune are not too bad. Modification and reliability are not an issue ether. Check out a Co. called PRO MAX, their making a base that angles the outboard's A/F needles so you can adjust them on the car.   

Troy

Quote from: victor08 on July 15, 2009, 11:39:55 PM

Troy

Yep, I see it. A while back I think they were made by Edelbrock but I hadn't seen one for a while. They were not a factory option though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

victor08

Quote from: Troy on July 16, 2009, 12:16:41 PM
Quote from: victor08 on July 15, 2009, 11:39:55 PM

Troy

Yep, I see it. A while back I think they were made by Edelbrock but I hadn't seen one for a while. They were not a factory option though.

Troy

pretty huh, now if i could get a hold of them maybe i could order it

mauve66

Quote from: b5blue on July 16, 2009, 07:29:09 AM
Factory six packs idle on all 3 carbs, the outboards have A/F needles in the base.The center has a true metering block with needles on the side. Once you get the hang of things set up and tune are not too bad. Modification and reliability are not an issue ether. Check out a Co. called PRO MAX, their making a base that angles the outboard's A/F needles so you can adjust them on the car.   

so your saying the carbs now don't work like the OEM did?

the center carb is the only one running at idle, you can take the linkage off the outers and drive it all day that way
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

62 Max

Quote from: mauve66 on July 16, 2009, 04:40:40 PM

the center carb is the only one running at idle, you can take the linkage off the outers and drive it all day that way

There are idle circuits in the end carbs.If you have doubts,take the ends off,block the intake openings then see if it idles.It won't! If you don't want to do that,find a shop manual and you can LEARN how they work. :Twocents:

victor08

Quote from: 62 Max on July 16, 2009, 08:19:01 PM

There are idle circuits in the end carbs.If you have doubts,take the ends off,block the intake openings then see if it idles.It won't! If you don't want to do that,find a shop manual and you can LEARN how they work. :Twocents:
talked to bill kay parts and they said only center one idles, outers only work when you punch it.
they said you should get at least 25 hp out of it

62 Max

Quote from: victor08 on July 16, 2009, 11:09:30 PM
Quote from: 62 Max on July 16, 2009, 08:19:01 PM

talked to bill kay parts and they said only center one idles, outers only work when you punch it.
they said you should get at least 25 hp out of it

That's the problem with unknowledgeable people working in parts depts.They know nothing about 40yr old cars.There "ARE" idle circuits in the end carbs.Do your homework.If you can't find it,I'll post it out of either a Holley tech svc manual or a 70's era Chrysler shop manual (your choice) then you can educate Bill Kay parts.

b5blue

62 Max is trying to set you right on this! Don't believe him? Get Larry Shepards Book on six pack engines, me...I've just been running mine 14 years  :cheers:

victor08

if you could get me some copiesof the service manual orwhat ever you have will work
thanks

62 Max

Quote from: victor08 on July 17, 2009, 01:23:26 PM
if you could get me some copiesof the service manual orwhat ever you have will work
thanks

Same applies to 440-6

victor08

Quote from: 62 Max on July 17, 2009, 02:09:31 PM
Quote from: victor08 on July 17, 2009, 01:23:26 PM
thanks

Same applies to 440-6
thanks im going to needed it

mauve66

well i guess i'm thinking that the lower throttle blades need to be open, even just a little, for it to idle.................  ???
i never had a problem with mine idling or running (that wasn't fuel pump related).  with the outer carbs totally disconnected from the linkage and the lower throttle plates closed it would idle perfect

is the fuel and air getting past the lower throttle plates somewhere else??

and i don't know why they state in that article that the carbs won't idle and will stall frequently, mine never did have any problems
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

b5blue

Well allot of guys don't know about killbeeds ether, the vacuum that opens your outboards....it's bled off internally and that sets how and when they come in more than the spring in the diaphragm pot. Outboard idle was set at the factory and they were covered with lead plugs because they shouldn't need adjusting on a stock setup from the factory, so they would be easy not to even notice.(or need to change) That tiny bit of A/F in the outboards and the vacuum secondary's is what separates our set up from tri power rigs of the previous 20 years mechanical adjustment nightmares. The darn thing has run very well for me for a really long time and if I knew what I know now I would not have picked up a used one and run it....I got lucky nobody messed it up first by changing stuff. Look up "Installation and Tuning of the Six Pak Induction System" by Dr. Jerry Binder it's one of the most comprehensive guides I've found....Jan. 92 Chrysler Power. (Sorry no link)   

mauve66

I wasn't arguing eith anyone, guess i got really lucky with mine, bought it new in 94, installed it on stock bottom end 383 with purple shaft .474 cam and it ran great all the time, never had to do anything out of the ordinary to it, i had to change the springs cause the outers were coming in too late and you could feel the "surge" when they came on instead of it being seemless power.  i used the info in a old (not Haynes manual but the other company, can't think of it now :brickwall:), Chiltons maybe??.  it had a section on setting the choke and setting the return linkage up and thats all i needed
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

b5blue

They are a good working system, 6 years daily driving and just one tiny leak! They would have ROCKED if they had made it to the Hemi!  :2thumbs: