News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carlisle Recap

Started by Troy, July 13, 2009, 02:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Well, we've reached the end of another Carlisle show. I hope everyone who attended made it home (and there) safely and enjoyed the trip. I had the pleasure of meeting several new members and reuniting with many more but it seems that I missed a bunch as well and I regret that. I need to apologize for not having as many group activities/gatherings as we've had in the past - especially the group photo. I made an incorrect assumption that there wasn't much interest (based on the number of members at the show vs the number of members who showed up for the picture). Even if only a handful show up it's still worth it to meet face to face. In addition, the last two years I barely got to check out any cars so I was determined to spend more time wandering in the show field. That mostly explains why I wasn't in the tent when everyone else seemed to stop by. On a related note, my ride in to the show this year left the hotel a bit later in the morning than last year (luckily for me :P) but that also resulted in less time on the grounds.

Along with some help I've already started making plans for next year. Since we had a decent (impromptu) crowd at the tent just before the rain on Saturday, I'm going to propose that we meet next year somewhere between 3:00 and 4:00 PM on Saturday. That's before the burnout and bikini contests but after lunch. It may also be late enough so that our members in the swap area can sneak away for a bit. Additionally there should/will be more opportunities to get together. We're in the real early planning stages but I'll keep posting updates as we go. As many of you noticed, our tent moved this year - presumably since the 1969 cars were all out by the dealer and we're usually located in or next to them. Hopefully we'll be back in the usual spot next year. I wish we knew prior to the show where the tent would be but we generally don't know the exact location until Wednesday/Thursday when the show opens.

Congratulations to all who won awards! We had a large number of cars in the special display areas this year as well.

Lastly, I'd like to know if anyone had "issues" with their hotel bill when they checked out? Gene (Hemigeno) has been nice enough to start putting together a group rate for next year but I'd like some feedback from everyone who stayed with us. Details to come.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

resq302

Troy,

Nice to meet up with you a couple times during the weekend.  Had a blast.  Don't know if we will be there next year or not.  All depends on the wife and if she "lets" me go.  Hopefully it would be a first that I could go 2 years in a row.  And if that is the case, the charger will be out on the field instead of inside the dealer display. :icon_smile_wink:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

jb666

Very cool!! Next year I'll be a bit more "prepared" to make the show.. In fact, I've already discussed it, with Mike.  :cheers: :cheers:

aone415

Pop and I will DEFINATELY be in attendance for 2010 

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

Old Moparz

Geez, Troy is the site administrator so you'd think he'd notice there's already Carlisle threads he could've posted this brown nose stuff in. 

:lol:

This show really was great, & the biggest one yet from what I remember. They announced that it was up about 150 cars from last year & that they had 2200 of them. I only missed the first Mopar show at Carlisle, but have been to all the others since. The forums & message boards started long after the Carlisle shows did, & I think it's pretty cool to make friends with so many people on here & a couple of other sites that I've probably walked past at shows before.

It's just as much fun catching up with people at the shows every year as it is to see the show cars & find some parts. The only bad parts about going to Carlisle is that there never seems to be enough time to see everything & be able to meet up with the others that make it, & then trying to place real names with user names.  :lol:

My wife had a good time & said she wouldn't mind helping out at the tent with some food next year if she goes. But remember, she said that, not me, so if she doesn't go next year, I'm not covering for her unless people like to eat toast since that's the only thing I can cook.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 13, 2009, 04:16:13 PM
This show really was great, & the biggest one yet from what I remember. They announced that it was up about 150 cars from last year & that they had 2200 of them.

That's great to hear. IMO, the Mopar show here grew also! Seems like more cars showed up.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Tilar

Well, I gotta say that I really enjoyed it. I spent a couple+ months wages on parts, Met some really cool people and got to see some very fine automobiles. The only thing that I didn't see that I really wanted to see was the retro Dealership. I just didn't take the time.   :shruggy: 
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

CB

Troy, did you meet Dirk aka Doc74 at the show? Did he bring ( or still have) his orange Charger?
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Just 6T9 CHGR

Another one down and as usual didnt get to see/do it all....seems like theres not enough time in the day.  Stopped by the tent a few times on Friday & Sat only to find it empty....except for Bob being there with his wife holding down the fort.  did see Ron (y3chargerrt) under the 69 class courtesy tent outside the dealer.  Got to see most of the usual faces again as well as spin a few out at the Go Kart track ;)
This was the most stress free show for me yet, thanks to being in the dealer...4 days of covered storage was a blessing.  Actually was hoping it would rain at least one day to make it more worth while ;) Was a total surprise that Ed chose my car to be in there.  There was a lot of awesome iron in the dealer....anyone catch the unrestored X9/R6 Hemi Charger 500 in there? :drool5:
Averaged 13 mpg on the way down & 14.5 on the way back....car still has the friggin vibration between 62-70 mph only on acceleration though.  Thinking it might be the rear.....
Oh well...until next year!  :drive:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bsakal

I spent some time at the tent on saturday with HemiDoug, a cool young fellow from Brooklyn who has a third generation and his fiance (Daria?) (she got a ride in HemiDoug's car), and a few others. I even found time to take a 10 or 15 minute nap on the grass under the tent. Sorry I didn't get to run into people that I usually greet.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

Troy

Toast for everyone!  :woohoo:

And yeah, I needed my own thread to see if anyone would actually answer my questions...

Nice to see you again Brian (resq302) and nice to meet you Tilar. I did not know Dirk was going CB. Was he there? His car is still in my garage. Sorry bsakal, I did see you but didn't make it to that side of the tent in time.

Chris, since I'm such a slacker and I talk to much, I ended up staying real late. Luckily for me, I stuck around late enough to meet the owner(s) of the X9 Hemi 500 as he and his wife were loading the car. Very nice people and a really interesting car. I took a bunch of pictures and I will post several once I get them resized.

Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: CB on July 13, 2009, 05:17:14 PM
Troy, did you meet Dirk aka Doc74 at the show? Did he bring ( or still have) his orange Charger?
CB

Is that the 70 Hemi R/T SE 4 speed - Orange with the white roof? If so, we shot the breeze for awhile while the dealers (buzzards) circled. Nice car - he did a good job.

Troy

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 13, 2009, 07:33:17 PM
Quote from: CB on July 13, 2009, 05:17:14 PM
CB

Is that the 70 Hemi R/T SE 4 speed - Orange with the white roof? If so, we shot the breeze for awhile while the dealers (buzzards) circled. Nice car - he did a good job.
Nope, it's a '69 383 auto car (originally R6 with white top) but I did see the one you were talking about. By the time I saw it no one was left...

Troy

firefighter3931

Excellent show but as usual did not get to spend nearly enough time meeting the members.  :P It seems that time just flies by and before you know it the show is over.  :-\

Planning to be there again next year.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

kamkuda

Thanks to Genooooooo for organizing the Hotel  :cheers:
Rob

resq302

Ron,

I saw you briefly heading out on Sunday.  I was the guy in the silver/gray flareside F150 who passed you on Rt. 11.  Figured it had to be you since it had Ontario plates and the IAFF decal in the rear window. :2thumbs:  I also have something for you too.  When you get a chance, PM me your mailing address.

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

tommymac

I also had a great time ,Meeting some members and a lot of walking ,buying and looking ,still not seeing everything,thanks to everyone and see you next year.

bill440rt

Hard to believe another Carlisle show has passed. As usual, it was an AWESOME time!  :2thumbs:
REALLY great hanging with fellow members of this board, it truly makes the show that much more enjoyable. Just6T9, ChrisG., Kevin69RTvert, Troy, hemigeno, firefighter, 1hot68, hemidoug, autodynamics, resq302, moparjohn, (and anyone else I may have missed). Who can forget the awesome late-night go-kart battles? When else do I have the opportunity to put Troy into the wall?? Maybe we'll let you win next year!  ;) :D

Of course, there are some OUTSTANDING cars to see at this show as well! Congrats to fellow members Kevin69RTvert, Just6T9, ChrisG, moparjohn, & resq302 for having their cars on special display in the the Invitational Building T and the '69 Dealer Display. My personal fave (other than those, of course), had to be that black '69 500 in the dealer!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:   What a car!!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Troy

I posted a couple pictures of the black 69 500 in the pics thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59202.msg661780.html#msg661780

I got beaten pretty badly in every go kart race. I think everyone took a shot at putting me in the wall. :D

Troy

resq302

Quote from: bill440rt on July 14, 2009, 08:30:47 AM
Hard to believe another Carlisle show has passed. As usual, it was an AWESOME time!  :2thumbs:
REALLY great hanging with fellow members of this board, it truly makes the show that much more enjoyable. Just6T9, ChrisG., Kevin69RTvert, Troy, hemigeno, firefighter, 1hot68, hemidoug, autodynamics, resq302, moparjohn, (and anyone else I may have missed). Who can forget the awesome late-night go-kart battles? When else do I have the opportunity to put Troy into the wall?? Maybe we'll let you win next year!  ;) :D

Of course, there are some OUTSTANDING cars to see at this show as well! Congrats to fellow members Kevin69RTvert, Just6T9, ChrisG, moparjohn, & resq302 for having their cars on special display in the the Invitational Building T and the '69 Dealer Display. My personal fave (other than those, of course), had to be that black '69 500 in the dealer!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:   What a car!!!

Actually, I think that Ed B. who came up with the display might be renaming it next year.... the DodgeCharger.com display. :smilielol:
Brian

resq302

Quote from: Troy on July 14, 2009, 09:03:03 AM
I posted a couple pictures of the black 69 500 in the pics thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59202.msg661780.html#msg661780

I got beaten pretty badly in every go kart race. I think everyone took a shot at putting me in the wall. :D

Troy

Thats cause everyone loves you Troy! :rofl:
Brian

CB

Quote from: Troy on July 13, 2009, 07:14:59 PM
I did not know Dirk was going CB. Was he there? His car is still in my garage.

Sorry Troy, I haven't heared from Dirk in a long time. Last thing I know that he's working and living with Emmy in Detroit?
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

41husk

Quote from: kamkuda on July 13, 2009, 08:34:48 PM
Thanks to Genooooooo for organizing the Hotel  :cheers:
Rob
Rob, It was nice meeting you and seeing that beutiful convertible, and thanks for the Canadian beer I am pretty sure those are the two that caused me headache Saturday morrning.  It couldn't have been the 4 American one before those or the 5 after :shruggy: :cheers:.  I wish I could have met more people as well, but the people I met were all great. Kyron, I look foreward to seeing that moter home towing a DMCL Charger :2thumbs:
Troy, Thanks for the tent.  Did we have enough members to get it free?  Geno Thanks for getting the rooms blocked.  I hope any of you who go to Monster Mopar can make it over to the Mopad one night.  If Rob comes I will be sure to have some Canadian beer.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Chris G.

One of my favorite moments was standing in the Dealership almost all by myself with Dan Grotheer and they had videos of old drag racing playing on the wall near him. His eyes were glued on to it. I was thinking...man, this guy lived that stuff and was there. I could only wish to travel back in time to see that in person.

My worst moment...slamming Geno not once, but twice in Kart racing. He had both races locked up, but I spun him and felt terrible afterwards. Sorry Bud.  :icon_smile_blackeye: :cheers:

But... :D

hemigeno

Quote from: Chris G. on July 14, 2009, 02:40:06 PM
My worst moment...slamming Geno not once, but twice in Kart racing. He had both races locked up, but I spun him and felt terrible afterwards. Sorry Bud.  :icon_smile_blackeye: :cheers:

But... :D

Yeah, I could see how much it pained you...   :lol:

:cheers:

Hey, I'm just glad you guys remembered to check if some of the rest of us wanted in on the fun!

Quote from: kamkuda on July 13, 2009, 08:34:48 PM
Thanks to Genooooooo for organizing the Hotel  :cheers:
Rob

No prob, and I think we'll have an easy time of it next year also.  When it comes time to talk about what next year's rate will be, I'll remind the hotel that the big Canuck who almost climbed over the counter is with our group...  They'll be paying US to stay there...   :rofl:   Second floor pool view room indeed...

Oh, and Troy, next year I'll be back on the early-entry strategy.  At least you'll have a year to prepare!